Quincy QT-5 1 year review and service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Performed the first 50ish? hour service on the Quincy today. 1.7 qts Quin-Cip iso-100 sae 30. Ran another 0- 175 pump up test to see how much it improved during the past year of break in. 80 gallon tank and 60 gallon storage. 14 min 18 seconds is an improvement of right at 2 minutes over the test that was ran the day of installation. The storage tank is my old craftsman compressor tank. When I bought this new Quincy I tried getting $350 out of the old one. With no takers I decided to cut the motor plate off of it and repurpose it into a storage tank. Although I am guessing that Quincy is probably not the compressor they once were I would still give it a 5 star thumbs up. Good compressors are like good welders.... buy a good one early in your life and your daughter In law will sell it at your sons auction or pass it down to the grand kids. ...
[Linked Image]

Nothing is quite as good as it used to be when it comes to equipment, But the bigger Quincy's are still a good compressor.

Does that one have a single belt? Looks like a 5hp Baldor motor? It should technically have 2 belts. I've seen the Aluminum "set-screw" motor pulley whaller out on the shaft which didn't happen to the 2-piece Cone Steel Sieve style pulleys.

I would say something about the lack of aftercooling on the final stage.....But looks like you took care of that with a homemade condensing unit
grin2.gif

Thanks for sharing P10!!

Had to go look. It still has the double row pulley on the pump but it only uses 1 B width belt and cast iron set screw pulley on the Baldor. Quincy as with other US manufactures have had to save dimes everywhere they can to compete with other US companies that are importing. A good upgrade to this may be a second belt and a 2 row 2 piece motor pulley.

Tom we use both the 10 and 15 horse Quincy rotary screws at work on our transformer vacuum processing trailers. No problems at all!. We also use the Quincy heatless desiccant driers. -70 c dry air guaranteed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by P10crew
Had to go look. It still has the double row pulley on the pump but it only uses 1 B width belt and cast iron set screw pulley on the Baldor. Quincy as with other US manufactures have had to save dimes everywhere they can to compete with other US companies that are importing. A good upgrade to this may be a second belt and a 2 row 2 piece motor pulley.

I think it would be a worthwhile upgrade as you don't have to run as much tension, But....Might as well run the current set-up 'til it needs a belt.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Lucky you! I bought a smaller quincy compressor that's garbage. i would have been better off buying one from Harbor Freight.

Which small model was it?

I have that same Quincy compressor in my garage at home. Been working steady for 14 years now. I bought a bunch of extra air filters and oil for it when new to extend the warranty. I haven't done much body work/dusty work since the last change so I will let it slide for another season or two. I think they are the best money can buy for a hobbyist such as myself. I only wish I stepped up to the 7.5HP when I bought this one. Can never have enough air.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I think they are the best money can buy for a hobbyist such as myself.

I would argue the QT's make a good 50-60% duty cycle industrial/commercial air compressor when upgraded properly.

Originally Posted by tom slick
I'm looking at installing a QT-15 at work but might step up to a rotary screw. Thank you for the review.

We run Quincy 50HP screw unit at the shop love it only wish we went with a 100HP we run it out of air. Along with the 50 we run a 25HP Sullair screw unit and would also look at one they make a good little unit also.. Above unit is great build for home small shop use I like it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave123
I'm looking at installing a QT-15 at work but might step up to a rotary screw. Thank you for the review.

We run Quincy 50HP screw unit at the shop love it only wish we went with a 100HP we run it out of air. Along with the 50 we run a 25HP Sullair screw unit and would also look at one they make a good little unit also.. Above unit is great build for home small shop use I like it.

Quincy and Sullair are the two I'm looking at. They have service techs in my area. The other brands send techs from much further away.

Quincy and Sullair are the two I'm looking at. They have service techs in my area. The other brands send techs from much further away.

If you need 80-100% duty cycle.....Screw is the only way to go, Surprised you were shopping reciprocating compressors if that's the case??

If a Recip compressor fits your needs.....Have you looked into Saylor-Beall?

I realize manufactures claim 100% duty cycle on a Recip. It's false advertising at best. Constant run is different as the pump is unloaded via the unloader in the pressure switch when vessel pressure is reached. Sure...You may get away with it in 50° ambients, What about 100° for 90 days straight?

Alternating twin pump recip compressors are made just for this & are just as expensive as their equivalent Screw counterparts.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

If you need 80-100% duty cycle.....Screw is the only way to go, Surprised you were shopping reciprocating compressors if that's the case??

If a Recip compressor fits your needs.....Have you looked into Saylor-Beall?

Completely agree screw type run best and optimally at or near 100% duty all techs will tell you this If no need for 100% I never look at one. Our shop screws run at or near 100% 8hr days if need is for more CFM back up compressor comes online at set psi these compressors run best at full load can not be stressed enough.

Completely agree with your last post CLine! 100%.
I looked around at options for my unit and low a behold they offer a max option that takes produced air and runs it through an after cooler before the air hits the tank,..... very good plan!scared to even ask what that option would cost me. Thinking hard right now how to build one with a giant bottom manifold to let the precipitation drop out and then a line to a collection resiviour. It would be easy with sweat copper but not sure if it could handle the 175psi plus what ever it takes to overcome the tank check and the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back