Question on Filling In Foundation

I have mice in cellar again and I found out where they're getting it. It's a 15 x 6" opening that had a sheet metal door with a latch thing for opening and closing in winter / summer. The latch must have corroded and fell away from the sheet metal, and now I want to block that thing off completely. Right now I have thick plastic over it with a few bricks to hold it in place.

What material could I use to cover that opening and possibly cement it in there? Sheet metal?

I'd like to DIY and save $$$.

TIA

The rodent proofing company I use use wire mesh / chicken wire kind of material with cement to plug holes.

I have hardware cloth and chicken wire and was thinking of covering the metal grate with HC to at least keep mice out, and leaving it like that, but as you say I could put cement on it after I attach it to the grate.

Depends. Do you need this door? What sort of wall does this door lead through? Is the door off the ground? If you don't need the door I would just seal it up with the same material that the wall is made off.

I fixed it.
Here's a pic of it after I got done with it.
I held the sheet metal flap up and drilled holes in it, then attached roofing screws to the flap with washers that held the flap up in place.
Then I secured hardware cloth over that.
No mice will get in or out of my house, I'd bet on that.
It's game over for these mice.

PB090882.JPG

Depends. Do you need this door? What sort of wall does this door lead through? Is the door off the ground? If you don't need the door I would just seal it up with the same material that the wall is made off.
I don't think I need that door. The foundation has perforated bricks in it which vent the crawl space.
I have an electric exhaust fan in a window that I run often to supposedly remove radon.
I will still get a bit of ventilation from this door after I secured it to stop mice from entering.

Mr_Luke, good you got it fixed.
Be aware that mice can get thru the smallest of gaps.

I would put two mouse traps out (baited with peanut butter) because they will come back looking to get in.
This time of year, you could put several more all around your house.

How big are the holes in the perforated bricks? I’d think the mice could squeeze through there too if it’s what I’m picturing.

Back