RAM Warranty Visit

It may not but you don’t want them to have uneven wear or not match. And I don’t want a bearing have uneven wear on something anyway no matter the mileage. It’s not about being rich it can save you money in the long run last time I checked the parts place wouldn’t sell you just a single part if it has another on the other side.
This topic has been beaten to death, but I'll just add this:

The logic of replacing both hub assemblies together is flawed. The first corner you take with two new wheel bearings will result in uneven "wear". These parts do not work in unison, they wear independent of one another. Typically the left side wheel bearing will wear out faster in RHD countries as the left side of the vehicle is loaded more often than the right. But there's so many different variables at play (manufacturing tolerances, potholes, etc.) it's difficult, if not impossible to predict when one might fail-- mileage alone is a poor predictor.

Sure, you'd typically replace brake or many suspension components in pairs, but that's a poor comparison. The wheel bearings, provided they are in serviceable condition (no excessive play or runout), do not alter the driving characteristics of the vehicle. Having one side with 100k and the other one new makes no difference.

If one wants to replace the other side preemptively because of mileage, it's their wallet. But I can assure you the manufacturers are not going to replace a part that isn't broken when there's no reason to. Personally I'm not a proponent of replacing good parts unless there's some benefit to it like a significant labor savings (e.g replacing water pump during a timing belt service) or the part is ridiculously cheap (e.g spark plug.) On a wheel bearing/hub assembly, there's nothing to be gained as you double the labor to do the other side. You can apply this logic to just about any part on a car and use it to determine whether it's wise to replace parts together or in pairs.

Part came in on Monday, dealer had it installed for me on Tuesday morning. They also replaced the oil filter and topped up with Pennzoil Gold (even though I asked them to use my supplied Pennzoil Platinum).

It's human nature to be pissed off, but it happens. If the repair goes well and there are no further problems, I'd forget about it. My 88 E-150, was a buy back Ford gave me for an 87 lemon they had to take back. I had a choice of cash or order a new vehicle, I ordered the new vehicle. At delivery I started up the van drove about 10' turned it off and went into the shop loaded for bear. The PS pump was bad with 3 miles on the van, 10' of those three miles I drove. They replaced the PS pump which they pulled from a new van on the lot, they didn't have one in stock. That was the end of my issues. I'm still driving that van today, it has been the most reliable I've owned thus far. Hopefully @The Critic has the same luck I did.

Part came in on Monday, dealer had it installed for me on Tuesday morning. They also replaced the oil filter and topped up with Pennzoil Gold (even though I asked them to use my supplied Pennzoil Platinum).
Of course they did 🤦‍♂️

Is the leak gone now (I'd sure as hell hope so, but have to ask). Does the replacement part look any different?

Our dealership never replaced anything in pairs. Heck I had an insurance job for a Ford Lightning that I replaced one bent rod from water. I miked the rod bearing for insurance so only thing they paid for was one head gasket, one rod, intake gasket with oil pan gasket. Customer paid for oil change. I had to remove engine and take lots of pictures but engine ran good as new when I was finished. Same with a Chevrolet that knocked as Chevrolet only paid for defective parts then flushed it. Toyota was no different as they only wanted to pay to degrease the sludged up motor not replace seals unless leaking. Did one that I tried to sale complete rebuild but was shot down until I finished and it smoked but they only paid for rings and stem seals.

Just because one fails doesn't mean the other will.

I agree with this comment. Anyone who posts this and has a Rodney Dangerfield avatar is my hero.
X2. I had to put a hub bearing on the wifes tahoe @116k. Only did one side. Sold it a few months ago with 182 k on it and still running the other original hub.

I would be happy with the service The Critic is receiving, and also see no need to replace the other side hub. I can relate to the mixed feelings of product versus dealer experience.

It has been almost 20 years since I bought the Dakota new, but I remember the excellent service the dealer gave me. They would replace any (one) part on a single complaint. But that was a long time ago, and that dealer is long gone - they got caught with a high inventory in 2008.

Interesting I’ve always been taught to replace them in pairs. They use to tell us think of it like a set of brake pads you don’t just replace one when their is a pair of them or like an axle. Or like a brake caliper always replace in pairs is what I was trained at school and on the work training.
That was probably because it meant you could then bill the customer for work they did not need!

I guess all dealers are not the same. Saturday morning my battery died (I tested it, would not hold a load) on my 2019 Jeep Cherokee, I called the local dealer, Carl Burger Jeep in La Mesa CA and got a recording to leave a message for the service scheduler and they would return the call, so I did. I assume they are open at least part of the day Saturday, but as of now it is 1130 Monday morning and no call back. Anyway, after an hour of no call back I just bought a new battery figuring it wasn't worth the hassle, since they don't have a great reputation anyways. By 1230 the new battery was installed and all is well...except I am out $175 on something that should have been replaced under warrantee.

$175 for a battery?!

That was probably because it meant you could then bill the customer for work they did not need!
HaHa … Judgement call … if I lost one at 175k and was taking off discs or something else - sure.
But this early failure … ? One and done …

HaHa … Judgement call … if I lost one at 175k and was taking off discs or something else - sure.
But this early failure … ? One and done …
If you already are taking it apart for a brake job or something...yeah, sure. Just because the other one was bad? No way.

I don’t think so but I don’t know apparently according to some other posters on here that’s not how they do things at their dealership lol. But if it was wrong then glad I don’t work there anymore. The training even says to do them in pairs so I have always done it that way and that’s what I learned in auto school.

Back