R18 - Honda Civic Block Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I understand 2006-2008(some 2009, maybe?) had issues with block cracking, leaking coolant and needing a replacement.

I am looking at a well maintained 2008 Honda Civic with ~225K miles.

Looking at the VIN, it can be one of the affected vehicle and no recall work has been done and recall was expired in 2018.

Should I pass on it or take a chance? Anyone has any insights into R18 engines specifically?
thumbsup2.gif

I know a lot of people that had 2006-2011 Civics and I never heard of any issues. I always thought they were solid engines.

I know of 3 people with 2006-2008 Civics.

2 of them had the issue. One was a 2006 that cracked at 205k miles, and was covered right before the warranty expired, the other was a 2008 with a late 2007 build date that cracked at 127k miles. When they both cracked it was right on the passenger front side of the engine and easy to see.

Honestly, I'd just go for a 2009-2011 build date to be safe, not worth the headache if they deny you. Both cars went through coolant very quickly when the blocks cracked, and the 2007 overheated pretty bad.

The original warranty extension was ten years unlimited miles. If it's been driven for eleven years since 2008 without any issues, I think the possibility of it cracking now is slim.

What I'd make sure is that a crack hasn't already happened that just hasn't been detected, probably difficult to avoid detection since there were reports of fantastic failures and melted dipsticks.

The price would also factor into it given its an eleven year car with high mileage. I'd be concerned about the state of the rest of the car now, rather than the state of a potential block crack that hasn't happened yet. If its cheap and there aren't issues and your only hinging factor is whether the block may crack, I'd just buy it. Especially if it's a beater for me where all I have to do is maintenance and it gives me a trouble free ride.

By the way the 2009s also suffered from the issue but were for a limited VIN range. VINs beginning with 1HG, 19X, and 2HG specifically.

My family has three cars with the R18, I have a 2009 and 2015 and a family member has 2011. All three cars have been a dream and have given us no issues or defects but I am on top of scheduled maintenance for these cars.

I second everyone above who writes that either this thing got a new short block at some point or it isn't going to have any problems.
Anyway, a sensible price on a ten year old Civic with 225K of use can't be much more than the cash you typically carry in your wallet.
Maybe a little more.
What are they asking and what are you willing to pay for this car?

Any running car that can pass inspection is worth $1500. If the seller is even somewhat negotiable on price, even better. I've seen older Civics with more miles command more money.

2008 isn't an old car at all, either
smile.gif

If the block was going to crack, it would've already cracked or had another engine installed already. Those problems happen LONG before 225k. Also, 225k in 10 years probably means mostly highway miles and easier driving. Take a look at the rest of the car and go from there.

The Civic has the MM, so it's easy to tell when service is needed. I'm not really a fan of the plastic orange dipstick Honda put in that car since it can be difficult to read especially with fresh oil.

Offer a grand and we go to my bank right now and I hand you the cash and you get the title notarized as transferor.
Probably worth that.

Depends on the condition, but in average condition - + it should be worth it. Here's a mint condition 93 Civic on here with over half a million miles on it.

p2.png

untitled.png

p1.png

p4.png

Previous generations of Civic were BUILT like TANKS.

Unfortunately, I had to pass, because car needed some work. For a grand, would have been a smoking deal though
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back