RAM 1500 IS THE 2019 MOTORTREND TRUCK OF THE YEAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by JTK
Max payload per the sticker on my 2017 Ram 1500 quad cab is 1683 lbs, with a max seating of 6 passengers. If you have 4 bigger dudes in it, there's ~1000lbs right there. Not a whole lot left for cargo.

I'm not knocking the Ram or pickups in general. I love mine. It's just odd that it seems the more they grow in popularity, the less "truck" they become.

If 4 dudes are a thousand pounds all of you need weight watchers.

I have known many guys who weighed that much and really were not overweight.... They were just naturally big guys who were built big and strong..A father and son named Reggie were both like that.. 6'5" and 250-265... Heck Reggie Jr was just about that size has a freshman in high school
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by JTK
Max payload per the sticker on my 2017 Ram 1500 quad cab is 1683 lbs, with a max seating of 6 passengers. If you have 4 bigger dudes in it, there's ~1000lbs right there. Not a whole lot left for cargo.

I'm not knocking the Ram or pickups in general. I love mine. It's just odd that it seems the more they grow in popularity, the less "truck" they become.

If 4 dudes are a thousand pounds all of you need weight watchers.

I have known many guys who weighed that much and really were not overweight.... They were just naturally big guys who were built big and strong..A father and son named Reggie were both like that.. 6'5" and 250-265... Heck Reggie Jr was just about that size has a freshman in high school
crazy2.gif

Even at 6"5" 250 is overweight we are just used to it as we stuff our faces more each year. In your Father's generation 250lbs would be rare. Today we are likely going to see men that weight in the supermarket. If he was 6"5" 235 people would say he is thin.

dave1251, I hear you on the 250lb thing lol. The point I was trying to make was the relatively low payload capacity these trucks have in relation to the number of passengers they can carry. It can make that 4' x 6' open bed not so useful.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by itguy08
Originally Posted by CKN

Remember-payload is figured with the driver and no passengers. You really don't want to be that close to payload max. Any one considering a scenario like yours above should consider a bigger truck. Based on average payload-a 5,500 pound travel trailer is the "sweet spot" for half tons. And there are PLENTY of nice ULTRA LIGHTS out there that fit those specs.

With all due respect-even on the truck forums that I frequent-even if a guy pulls a thousand pounds over what his truck is rated he says "it pulls fine".

Payload is figured with the truck with a full tank of gas and nothing else. It doesn't include a driver or anything else Ford Towing Guide Pg 39.

No offense taken but I hear that "you need a bigger truck" all the time on the RV and truck forums. It may be different out West but for us it works well in the East. If we listened to some on those forums, we'd pull with nothing less than an F350 Dually with a Diesel. The way I figure it these large companies publish the specs and as long as you stay within them you will be safe. With this litigious society we live in there's no way they would sanction something unsafe.

We did equip with one of the better hitches (Equalizer) and in most situations it does tow well. Only thing it does we don't like is porpoise on some roads but from what I gather that's inherent in most travel trailer setups. It tows well and my wife can even drive it. I have no hesitation doing 300+ miles a day and do at least once a year. We've had panic stops and a few mistakes along the way and it's handed it all well and feels safe.

Well yea- we have like VERY HIGH mountain passes in the west. (Parley's summit 7,120 feet-3 sisters-8,000 feet.)
Yep-you wouldn't have enough truck in the west-or too much trailer depending on how you look at it. I tow all over the Rockies with a half-ton. But my 30 Foot Ultra Light is 5,500 pounds ready to camp.
There isn't anything like I-80-except maybe I 70. To go to Colorado or Wyoming-you have to deal with one or the other-really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAXX80hbUpc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back