Ran over something in the road..

My guy down the road is going to get it up on his lift next week. He's not the type to touch things that don't need touching, unless requested, but will replace what he sees as broken.

I can slide around underneath the truck pretty well as it sits and luckily can't see/feel/hear anything else that damaged. I've put 400+ miles on it since the incident.

Hopefully the cable kits and hardware I bought it all he needs. He may opt to use something else, which is fine too. I'll return what I have.

It tore up pretty much everything mechanical, under the driver's side of the car. Including the left side of the engine and all drive components and steering.
The hours I'm on the road and the things I've encountered in my path make me grateful I drive something substantial with some ground clearance.

I would love to double my fuel economy and perhaps some day I'll be forced to, but for now ~20mpg with my Ram isn't so bad.

The roads leading to where I work flood during every heavy rain as well. A foot or more of water is not uncommon. Plus craters that would swallow a Prius thanks to the constant tractor-trailer traffic.

Last edited:
The worst road hazard I hit was in my 2001 Stratus coupe (Eclipse) back in college. A giant piece of metal on the highway I couldn't navigate around. I heard it hit and it made a huge noise, turns out it poked a hole in the floor pan under back passenger footwell! Another foot back and it would have hit the fuel tank. Filled it with JB weld and hit it with a can of undercoating.

We are suffering a pandemic of slow moving and improperly secured landscaping and repair vehicles in our area. They all go at most 10mph below the speed limit. They're loaded with weed eaters, mowers, ladders, etc. They create long lines of slow moving traffic, spill crap all over the roads and generally make people miserable.

Thanks. Been waiting to get that off my chest.
Spot on and I see it quite often... Guys that do landscaping, cement work, tile, etc. pulling all sorts of crap on beat to death trailers, shoved in the back of vans with the doors wedged open, you name it. How those things are considered the least bit legal/safe is beyond me, but I did recently spot a work truck carrying a load of guys in the back with no tailgate and they got pulled immediately and I imagine that was why. Those guys were literally stacked in the bed of the truck hitting Interstate 85/40 at decent speed with no respect to their safety at all.

Just a follow up on this.

The shop I use down the road fixed my truck today with the parts I supplied.

I really lucked out. One hour labor, cleaning supplies, sales tax: $125+2.50+11.16 = $138.66. The parts were ~$34.

He didn't have to use the doorman intermediate cable. He said it didn't really need it and the end didn't fit the coupler anyway (Doorman). Everything else under the truck looked good he said.

I think it was around a $12 part. Not sure if it's even worth sending back to Rock Auto.

Back