R12 to R134a O-rings size problem

I am trying to replace all the O-rings on my 91’ Toyota to green 134a O-rings. I did buy a generic kit on Amazon, but I am not sure if that was a good idea. Anyone have experience swapping old and new o-rings?

the O-rings of 134 are a little thicker than the 30 year old r12 rings. The problem is, I can’t seat the expansion valve with the new o-rings by hand. The old ones I can seat it by hand. Is this normal? Are the O-rings supposed to be smashed in?

if not, where can get I get thinner r134a O-rings?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 32
That's not the correct o-ring as you've already determined. Sometimes the assortment packs do not contain a weird or unusual size and you have to get them separately or elsewhere.

Did you buy the "import" assortment? The one I usually buy for my Asian cars is Four Seasons 26744.

I used the green ones on my parents' 92 Previa when I replaced the expansion valve many years ago. It still works.

IIRC the o-ring color, tells you the material and intended use. i used to carry hundreds at Advance, they were a pain to inventory.

I

I'M here! Toyota often used weird o-ring sizes. He needs to go to AutoZone or wherever and buy the orings kit that is specific to that car.
You think they will have O rings for something that old? I suppose they would be compatible with older toyota models.

The last time I bought green o-rings, I first brought all the old rings to the store for matchup. I went to a full-service auto supply house where I could get professional service and not a chain.

IIRC the o-ring color, tells you the material and intended use. i used to carry hundreds at Advance, they were a pain to inventory.
You can get any material in any color you want inc HNBR which is compatible with R12, R134 and R-1234yf among others. Black and purple are also common colors found in auto A/C systems. Viton and NBR should be avoided in these systems.

The last time I bought green o-rings, I first brought all the old rings to the store for matchup. I went to a full-service auto supply house where I could get professional service and not a chain.
What is a full-service auto supply house? What about getting a lot from Rock Auto? They have resealing kits, for Toyota Previa.

Back