Question? untrue/bent rim(s), can they be fixed?

Hi, quick question, i bought 4 17" OEM Hyundai-Kia rims on marketplace, they had 225/45 tires installed already with no weights surprisingly, so i installed them on car and it was smooth as glass with old tires. I then "upgraded" the tires to the correct elantra size of 215/40 W UHP, and now i have a slight vibration above 62 to about 70, so i took it to another shop thinking the first shop did not balance them correctly, and had them re-balanced again. The 2nd shop told me they were out of balance and corrected that, its slightly better, but they also told me not one rim is "true" and they put the worst rim on back passenger side.
Is that even possible? I did not hit anything that would cause them to be "un-true." Did i buy them that way, and the old tires were hiding the vibration by being slightly bigger with more sidewall and width, with lower PSI? I think i filled old tires to 33 PSI, and now im up to around 38 with new. I like the firmer ride, and more direct steering of higher PSI, and lower profile tires. No tires leak air, and it pulls straight down the road. The steering wheel is not a vibrating mess either, but i do feel "something".. Other people would probably not even notice, but we are BITOG members, after all so that's that lol.

Live with it? Or see if i can find a shop to straighten or make "true" the rims? The local pick and pull has the same rims 65$ a rim, but i just did a full brake job, and the rims visually looked fine (to me)

I just don't want to wear out other parts of suspension because of this minimum vibration.

These are the rims in question:

Thank you for your input 🙃

EDIT: I contacted "rims like new" in 507 Union School Rd, Middletown, NY, 10941. Any one use them? They are closed until monday.

Attachments

• IMG_1784.jpeg
    IMG_1784.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1641.jpeg
    IMG_1641.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1642.jpeg
    IMG_1642.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Yes, they can be fixed, but if you can find a replacement for $65 you'll likely come out cheaper buying a good used one

Yes, they can be fixed, but if you can find a replacement for $65 you'll likely come out cheaper buying a good used one
Oh rim repair is that pricey huh? i've never had a rim repaired so I'm clueless in that dept. I was hoping they could true all 4 of the rims for $250 is my budget. But now i see that typed out, and do i really want to go that route for Hyundai-Kia rims LOL.

EDIT: I see you have a type S!, very nice! Hows the dash and the seats? manual? the one in the family has about 214K miles now, and it been rock solid reliable minus the HFL drain, thats now disconnected.

but they also told me not one rim is "true" and they put the worst rim on back passenger side.
Before you do anything this (one wheel okay but all 4 with no visible damage?) tells me there may be a common issue causing this which is especially common with light metal wheels, corrosion of the mounting surface inside the wheel. I run into this all the time.
The best way to do this is knock any rough stuff away with a drill mounted wire wheel the take a round orbital sander (if it fits inside the wheel with no bag I use a 5") with 220 grit and sit it on the surface flat and let it run til the surface is smooth.

It doesn't take long and just run it long enough to remove the junk and just clean the metal not remove it. Make sure the rotor surface is clean also and use a little never seize on the inside of the wheel, just smear a thin layer on it to prevent further corrosion.

Hi, quick question, i bought 4 17" OEM Hyundai-Kia rims on marketplace, they had 225/45 tires installed already with no weights surprisingly, so i installed them on car and it was smooth as glass with old tires. I then "upgraded" the tires to the correct elantra size of 215/40 W UHP, and now i have a slight vibration above 62 to about 70,
Just put the old tires back on. And you're not likely to find 12 year old aluminum wheels anywhere that are perfectly straight, at least not in the northeast.

Just put the old tires back on. And you're not likely to find 12 year old aluminum wheels anywhere that are perfectly straight, at least not in the northeast.
the tire shop kept the old tires, and steel rims so that's a no go. :-( I never gave that a thought about NE alloy rims, but your right, the pot holes are pretty bad up here, esp after a hard winter.

So it looks like repairing would be my best course of action, considering, that even at the pick and pull they might also be bent.

Before you do anything this (one wheel okay but all 4 with no visible damage?) tells me there may be a common issue causing this which is especially common with light metal wheels, corrosion of the mounting surface inside the wheel. I run into this all the time.
The best way to do this is knock any rough stuff away with a drill mounted wire wheel the take a round orbital sander (if it fits inside the wheel with no bag I use a 5") with 220 grit and sit it on the surface flat and let it run til the surface is smooth.

It doesn't take long and just run it long enough to remove the junk and just clean the metal not remove it. Make sure the rotor surface is clean also and use a little never seize on the inside of the wheel, just smear a thin layer on it to prevent further corrosion.
thanks for suggestions, the hub is spotless, and the rims are very clean, no rust or corrosion. A/S was applied also.

I bought/swapped a bent rim on my Volvo for a repaired one. They mail new and I mailed back old. Cannot remember the company. Have you looked on RockAuto.

I think good companies that have a full shop can make them as good as new. Not sure about the mobile shops.

