Radar detectors-Which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Install a rotating corner reflector array, shielded so that the backward moving reflectors are visible from the front, and the forward moving reflectors are visible from the rear. Automatically adjust the rotation speed so that the reflectors are always moving 55 mph relative to the ground.

Neat idea for the Interstate -- not so hot for when you're driving through a school zone at 7:30 in the morning...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Gary was that the test that showed the original beetle was one of the best (even better if the headlights were removed) ?

Then concluded that owning a beetle prolly prevented more tickets than it's shape did.

I don't think a beetle was involved in the testing (I don't recall it anyway
21.gif
). They had something that looked like a Ford Fiesta that showed the lowest radar profile. It essentially came down to a mass/density issue. The cloth thingie had potential, but at the time it was $100^'

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Install a rotating corner reflector array, shielded so that the backward moving reflectors are visible from the front, and the forward moving reflectors are visible from the rear. Automatically adjust the rotation speed so that the reflectors are always moving 55 mph relative to the ground.

Neat idea for the Interstate -- not so hot for when you're driving through a school zone at 7:30 in the morning...
wink.gif

And it's of course in the school zone where you must speed.
wink.gif

RSP discussion is forbidden, but talking about devices that serve only to enable the user to break the law is OK. Interesting...

Breaking the law is less controversial and less likely to involve hurt feelings, name-calling, ALLCAPS and so forth.

In any case, I'd rather read others' opinions on detectors and leave debating ethics to some other thread.

Originally Posted By: John-r
Never seen one that worked, there a waste of your hard earned money.

You haven't seen or used a Valentine One. All detectors, from the cheapest to the priciest are vulnerable if you are the unlucky one who happens to drive into an isolated instant-on trap. If so, you're done. The vast majority of the time, however, the officer is shooting others with his I/O radar, and decent detectors give you plenty of warning. The V1 even tells you the direction that the radar beam is coming from. Works very, very well. Save you money if you don't feel you want or need one, but don't generalize your preferences into one-size-fits-all proclamations. My V1 works, and it has paid for itself several times over.

My V1 works, and it has paid for itself several times over.

Don't forget to mention that when you finally get busted.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I'd like to see a lock-picking forum added to BITOG.

Standard single sided pin tumbler locks for starters??

Originally Posted By: moribundman
My V1 works, and it has paid for itself several times over.

Don't forget to mention that when you finally get busted.
LOL.gif

I've been stopped 4-5 times over my 30 years of driving. A couple with a detector in place, in each instance, an instant-on radar when I was all by myself on an isolated road. I've since learned to respect that particular setting more than I used to. Now, of course, such things are really unknowable, but if you assume you'll get stopped once you're at more than ten over the limit, and you consider what I believe have been valid warnings, I'm ahead of the game, and even if I do get another ticket or two, I'll still be OK. Do understand that I always respect the conditions, and slow down to speeds that are appropriate to what's going on around me, even if that's below the posted limit.

Sure, I'll fess up if I get cited again, and I'll be happy to report how it happened too.

You can always be the feeder fish in some predatory "my catch of the day" action on a road that obviously needs no speed enforcement for "safety". It's hard to avoid that if that's what's in the deck's shuffle.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
You can always be the feeder fish in some predatory "my catch of the day" action on a road that obviously needs no speed enforcement for "safety". It's hard to avoid that if that's what's in the deck's shuffle.

That's undeniably true, but the vast majority of the time, the probability of being the one hit is very, very low, especially if you're making effective use of a detection system. After almost a decade of tactical flying in the Marines, watching for and reacting to radar warnings is second nature. I even make a conscious effort to drive in a tactically sound, safe manner. This includes deliberately positioning myself in the traffic flow so as to minimize my chances of being the "catch of the day" target. On the interstate, that means saddling in a couple hundred yards behind a left-lane cruiser who's doing around 80 mph (red Corvettes are the very best in this role). He flies out front action as "point man" while I'm behind, in the right lane, allowing him to trigger traps up front, which will give me plenty of warning. I watch carefully for a "rear arrow" warning, which would indicate a cruiser sneaking up from the rear. In the urban driving, I just make sure to put myself inside the crowd, assuming there's any clustering happening.

Laser (LIDAR) warnings are the most dangerous, and require immediate respect. This is rare, however, as unless the laser shooter is very well hidden, you often see them before they can get the beam on you. LIDAR is pretty short range, which cuts both ways.

