Quick Way of Flushing PS Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
After removing all PS fluid from the reservoir, will turning my steering wheel back and forth pump more fluid into the reservoir? If so, how many times will I be able to do this?

It will circulate a bit..but its not the most complete way to do it. I would just do the baster method a few times, do it once drive a month or two and change it out again. I do the baster method every oil change and I figure its good enough.

Laugh all you want, I've done it this way before and it works just fine.

10800.jpg

Turkey baster method drips ATF all over the engine, large shampoo pump is much cleaner without any drop anywhere. The problem is you need to pump about 30-40 times.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Turkey baster method drips ATF all over the engine, large shampoo pump is much cleaner without any drop anywhere. The problem is you need to pump about 30-40 times.

I thought I was the only one to do that . . . the large shampoo pump works like a champ, just stick the pump into ps and the other end into the bottle and pump away.

I used to use the turkey baster, but bought a Harbor Freight vacuum pump for the brakes and started using that to suck up the liquid. A lot less messy. I do this method on the reservoir once a year or so.

I think that turning the steering wheel should circulate the fluid a little more. I don't think you'll get it all out that way though, I would just do the reservoir drain and fill 3x a few weeks apart.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
It will circulate a bit..but its not the most complete way to do it. I would just do the baster method a few times, do it once drive a month or two and change it out again. I do the baster method every oil change and I figure its good enough.

This!!! I have need doing this, no problems, no leaks, and not expensive.

Next time you're at the DIY auto parts store, pick up one of those pumps that fit onto quart bottles of lube. They hang them on the shelf racks near the oil.

More volume per pump than a shampoo pump and not messy like the baster method.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I used to use the turkey baster, but bought a Harbor Freight vacuum pump for the brakes and started using that to suck up the liquid. A lot less messy. I do this method on the reservoir once a year or so.

I think that turning the steering wheel should circulate the fluid a little more. I don't think you'll get it all out that way though, I would just do the reservoir drain and fill 3x a few weeks apart.

I use my oil sampling pump with a larger bottle attached.

But I think the brake bleeder gun with trigger is better as you can operate it with one hand while holding the siphon tube in the other hand.

Indeed, I think the brake bleeder tool is a good option for oil sampling as well, so long as it also avoids the contamination issues that the sampling pump is designed to (which by the looks of them, they do).

I pull the return line off of the reservoir and run it into a bucket. Then cap the reservoir nipple and run the engine while pouring in fresh fluid.

It can be even easier if you have a PS cooler connected with hoses and clamps.

Originally Posted By: Mter00s
After removing all PS fluid from the reservoir, will turning my steering wheel back and forth pump more fluid into the reservoir? If so, how many times will I be able to do this?

No. In order to move old fluid out of the system, you need to have new fluid go into the system. Drain, refill, turn the wheel, drain refill, turn the wheel, etc. until the fluid looks new.

I prefer disconnecting the return pipe from the reservoir and have someone keep the reservoir level topped up as I operate the steering slowly, doesn't take long to clean them through.

obviously point the return pipe into a bucket, or do it at a wallmart car park

Last edited:
Jack the car, open the return line and put vehicle in ACC (to power the pump) and do steering locks until no fluid comes from the return line. Fill new fluid and do steering locks until fluid comes out of the return line. Stop, reconnect return line, start car and do steering locks until all air is out of the closed loop system. Lower the vehicle and done, clean flush.

I have do this numerous times resulting in a clean flush (apparently this does not work for Ford vehicles, I never owned one nor will own that junk, so I care less).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back