OE alloys are generally cheaper castings + even new wheels can be out of spec. repairing is costly cracks can appear afterwards! when i get new wheels o have my local alignment spin them before tyre mounting to be safe!! also generally cast OE wheels are NOT light but usually lighter than steelies. lightweight wheels are often forged + are $$$$

I’ve bought reconditioned wheels to replace damage ones. I bought from these guys:

Update on this: called around and it looks like the avg is about 130$ per rim for repair. Is that reasonable? Im having a really hard time dropping $500+ on fixing 4 Hyundai rims lol but it seems i can try a used rim from the local pick n pull for $65 then a dismount & remount and balance so either way im over 100$ per rim. Maybe i'll just replace/repair the worst one on the rear right as the steering wheel is pretty smooth with no visual/feeling of vibrations, so i dont think the fronts are shot by any means and i confirmed with visual inspection..... The only vibration i feel slightly is in the seats and i can visually see a very small bend on the inside of rear right rim.

I tried ebay/rock/google but they are $175 per rim on avg, and market place for used but they are 120 miles away, and most likely are not true either since a majority that shows up are from the city lol.

What would you do? replace for $175 per rim, repair for 130$ per rim, or take a gamble on a visually "true" one at the local pick n pull for $65 a rim?

Not going back to steel wheels and hubcaps btw so that's out of the question.:D

Thanks!

Repair look like the only way to get what you want, if it comes with a guarantee. It's probably a reasonable cost but it seems like a high cost to my frugal instincts. I choose steel wheels when I replace, just doesn't seem to be as many issues and the added weight lowers the center of gravity.

Maybe I should have said 'best' way to get what you want. Probably matters not.

Last edited:
Around here it's more like $115. I used Yelp reviews to find local places. Most tire places can also refer you to someone. I don't think you need to do all the tires, they can only unbend the ones that are bent, they basically heat it up and bang on it to true it up. If you can find the Hollander part number for the rim, you can search online to see if you can find a replica for less. My OEM Mercedes rims end up bending and cracking with 40 series tires. I'd also lower the tire pressure, higher pressure means less give in the sidewall so the rim takes more of a blow. Not too high and not too low is the right pressure. Had bent rims even with 45's on 17 inch rims. Never had bent ones with 60's.

Hi, quick question, i bought 4 17" OEM Hyundai-Kia rims on marketplace, they had 225/45 tires installed already with no weights surprisingly, so i installed them on car and it was smooth as glass with old tires. I then "upgraded" the tires to the correct elantra size of 215/40 W UHP, and now i have a slight vibration above 62 to about 70, so i took it to another shop thinking the first shop did not balance them correctly, and had them re-balanced again. The 2nd shop told me they were out of balance and corrected that, its slightly better, but they also told me not one rim is "true" and they put the worst rim on back passenger side.
Is that even possible? I did not hit anything that would cause them to be "un-true." Did i buy them that way, and the old tires were hiding the vibration by being slightly bigger with more sidewall and width, with lower PSI? I think i filled old tires to 33 PSI, and now im up to around 38 with new. I like the firmer ride, and more direct steering of higher PSI, and lower profile tires. No tires leak air, and it pulls straight down the road. The steering wheel is not a vibrating mess either, but i do feel "something".. Other people would probably not even notice, but we are BITOG members, after all so that's that lol.

Live with it? Or see if i can find a shop to straighten or make "true" the rims? The local pick and pull has the same rims 65$ a rim, but i just did a full brake job, and the rims visually looked fine (to me)

I just don't want to wear out other parts of suspension because of this minimum vibration.

These are the rims in question:

Thank you for your input 🙃

EDIT: I contacted "rims like new" in 507 Union School Rd, Middletown, NY, 10941. Any one use them? They are closed until monday.

I worked 8 years as a hyundai tech, not 1 car ever had 4 true rims. It wasn't always felt but noticeable on the balancer. Live with it or buy quality aftermarket. I've had good luck with pressure cast/flow formed wheels. Regular casts are rarely true these days

Update on this I decided to “upgrade” to Mazda 6 17” rims. Bought them for $150 is far cheaper then fixing the current ones. Will post pictures once they are installed. Same 5 x 114.3 and bore as the Hyundai Kia rims. Also they are not bent because of the massive sidewall

Attachments

• 0806F85A-C94D-45C2-892C-8FF32627D7D8.jpeg
    0806F85A-C94D-45C2-892C-8FF32627D7D8.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Update again on this: I found a local shop in Newburgh NY to have these oem Hyundai rims repaired. They made them perfect! I was in and out under and hour and $350 lighter haha. One was cracked! And all 4 were bent. The car feels amazing, and rides better then new even above highway speeds to test them out. I’m extremely happy with the results and glad I choose this route then putting on the Mazda rims with spacers or taking the gamble on other rims that might also be bent.

glad you got "lucky" + hopefully your repair continues to be fine!! many rims are cast + can have issues from the getgo! tyres vary as well + sometimes varying the mounting can fix issues!

Back