Question on oil leak possible frozen pcv

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Audi A8 4.2FSI....So, back a few weeks when the temps here in the northeast were in the single digits and wind chills much lower, I suspect that my pcv or crankcase ventilator froze up based on the whistling noises coming from my engine after work when the car was parked outside. Then I popped the hood to check my fluids, haven't popped hood in over few months, noticed a nice amount of oil on the front of my engine and a little on the bottom of the belly pan. This was not like this back in sept when I changed the oil last. The oil was concentrated at the front of engine, nothing at the back and nothing at valve covers.
The car is parked in my garage every night and over the weekends. There is no oil anywhere on the floor. The pcv has since thawed since there is no whistle; it only did it for a few days. My question is, what are the chances the oil leak stopped since pcv thawed? It's been about a month since I first noticed the oil on the engine and the oil level has not dropped according to the dipstick. At the time I had no clue what the whistle was and didn't know a clogged pcv could cause oil leaks.
My next plan was to thoroughly clean engine and belly pan.

When did you notice the whistle?
How long until you opened the hood?
Any moisture under the filler cap?
How long is your commute?

I never heard of pcv actually freezing... unless there was water in it...?
Pcv valve is really cheap might as well just replace it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mike141
Then I popped the hood to check my fluids, haven't popped hood in over few months,

shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
spankme2.gif
spankme2.gif
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
When did you notice the whistle?
How long until you opened the hood?
Any moisture under the filler cap?
How long is your commute?

I never heard of pcv actually freezing... unless there was water in it...?
Pcv valve is really cheap might as well just replace it.

My commute is about 30-35 minutes each way. Didn't notice any moisture under oil cap and the pcv for this car is about $250 and it's in a spot that appears extremely tough to get out. It was probably a few days after hearing whistling noises when I opened hood and noticed the oil.

Expensive PCV valve.

I had a 2000 VW Beetle that my daughter drove for 7 years until tranny slipped like crazy. I traded it in on a Toyota Rav4 for her.

VW and Audi store here has crazy part prices and crazy people working there. I will never again own a VW/Audi product. You just reinforced my opinion with the cost and difficulty.

Thanks

Yes, that's exactly how it sounded and that's the same engine. It doesn't whistle any longer though

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Expensive PCV valve.

I had a 2000 VW Beetle that my daughter drove for 7 years until tranny slipped like crazy. I traded it in on a Toyota Rav4 for her.

VW and Audi store here has crazy part prices and crazy people working there. I will never again own a VW/Audi product. You just reinforced my opinion with the cost and difficulty.

Thanks
You got that right tonyedoc. I had one VW and that was enough for me to not ever have another. Over priced and overrated.

Not totally sure if it's still leaking or not. Just cleaned the engine really good and wiped it down. It was concentrated in the front lower part of the engine....possibly front crackshaft seal if the leak comes back I'm thinking. I will wait a few days and then check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back