Status
Not open for further replies.
Brand: Ariens
Type: 4-Cycle OHV
Power: 254 cc
Torque: 12.5 ft-lbs Net Torque
Starting System: 120-Volt Electric /w Recoil
Fuel Tank: 2.9 quarts (2.74 liters)

Looking at new snow blower. Looks like Ariens dumped the Briggs & Stratton engine and is now outsourcing their own. Any info on their engines? $1100 item so I'd like to keep it a looong time! My last one was a John Deere 828 that I ended up getting IIRC 14 years from.

Any advice much appreciated.

Last edited:
It depends what size snowblower you're looking at. You can get a Briggs engine in the professional series.

The one you're looking at is make by LCT engines. Here's a link:
LCT engine

I think where the engine maker is not named its a Chinese engine branded under their name.

OPE makers would highlight if it was a B&S or Honda, etc.

I have a 10 yr old Airens 36" which is a monster.

The supplier is LCT engines which is on flyer. It is a Chinese maker to help make these snow blowers more palatable price with the Ariens name at a store like Home Depot.

I have no idea on how well the work out but google LCT engines.

I am on year 11 of a Simplicty 24" commerical grade snowblower that looks brand new and run as such with a Snow Tech motor. I would at least price out the professional series beyond the entry level stuff.

Chinese Engine. NOT saying good or bad but should be at least 1/2 - 1/3 cost of North American manufactured.
What Import tariff is applied to small engines?
Nada?

I see it's Ironed sleeved for you iron sleeve aficionados.

Last edited:
My Tecumseh SK (8HP) "The REAL Snow King" not "King of Snow" is 15 years old and noisy and spits small and medium metal chunks out the drain pipe when I change the oil(!) but it's still running and doesnt burn oil between seasons or sparkplugs for that matter. It only cost 750 bucks back then for a IIRC 28" Yardman by MTD. I think the engine will outlast the trans and housing as I don't sand and rust-oleum the bare metal.

Was that 8hp SK Tecumseh made in the U.S. of A.?

My take on it is that I wouldn't buy it. But, I don't ever buy any new OPE. I'd rather find it in a dump or Craigslist and go through it. There are lots of parts and info out there on an older Ariens.

I have a 30 year old Ariens with the Snow King, 8hp. I've replaced the friction disc and a couple of shear pins, that's it.

For small single cyl OHV engines like these, to me it doesn't make a difference, LCT or Briggs. Same relative quality and same parts availability.

It's the rest of the machine that makes the difference IMO. I know Ariens aren't built like they used to be, but they're still a darn nice machine. Stiffer chassis, better bearings, bushings, belts, tighter clearance impeller design, etc, over what you'd find on an MTD machine that's a few hundred dollars less.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Avoid MTD. Friends don't let friends buy MTD.

Maybe current models.

My 1999 model year Yardman 7hp OHV Tecumseh, 24" has been used and abused year after year and finally started giving me grief today. Broke the recoil rope and the auger belt popped off (proabably my fault from spinning impeller backwards, installing my DIY "Clarence" kit some weeks ago).

It would be tough for me to total up run time hours, but it would be a lot for a snowblower.

Last edited:
Maybe I should be asking for advice on the best quality 2 stage snow thrower between $900-1100. I was happy with the John Deere 828 but the Tecumseth 8HP seemed a little underpower in the real heavy wet stuff. THe auger and impeller took a pounding and I like being able to change out the gear fluids.

What says the gallery?

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Donald
Avoid MTD. Friends don't let friends buy MTD.

Maybe current models.

My 1999 model year Yardman 7hp OHV Tecumseh, 24" has been used and abused year after year and finally started giving me grief today. Broke the recoil rope and the auger belt popped off (proabably my fault from spinning impeller backwards, installing my DIY "Clarence" kit some weeks ago).

It would be tough for me to total up run time hours, but it would be a lot for a snowblower.

Always at the worst time right??? And you have more snow coming!

Originally Posted By: Kory
Here is the link the 420CC Briggs engine on the Ariens is made overseas....It's in the question and answers section of the engine, a briggs employee answers the question...It changed within the past year...If it's on an Ariens or toro 2014 or later it's not made in USA.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/engines/snow-blower-engines/2100-series-pf

And you have a Honda snow thrower. So Japanese is okay, but not a Chinese sourced engine?

Originally Posted By: Kory
Here is the link the 420CC Briggs engine on the Ariens is made overseas....It's in the question and answers section of the engine, a briggs employee answers the question...It changed within the past year...If it's on an Ariens or toro 2014 or later it's not made in USA.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/engines/snow-blower-engines/2100-series-pf

Read the customer review for that engine. Only one customer but wow.

Did I say any weren't ok? I was just stating for the record that they're all made in China so I could extinguish any ignorance that someone might be duped into thinking they were buying an American made product.

I try to buy USA made anything when it's the best and available but unfortunately America didn't make a blower that met my standards when I was shopping.

PS Honda makes more 100% USA made pieces of OPE and snowblowers then Ariens and Toro combined!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back