Race gas for my ope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 on using ethanol gas. I use 1 can of Seafoam and marine stabil in my 2 stroke boat engine tank (mercury 90 with 25 gal tank) and never have a problem with bad gas 6 months, 10 months is as far as i stretched it with no problems. If you are running a oil, you probably dont need the stabil just the seafoam in a maintenance dose (1oz/gal)

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
+1 on using ethanol gas. I use 1 can of Seafoam and marine stabil in my 2 stroke boat engine tank (mercury 90 with 25 gal tank) and never have a problem with bad gas 6 months, 10 months is as far as i stretched it with no problems. If you are running a oil, you probably dont need the stabil just the seafoam in a maintenance dose (1oz/gal)

You may not realize it, but if you are adding seafoam, you are adding alcohol to your fuel. Seafoam is nothing but alcohol, naptha and pale oil, its expensive for what it is. I can't see treating fuel for alcohol, with more alcohol.

If your rural maybe your buying old gas to begin with. Try buying from a busy gas station or if your out in the Big City get some then.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Since I can't get ethanol free gas from a pump anywhere near me would race gas work OK? The tru fuel is $8 /qt. I can buy the VP racing gas for about $15/ gallon and throw in my own oil.

Buy a gallon and try it out. The gallon steel cans are a good storage method as well. The gas should last for years. If you're going to be burning more than a gallon or two I'd just try to keep fresh corn gas on hand.

Originally Posted by Warstud
If your rural maybe your buying old gas to begin with. Try buying from a busy gas station or if your out in the Big City get some then.

No. Our stations are packed every day and they get a new fuel delivery once a day.

Are you having starting/running issues?
Have you checked https://www.pure-gas.org/ for a gas station near you

Yes I'm constantly fighting carb problems. Yes I checked with that site and nothing even remotely close to me.

I have to ask, how old is the equipment. I have experienced fuel lines that look good but were disintegrating internally. Stuff kept getting into the jets. Once i figured that out and replaced the lines no problems. I also run 1oz tcw-3 to 5 gallons for the last run of the season for storage.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Are you having starting/running issues?
Have you checked https://www.pure-gas.org/ for a gas station near you

Yes I'm constantly fighting carb problems. Yes I checked with that site and nothing even remotely close to me.

I have to ask, how old is the equipment. I have experienced fuel lines that look good but were disintegrating internally. Stuff kept getting into the jets. Once i figured that out and replaced the lines no problems. I also run 1oz tcw-3 to 5 gallons for the last run of the season for storage.

I have to replace lines and rebuild the carb every year.

I buy AV gas from a small airport with no tower. I talked to the fuel supplier and they were happy to tell me it was fine to buy AV gas. The actual crew is a PITA during the day, so I buy it at 9pm when no one is their. $4.89/gal about 2 weeks ago. I'm about 5 hours north of you.

I'll run all my equipment dry with every use before paying $15/gallon for race fuel.

What octane is it? Might create other issues...

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
I'll run all my equipment dry with every use before paying $15/gallon for race fuel.

What octane is it? Might create other issues...

I have tried running them dry and leaving gas in them. Both fail.

I can't imagine paying that much for gas. I buy E10 at 2.50 - 2.90 a gallon and use stabil marine. I've never had a problem even leaving it for 6+ months.

I've been using 100ll for the last 6 years with no carb problems in all my ope. I would try another airport. The closest one to me won't sell to me be one a couple miles futher in th eother direction will.

I have a station near me, relatively speaking, that caters to the classic/performance car crowd selling only non-ethanol fuel in all three grades. As of today they are selling 87 octane regular for $3.69/gal. I no longer mix my own 2-cycle gas because I use 1/2 gallon per year at best. As for the 4-cycle machines, I probably use less than 40 gallons per year. Thirty of those gallons go into the riding mower with rapid fuel turnover. Does it make any sense to fill the remaining equipment with Ethanol free fuel, given that each machine might only use 1-2 gallons per year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back