Question for using electric starter on Predator 212

Does anyone know if it's possible to use a 110v tecumseh electric starter instead of a battery powered electric starter on a Predator 212 non-hemi? I plan on upgrading my snowblower to the Predator 212 but I do not feel like installing a battery and having to keep it charged.

Seems unlikely. The Predator is not related to a Tecumseh. It is a dimensional copy of a Honda, a so-called "Chonda."

You could use a 12 volt starter and clip to a jump box for starting instead of carrying a battery on board.

I'm pretty sure the predator 212 only has a flywheel with no ring gear intended to pull start only not even considering that the starter is probably specific to whatever engine series it came off of.
I'd try to findan actual snow blower engine over a predator engine if you can.

I don’t think you can retrofit the 212. You may be able to add it to the next size up if memory serves.

It took some finagling, but I used a predator 212cc to re-power a 24" Ariens snow blower. I live near Boston and I have pull started the engine with temps in the single numbers. If it takes more than 3 pulls to start, it is because I forgot to turn on the fuel switch. BTW the bigger engine on my 6.5KW Predator gen set starts just as well. :cool:

Agreed. I had the 212 predator and as long as the compression release was working (sometimes required persuasion with a hammer), it was easy to start, every time.

Honda has sold an electric start GX200 for many years. You can often find them for cheap on broken equipment.

Back