Question on Job Interview Etiquette

You can do what you want. I'd probably choose #2.

You have to realize that he's an angry little man, and is probably enough of a weasel to try and cause problems for you in the future if his shortcomings are pointed out...

#1 Will just unjustifiably make him think he's right.

#3 Will just make him throw an even bigger tantrum, and likely want revenge.

You all are right-it felt good to type #3 here even if I don't send it. I'll sit on responding for a another day or so most likely, though.

Number 1

Mark that email address as "spam"

There is no "upside" in responding to him.
You have handled yourself in an honorable manner.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Number 1

This. Anything else besides ignoring them is a waste of time.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by Gebo
Number 1

This. Anything else besides ignoring them is a waste of time.
+3
You already said your goodby. The department chair is a Horse's A$$. No point in beating a dead horse. Ignore them and move on.

To kind of book-end this, as it so happens my fiancée's grandfather's barber got me in touch with someone at that school from the biology department. Incidentally, the bio department is hiring for a similar position, but I'm nowhere near qualified to even apply for it(I don't know cell culture techniques, etc, and other things that would be needed).

Before I mentioned ever having applied for a job there, I was told that Chemistry was really desperate to hire someone, and that I should think about applying. I said that I had applied, but didn't interview for it. They pressed me a bit more, with me first offering that we couldn't find a mutually agreeable time for an interview. This person said "With your qualifications, if I'd seen your application I'd have done whatever I needed to get you in." My response was that the department chair hadn't shared that outlook, and that a couple of other things had transpired to make me think the job wasn't a good match.

I then got treated to a tirade where this person I was talking to called the chair every name in the book and said that the administration had finally convinced him to retire at the end of this academic year. I was told that everyone at the school new he was a holy terror, and that in fact they hadn't been able to KEEP anyone in that position or any other staff position for more than a year or two because of the chair.

The conversation ended with an offer to put in a good word for me, and encouraging me to re-apply this summer. I didn't commit one way or another, but said I'd give it consideration if I knew that person would be out of the picture. We'll see what happens.

I'm dragging this up to post what is a positive development.

I kept my eyes open, and something did indeed materialize at another school in the area-a tenure track professor of chemistry position. I applied, and was contacted a few days later(before the application closed) asking to come in for an interview with a couple of times available.

I went in on March 2nd for an interview with the search committee that ended up being 2 1/2 hours including a tour of their facilities(not scheduled, but offered and of course I accepted). I walked out feeling GREAT about the position.

Of course, a lot has happened in the world in the time since the interview, but none the less I was also called for follow-up Skype interview a week and a half ago with one of the deans who wasn't able to be present at the original panel interview.

That was followed last Thursday with an offer, which after a bit of negotiation I accepted today.

Salary wise, it's more or less a lateral move but professionally puts me in a good spot with a lot of opportunity to grow and a lot of good non-monetary perks. Plus, I'll finally be in the same area code as my fiancé.

The new position doesn't start until August, which fortunately also gives me plenty of time to wrap up a bunch of loose ends at my current job and get moved(as a bit of a pack rat, the last one is more daunting that it should be).

I've had a great 5 years at my current employer, and I'll be(mostly) sorry to go. Evidently they will be as well, as they did put together a salary offer to try and keep me(part of what took me close to a week to accept the new position). It was a respectable offer, but not enough to outweigh some other factors that went into the decision. I feel good about the decision, and so does my fiancé, but it wasn't easy. None the less, this feels more right than any other opportunity I've pursued.

Based on your initial write up, I think you did everything correctly as well. If the recruiter said you were a perfect match, and yet they can’t wait until you can make the interview; maybe the company is a bit flaky. I recall an interview where I was hired immediately, and I was not impressed. They seem too desperate to fill the slot and didn’t care much about my background. I left the interview with the impression that this company is probably not going to be a good match, and I was all right. 🫤

Getting a university position, especially a tenure track one, versus industry is vastly different.

Were you working with the actual university, or a search group working on behalf of the university?

Back