Radiator hose weep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced the radiator and T stat on my Liberty this past week (used Mopar for the radiator and Tstat). Previously, I had used screw clamps on the lower hose and then bought a new Gates hose and bought new OEM clamps (I think they're the right PN) and I'm getting a slight weep where the hose slides on the tstat housing outlet. According to the shop, the tstat housing outlet looked fine. I had at first had them reuse the old hose and it leaked, as it was slightly deformed. Thought the new hose would fix it. Any ideas? I have these ideas:
1. Order Mopar hose and possibly different clamps if mine are wrong
2. Wrap some self adhering rubber tape around the hose to beef it up a bit and hope that it beefs it up to give the clamp better "grip".

I really don't want to use a screw type clamp as it was previously annoying to have to retighten them when the temps would drop, plus the risk of overtightening.

Throw some RTV in there and one of those hose clamps with the little springs to maintain tension.

Like I said in that thread, I like the factory style clamps, but sometimes they don't work for various reasons, and I think one of them is aftermarket hoses like gates aren't quite as think as OEM ones - hence they seep a little.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...gear_hos#UNREAD

That looks really interesting. I'm going to some research on that! Thanks.

It's coming from the hose, not the t stat housing seal, but that is new as well.

hey that's my post! Yeah they do work very well where OEM might not. It's odd, things work fine from the factory but when you try to service it later on, things do seem to change.

The brand I got was masterpro from Oreilly auto parts, I think it's their house brand. Been very happy with the quality.

Now is it leaking from the edge of the hose or the surface (top) of the hose? If it's leaking from the edge, sounds like it's not clamped down enough.. if it's coming through the surface (top) of the hose, then it's porous and defective hose! I know, common sense, lol.

I hate spring clamps. I know lots of folks like them. But as an employee at a radiator shop they suck! I bet that the gates hose has a smaller diameter. Put a screw clamp on there. Check it again next week

Originally Posted By: researcher

It's coming from the hose, not the t stat housing seal, but that is new as well.

hey that's my post! Yeah they do work very well where OEM might not. It's odd, things work fine from the factory but when you try to service it later on, things do seem to change.

The brand I got was masterpro from Oreilly auto parts, I think it's their house brand. Been very happy with the quality.

Now is it leaking from the edge of the hose or the surface (top) of the hose? If it's leaking from the edge, sounds like it's not clamped down enough.. if it's coming through the surface (top) of the hose, then it's porous and defective hose! I know, common sense, lol.

Have you had to retighten it at all? It's coming from the bottom of the hose. Would it be dumb to throw the new clamp on in addition to the other clamp?

The Gates hose is probably of a slightly different diameter.

Try replacing the clamp with a Gates Thermoclamp. It has fixed all of our seeping Rad Hose issues.

I goop hoses with Permatex aviation forma-gasket. I do it more for ease of removal. Stuff is non-hardening unlike RTV. It also fills in the pits in AL nipples.

Something to keep in mind is....the after-market clamps can cause the inlet and outlet pipes to become out of round over time and can cause leaks because the pressure isn't equal over the circumference of the pipe.

I had asked the shop about that and they said the outlet looked fine and in round, if it's something that can be visually seen.

I bought those clamps from Napa posted above but I just realized they're too small! Have to go back after Christmas and see if they have bigger ones. Keep the ideas coming, I'm all ears.

always liked hylomar but some variant of aviation form a gasket seems easier to find. a gasket goop that fills irregularities but stays flexible.

I have on many many occasions used a light coat of Permatex Indian head shellac on thermostat housing just before clamping the new hose on and it never leaks.

Do not use RTV. Clean the thermostat housing and apply a thin layer of Permatex 2 on the housing then install the hose.

Originally Posted By: researcher

Have you had to retighten it at all? It's coming from the bottom of the hose. Would it be dumb to throw the new clamp on in addition to the other clamp?

no, I haven't had to tighten it at all. There is a spring against the bolt/screw that once you adjust it, it won't loosen, hence the name "constant tension". I snugged it down, that way it wasn't so tight it would distort the hose. You can feel the tension as you tighten the screw/bolt head on the clamp. I made it snug and it's been that way for going on 4 years. I have to replace the coolant and I'll be loosening it soon to get the hose off (I like to replace hoses every 3-4 year). My point is, no leaks.

I think that the clamp they gave you didn't take into consideration the thickness of the original hose. I bet that the Gates hose is slightly thicker than OEM and that's why it's leaking. On the toyota that I'm using the clamp, I'm using the Toyota hoses. I dont have anything against gates brand hoses, I use them on my civic. I had to use Toyota hoses since the aftermarket didn't have the protective sleeve (where the oxygen sensor wire clamps). Toyota's clamp did not open up enough to get over the water pump inlet throat. I do like the spring loaded clamps, takes the guess work out of how tight to get the clamp.

But in my situation the so-called "correct part" wasn't correct! Grabbed a constant tension clamp and was done in 5min.. no more problems. Nice part about a constant tension clamp, it has a smooth strap part of the clamp that goes onto the hose. Not like those worm clamps that leave marks in the hose. Where if you keep cranking down it'll cut into the hose. so hope that helps ya..

oh and no I wouldn't use two clamps at once. Take the spring loaded clamp off, and use the constant tension. How to determine which clamp to get. Find the diameter of your hose, then get a clamp that has that diameter roughly 1/2 of the adjustment range of the constant tension clamp. That way you're in the middle of the range.

Thanks, just ordered some from O'Reilly's. Is there a torque spec for them or just till it feels snug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back