Using these tactics, and driving in a low-key manner, knock on wood, I have received no citations (other than the aforementioned instant-on incidents) for years.

I have a V1 and have had 3 since Mike V. left Cincinnati Microwave and started his own thing. I have also used at one point or another several of the "competitor" units. Always gone back to my V1. Guess you get used to a certain one and thats what you like.

I used to get bored at times and mess with the detector crowd. Having used an RD alot, I know how folks respond. First would be to get in an area of high K-band saturation, door sensors etc. and blast away. Most figured it was falsing and kept the pedal down. Almost never wrote anyone unless they were beligerent. Another tactic would be to get near a large highway sign and reflect a signal almost 90 degrees to traffic flow. Watch for the swiveling heads and try to get out while laughing myself silly. Never really wrote them either, especially if they were honest to question about where their detector was. Lots of surprised expressions about that one. Did some LIDAR work in the twilight of my career and could really frustrate dectector drivers. First off, I would always get folks at 1000ft. or less. Even though you can reach out to 2Kft. with accuracy, tracking was better at 1K. I always did it out of car and near other distractions. Even with a safety vest, I was 100%. To get the folks using a detector/jammer, I would always test pulse as far away as possible. When you see the front end dip, you know the person likely has a dectector/jammer on board. After a couple thousand feet of no signal, Mr. speeder ramps back up and I would blast the rear tag. Watch for the brake lights and go do my traffic stop. Had more fun with it all than for pure revenue gathering. While some of my coworkers used this as their method of choice for "enforcement", I prefered the positive patrol tactic of staying visible and gaining voluntary compliance from it. Call me old fashioned, but thats how I felt police work should be done. A bit OT, but fun none the less.

Shadow driving, as you noted, is most effective. For a commonly used piece of roadway, there's always the "usual suspects" in terms of traps.

The most un-odds wagering system to combat is VASCAR. I recall being in the midst of literally thousands of cars traveling 65-70mph during the 55 mph speed limit days on the MD turnpike ..coming upon two downsized Fury cruisers facing opposite directions ..and having them just pluck some poor person out of the herd do tag ...forcing their way up the berm to merge ..hit their calc buttons when the reached their target of choice ...viola~. Not much to do about that in a defensive manner ..

..but that's another story.

Last edited:
I have both the V1 and Passport 8500 X50 "blue" and I much prefer the 8500. V1's arrows and sesitivity are very cool, but that's about it. There is no auto-mute on the V1 which makes it a deal breaker for me. The passport tweaks are very intuitive and easy to change on the fly. The V1 does allow tweaking, but restricts you in favor of sensitivity. The menu unit is almost impossible to program without the "cheat sheet" infront of you.

I have my 8500 siting on my dash with one of those no slide rubber pad. The V1's textured coating will not hold unless you use the supplied visor or windshield mount. The V1 is big too...the list goes on. I got to get around to selling the V1 on CList or ebay.

Originally Posted By: Razl
I have both the V1 and Passport 8500 X50 "blue" and I much prefer the 8500. V1's arrows and sesitivity are very cool, but that's about it. There is no auto-mute on the V1 which makes it a deal breaker for me. The passport tweaks are very intuitive and easy to change on the fly. The V1 does allow tweaking, but restricts you in favor of sensitivity. The menu unit is almost impossible to program without the "cheat sheet" infront of you.

I have my 8500 siting on my dash with one of those no slide rubber pad. The V1's textured coating will not hold unless you use the supplied visor or windshield mount. The V1 is big too...the list goes on. I got to get around to selling the V1 on CList or ebay.

To my taste, the directional arrows and big, obvious "bogey counter" outweigh the lack of automute. I used an 8500 X50R myself before the V1, and was getting very tired of what I perceived as excessive false laser alerts from the 8500. I ended up deactivating the laser band on the 8500, and just made do without. No false alerts from the V1, but I found one odd thing: the V1 reads my multifunction display as laser. That's a "no harm" problem, as my mounting position (windshield) does not give the unit a view of the MFD. See what I mean:
MFD-V1-LASER-UPLOAD.jpg

No false alerts from the V1, but I found one odd thing: the V1 reads my multifunction display as laser. That's a "no harm" problem,..........

The ones that ARE hard to discern as "no problem" are those danged infra-red cruise control sensors on some of the newer Infinitys. Scares the do-do outta me when I'm, uh, "going with the flow of traffic"
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back