Raising 87 octane to 91?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice link...thanks for all the input guys. Clearly it would not be practical to boost 87 octane to 91, so nothing that requires 91 would suffice as a work truck.

Ecoboost wouldn't work for lack of a manual transmission, which is the only 100% mandatory requirement for me. I really like the new '13 Ram with air suspension, but standard slushbox kills it. Even wrote to a couple of the companies that do Hemi/6spd conversions in Jeeps to see if they could do a 6spd swap into a new Hemi truck, but both declined.

No matter how much I've tried to enjoy an automatic, standard transmissions keep me awake & entertained with all the time spent behind the wheel. Perhaps a 3/4 ton Cummins 6spd with full Kelderman air ride someday, when funds are more plentiful.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
Toulene is what they used to boost octane years ago. I used to see it in paint stores, but times are changing, especially in Calif. Looks like their still using it http://www.epa.gov/ttnatw01/hlthef/toluene.html

Aren't Toluene and Xylene also used as ingredients in meth labs/bathtub speed??

Maybe that's why they are REALLY hard to find, and overly regulated nowadays?

I have not seen Toluene on a shelf in at least 5 years.

Originally Posted By: opposite_locker
Been searching for a while, but haven't found a definitive answer. Is there any practical way to raise 87 octane gas with OTC additives to 91 octane?

I work on a ranch, and have 87 octane gas available to me for my work truck. Been thinking of getting a new, more fun work truck before long (used '06 Ram SRT10 or more likely a new Tacoma XRunner with TRD roots blower), both of which would require premium gas. I drive ALOT for work, and it would not be practical to have to pay for my own gas (~$1k/mo). But I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for octane boost (equivalent of price difference between regular and premium - about 20-25 cents per gallon). Are there any such products available?

opposite_locker,

If you want to get that Ram "SRT" truck you'd better have deep pockets! A few of my buddies have the standard V-8 models and the MPG is killing there wallets!. Instead of adding an additive booster why don't you just get premium???
Good luck on your final decision.

Durango

I also have a v8 Dodge...a 2008 1500 4x4 4.7 6spd, which is rated at 12 city & 16 hwy...I average about 13mpg in this thing. The Ram SRT is rated at 9 city & 15 hwy, so imagine it wouldn't do much worse. But since there is no way practical way to bump 87 to 91, it's no longer an option.

40k+ miles per year / 13mpg = 3,076 gallons/year x $4/gallon = $12,300 in gasoline per year, or a touch over $1k per month in gas. In 4.5 yrs, my truck has covered 190k miles and has burned through over $45k in gasoline.

How's that for a crazy gas bill?
smile.gif

I've done all the math, and, unless you can get something for free or at a massive discount, "boosting" gasoline just isn't cost effective (or really safe for your vehicle). Just buy premium.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Aren't Toluene and Xylene also used as ingredients in meth labs/bathtub speed??

Exactly. If you make speed you probably have toluene or xylene laying around that you stole from a hardware store. Actually buying it it costs too much.

Plus you get weird stares or the store refuses to sell it to you if you're buying it all the time and never buying paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back