Ram 6.4 oil sampling problem.

I have an oil sampling hand pump to sample through the dipstick tube, but I cannot get the plastic tube to reach the oil for some reason. Anyone else had this problem? Anyone made it work? I want to do a sample before a big towing trip without changing the oil.
Thanks.

I had the same problem on my Duramax, the 1/4" tube would get stuck just before it got to the oil. 3/16" tubing works perfectly and the pump can accept several different sizes of tubing.

Last edited:
I had the same problem on my Duramax, the 1/4" tube would get stuck just before it got to the oil. 3/16" tubing works perfectly and the pump can accept several different sizes of tubing.
That’s a good idea, I’ll try that.
Thanks.

It does not.
Then its getting hung up and you need a smaller one.
If you do end up using a smaller diameter hose make sure there are no joins to come apart in the dipstick tube etc.
ie the extension has to be longer than the length you need to insert it into vehicle.

Well I finally figured it out. I bought the smallest rubber tubing I could get from Napa. I was able to fit inside a small piece of the 1/4” plastic tubing I had as an adapter for the pump. I had to cut the rubber tube at an angle to get it all the way down to the oil. It took forever to pump it, but it worked.
Now it’s off to Blackstone.

Well I finally figured it out. I bought the smallest rubber tubing I could get from Napa. I was able to fit inside a small piece of the 1/4” plastic tubing I had as an adapter for the pump. I had to cut the rubber tube at an angle to get it all the way down to the oil. It took forever to pump it, but it worked.
Now it’s off to Blackstone.
If you are interested in fuel, I wouldn't use Blackstone, I'd use OAI/Polaris.

If you are interested in fuel, I wouldn't use Blackstone, I'd use OAI/Polaris.
I’m more interested in viscosity and wear metals.
The engine only has 12000 miles on it. I’ve changed the oil at 6000 and 10000 miles, and both of the tests I’ve done stated low viscosity, which weirds me out a little.

I’m more interested in viscosity and wear metals.
The engine only has 12000 miles on it. I’ve changed the oil at 6000 and 10000 miles, and both of the tests I’ve done stated low viscosity, which weirds me out a little.
That's why you should be interested in fuel, as it's typically the main driver in viscosity loss and Blackstone doesn't test properly for it.

Back