RainX Additive

Now, let me say that I typically use RainClear by Glass Science on my vehicles but I did experiment with the RainX washer fluid additive on the wife's Explorer which has never had anything else applied. The instructions say to mix 4oz per gallon of washer fluid, and I added it to a new jug of Splash Ultimate all-season washer fluid. This resulted in a huge oily, streaky mess that took a lot of cleaning and a LOT of buffing with a full sized cotton terry bath towel to remedy. Has anybody used this fluid additive with success? I still have an entire bottle of it on the shelf and if its as simple as mixing it leaner then perhaps I would use it again. I just don't want to go through that headache again.

My guess is the Ethylene Glycol in the Splash (as per the SDS) didn't play well with components in the Rain-X. If you had used normal run of the mill windshield washer fluid it might have worked fine.
wink.gif

Regular washer fluid only has Methanol in it usually and some sort of blue dye.

Link to SDS for Rain-X

Last edited:
I found that with Rain X too. Used to use the rainx fluid for quite some time but windshield kept getting smeary and greasy, regardless of wiper changes. I dont use rain x anymore.

Same problem ... but do like Rain X glass cleaner for side windows ... works as described ...

I have tried several different washer fluids beyond the regular blue and I haven't liked most of them. So, I just stay with regular blue -20 degs F. I do like Rain-X Glass Treatment on the front windshield.

Also, VWs for example have shown that adding the RainX to the washer tank causes problems with the pump motor. Apparently, the RainX causes softening of the plastics in the motor and wiring resulting in having to replace the pump/motor.

I've used the Rain-X orange washer fluid for several years now, as have multiple family members, it's been fine in everything we've used it in. Never used the additive.

RainX has 47 different products. I use their regular windshield treatment and their premixed windshield washer fluid. The windshield fluid is discounted for a week or two each fall at Canadian Tire. No problems with those two products.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I've used the Rain-X orange washer fluid for several years now, as have multiple family members, it's been fine in everything we've used it in. Never used the additive.

I had some issues with this particular product(the orange stuff). Yeah, it gave me some Rain-X water shedding ability however, each vehicle that I used it in, the Orange stuff left a quick haze on the windshield between wiper cycles.

If I kept the wipers in the full ON position, the haze remained.

If I had the wipers in the intermittent cycle, the haze would disappear between wipes and then return at each wipe of the blades. It looked like how one would breathe (Haaaaaah) on the glass. And then disappear again!
Other brands did this as well such as the SPLASH(linked above) and the PEAK Purple.

But, other brands that I also liked besides the regular BLUE(-20*) was the Prestone(or other brand) of YELLOW -27* to -34*. These seemed to work fine too without the haze effect between wipes.

Last edited:
I moved away from the Rain-X branded washer fluid. It left semi-permanent stains on my black paint around the nozzles. The guys at the automatic car wash couldn't get them off. They even asked what was causing the stains because they see it all the time.

Ended up using vinegar to remove the stains and I migrated over to Prestone washer fluids.

I like the Rain-X Bug Remover washer fluid available down South. It refreshes the Rain-X coating nicely.

The other products are, as mentioned above, hit or miss depending on your situation.

Mixing the additive with some other washer fluid is asking for trouble.

I use Rain-X on all my vehicles. Not the orange washer fluid, tho. That is crap. Regular washer fluid with the additive works great. People are always amazed at how little I have to use my wipers.

I have a Rain X question, please help. I have a gallon of Rain X all season 2 in 1 -20F. I also
have Wal mart purple de-icer -25F. Can they be mixed with the regular blue stuff that is rated
to O ? First post in 2 years I missed you guys. No, I was NOT in Jail!! Where is the New Topic
Click on? Thank you

They can all be mixed safely, particularly in an Arizona climate. For a new thread, you click the new thread button on the top left when you're in one of the subforums, not right within an already existing thread.

No experience with the washer fluid additive. Can't use it (and wouldn't want too) in the VW anyway. Regular washer fluid for us. I do use Rain-X on our glass with good success. We hardly ever use the washer fluid anyway as I wash our cars.

Back