Quincy air compressor break in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I still may open the air valve once a month or so and run it for 30 minutes to evaporate any moisture. Is moisture in the oil a common problem for compressors?

Yes can be a big problem depends on its intended use is this unit going to be run for continuous use or short cycle. Oils can play a part also some hold water better than others not a bash on Amsoil love most products but the compressor oil not a fan came apart in the bottles and in sump my current fill is RP although it not great below 20F

Last edited:
Well if I use an air drill it seems to run the whole time I'm using the drill for the most part, but other than that It only runs for a minute or so to go from 135 back up to 170.

Should mention I have never used Quincy reciprocating compressor oils. My use with Quincy compressors are with screw compressors units and like them very much and know the quality into all commercial units they build.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Congratulations on purchasing a fine American compressor. Keep the filter clean and changed and oil when recommended by time. I have a Quincy that has served me well since new, 12 years ago. I didn't do anything special as far as break-in, manual didn't specify it.

Yes sir. I believe in supporting our economy. I would have went with Ingersoll rand, but the pump is made in India.

On my compressors, first thing I do is remove the petcock on the bottom of the tank. Then I install a 90 in its place, add a some coils of copper tubing with a brass ball valve placed in a easy to get to spot at the base (front) of the tank. Then if desired add more copper to exit the air/condensation to the outside of the shop. Then I simply bend down crack the ball valve for a couple seconds once in a while (infrequent use these days). The copper coils allow water to drain into them so it's never sitting on the bottom of the tank causing rust. How many coils you create and add depends on how much moisture compressors create in your location, and how much water you need to drain out of your tank into your coils in between drains.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted by sloinker
Congratulations on purchasing a fine American compressor. Keep the filter clean and changed and oil when recommended by time. I have a Quincy that has served me well since new, 12 years ago. I didn't do anything special as far as break-in, manual didn't specify it.

Yes sir. I believe in supporting our economy. I would have went with Ingersoll rand, but the pump is made in India.

No I believe you made the better choice with the Quincy in fact a far better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back