Question for tree experts

If the soil was ok, why did you add fertilizer and manure??? You then changed the soil PH by adding those making it even more difficult for the tree..
Adding that manure is what concerns me too. Certain herbicides can carryover in manure.

Adding that manure is what concerns me too. Certain herbicides can carryover in manure.
I never had or will add manure to a tree.

I never had or will add manure to a tree.

SS-AGR-415/AG416: Herbicide Residues in Manure, Compost, or Hay

University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences Extension outreach is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments to provide scientific knowledge and expertise to the public. The University of Florida (UF), together with Florida A&M University (FAMU)...

edis.ifas.ufl.edu
edis.ifas.ufl.edu

Dang, I learn something new every day. Below is a more scientific account of the potential herbicide carryover problem. This problem became news about 15 years ago and the current product label (illegal to not follow) states: “Do not use aminopry-
alid-treated plant residues, including hay or straw from treated areas, or manure from animals that have grazed forage or eaten
hay harvested from treated areas within the previous 3 days, in compost or mulch that will be applied to areas where commer-
cially grown mushrooms or susceptible broadleaf plants may be grown.” Additionally, already contaminated manure should not be replanted with for at least a year."
https://www.beyondpesticides.org/as...s/pesticidesandyou/documents/aminopyralid.pdf

This means it would be illegal for a farmer or manufacturer to use contaminated manure for soil amendment mfg. . But we know how this goes. Probably good to be mindful about compost sources.

Last edited:
Back