Question on the bottom of bottle with Penz Platinum

I use Penzoil Platinum full synth 5w 30 religiously in my 2017 Fiesta ST.

One of my 5 quart jugs sprung a small leak at the very bottom. I was was able to catch it in time and thus not much was lost. But the thing that I now ponder, is if the additive pack is now mostly gone, due to the leak being on the bottom, where most of the "good stuff" collects.

What I mean is, I have always noticed on my fresh bottles, there's that darker looking sediment that collects at the very bottom, which I always took for the additive packs settling; that need to be mixed (bottle vigorously shaken) before use.

I would hate to have to throw out 4.5ish (what didn't leak out) quarts of perfectly good oil.... but at the same time, is it still good without the settled darker part?.... Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by babyivan

One of my 5 quart jugs sprung a small leak at the very bottom. I was was able to catch it in time and thus not much was lost. But the thing that I now ponder, is if the additive pack is now mostly gone, due to the leak being on the bottom, where most of the "good stuff" collects.

What I mean is, I have always noticed on my fresh bottles, there's that darker looking sediment that collects at the very bottom, which I always took for the additive packs settling; that need to be mixed (bottle vigorously shaken) before use.

I would hate to have to throw out 4.5ish (what didn't leak out) quarts of perfectly good oil.... but at the same time, is it still good without the settled darker part?.... Thanks in advance.

Its impossible to know or answer the question with any degree of accuracy.

Personally I would run it with no reservations at all but do what makes you feel most comfortable with the decision.

Its your vehicle and your peace (piece, LOL) of mind

I would run it...maybe shorten the OCI by a thousand miles for your own piece of mind.....

PS: I would love to pick up a used Fiesta ST.....they seem like a hoot.....Sadly Ford is not giving us the latest (1.5 3cyl. Ecoboost) model.....the British
motoring press like it...

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR

Its impossible to know or answer the question with any degree of accuracy.

Personally I would run it with no reservations at all but do what makes you feel most comfortable with the decision.

Its your vehicle and your peace (piece, LOL) of mind

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't mind so much if the car was a "beater car", but this my "baby", lol. I will probably air on the side of caution and just keep it around as a "just in case". I got another 6 jugs anyways I can use in the meantime. Perhaps after that 6th one, I might not be so cautious anymore
wink.gif

Originally Posted by pbm
I would run it...maybe shorten the OCI by a thousand miles for your own piece of mind.....

PS: I would love to pick up a used Fiesta ST.....they seem like a hoot.....Sadly Ford is not giving us the latest (1.5 3cyl. Ecoboost) model.....the British
motoring press like it...

Thanks for the reply.
The only piece of mind that I would get would be not using it for a complete fill, but rather as extra in case I need an occasional top off (which has never been the case for this car, as the level never drops between oci).

Thanks! Yeah, it's a great fun little car, even bone stock (which mine is, aside from a Cobb RMM for improved positive shifts during romping). No complaints whatsoever. Shame on the American car buying public for "not getting it".

I would run it...... no question about it.
The only question I have is that you omitted your OCI length.
Keep this OCI to 5K as a safeguard and sleep well.

Run it...

Nothing to be major league concerned about. It happens time to time as far as what you have seen at the bottom of the oil container.

Good question.

Hypothetically speaking, if your oil had 1/2 qt. of additives plus 4.5 quarts of oil & other stuff, and the 1/2 quart is gone, would you still use that oil?
I would say no. I may use it in my old cars for oil change (it gets mixed with another fresh 4 qt.) or use it for top up ...

In reality we don't know IF all the additives are gone i.e. none are floating or sticking to the bottom ... I would use that oil for top up.

If it was xW20, you could have used it for door hinges ...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

3K oci
27.gif

oh, you are 3K guy ... I have a feeling you are not going to use that oil. lol

3K oci
27.gif

That's fine. Use it for a length you feel comfortable with.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I'd use it without concern. If you are really bothered then use 1/2 oil from a new 5q and 1/2 from the leaker. Don't toss any. Ed

Excellent idea! split it into 2 oil changes. Thanks Ed

Originally Posted by dave1251
Just use it for the factory recommended OCI and sleep easy.

If this is the 1.6 turbo, no way I would run it for the recommended oil life monitor 10k / 1y. Not even if the oil jug never cracked,

I got another 6 jugs anyways I can use in the meantime.

If you have another 6 jugs, then use 1/2 of this leaked jug and 1/2 of a new unleaked jug for the next 2 oil changes. And being a BITOGer, your used oil probably has some life left anyway. That's what I would do. Make sure to keep the lid nice and tight on those opened containers.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Just use it for the factory recommended OCI and sleep easy.

If this is the 1.6 turbo, no way I would run it for the recommended oil life monitor 10k / 1y. Not even if the oil jug never cracked,

Absolutely 1000000% agree!
I know I'm a certifiable nut and can go more than 3K oci on a modern vehicle running full synth; but there's no way that I would come even close to Ford's recommended numbers with a DI turbo!

Most ST (FiST & FoST) owners do 5K oci, which makes sense. I've seen some OAs on BITOG and the forums that confirms the oil is still in good shape at 5k; but like I said I'm a nut and can't get that ole' number three out of my head.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by DGXR
I got another 6 jugs anyways I can use in the meantime.

If you have another 6 jugs, then use 1/2 of this leaked jug and 1/2 of a new unleaked jug for the next 2 oil changes. And being a BITOGer, your used oil probably has some life left anyway. That's what I would do. Make sure to keep the lid nice and tight on those opened containers.

Yeah, even though oil is cheap; I would hate to be wasteful. I will likely spread it out amongst a few changes. Thanks for the advice.
cheers3.gif

Back