Question for the electricians - Generator

Hey guys, just ordered this generator.

Bought it with the intention of running a 14,000 BTU portable air conditioner in the living room in the event of a power outage, but was wondering if it really makes enough power to run a 4-ton central air conditioner. Their marketing jibber-jabber says so, but would like some information based in reality.

25amps should cover the running load easily but who knows what the startup load is.. and of course you will have more of your house on than just the A/C so.. it depends.

Theoretically yes it can run it.

PS if I was running a 14k btu window unit I'd have a 2500w-3000w generator for fuel economy.

additional not relevant info: my current 8k btu uses around 100w-560watts but its inverter compressor type so there is no startup load.

My 12.5 kw gas generator that is rated at 17 kw peak cannot start my 5 ton 16 seer Rheem unit but will run the 3 ton 12 seer Trane from 2000 with zero problems. I think you might come close with 12.5kw peak if there's no/very little load when you start it.

I think it depends on the startup surge amp draw of your a/c unit. If it's a 10 year old 4 ton unit probably not. New units, I don't know.
Remember that one outlet on that generator will max out at 50 amps.
Even if the generator puts out more that that, you can't get all the max output through 1 outlet.

Not sure if this is the same but my Wen 3800 watt generator runs my 15,000BTU ac unit in my 2014 Forest River camper plus all the other accessories I need when field camping at events.

Just my $0.02

The only way to know for sure is to try it! You might be able to get away with it if the A/C is the only load on it at start, but there's really no way to know if it can handle the instantaneous amp draw from starting the compressor.

It's not sounding like I should make any plans to have it wired up to the A/C circuit. The portable, or maybe two portables will have to suffice. Thanks for the input, guys.

that generator isnt great for running a window unit. it will burn a ton of gas.. now if you want to run 3-5 window units...

this inverter would run your window unit(if 120v) just fine and use 1/2 or lessfuel.. it doesnt have 240v though.

WEN 56235i Super Quiet 2350-Watt Portable Inverter Generator with Fuel Shut Off, CARB Compliant, Ultra Lightweight, Black​

That one you ordered is sorta stuck in the middle.. not big enough for whole home, not small enough to be efficient.

9500 watts = 39.5 amps @ 240vac
12500 watts= 50 amps@240vac
4 ton compressor starting amps starting amps 100 - 120 amps + furnace and condenser fan motors.
Generator isn't big enough. Since u have a dual fuel generator lp never goes bad like gasoline and if u have no power does the closest gas station?

Interesting review...

20210803_193045.jpg

9500 watts = 39.5 amps @ 240vac
12500 watts= 50 amps@240vac
4 ton compressor starting amps starting amps 100 - 120 amps + furnace and condenser fan motors.
Generator isn't big enough. Since u have a dual fuel generator lp never goes bad like gasoline and if u have no power does the closest gas station?
Thanks for the data. That's what I needed. Portables it is.

One is none , two is one. I do have a standby 12k gen that runs off an inground propane tank. I usually run it only for short outages because it is a fuel hog. I now have an inverter 3400 running amps 120volt which I plan on using for long term outages for night time(window ac, ref, freezer, alarm system plus lights) Daytime I do have a 5500 running watts for washing machine, gas dryer etc. The longest I went was 10 days. You got to save your fuel for a long term event. Main reason for standby was because I had well water. Now I am on city water. Also I have my house with a manual double pole double throw 200 amp switch. Normal purchase power, then I have the standby on other half of switch. Portable gens I use the off position on switch. Works great. Just be careful of the suicide cords. Also I do have the potable gens on the alarm system when in use.

The camper ACs and window units can be updated with a compressor soft start module to reduce inrush current. I haven’t seen anything for compressors in 4 ton AC sizes but they might be out there.

Go outside and find the nameplate on your central A/C unit. Look for the LRA or locked rotor amperage rating. That will tell you the startup load. Multiply LRA x 120 x 0.7 to identify the startup load in watts. That 0.7 accounts for an acceptable momentary voltage dip upon startup. Working the math in reverse suggests that your generator might handle a 113 LRA with that 0.7 factor or 79 LRA if we ignore that.

I put a sure start on my 3.5 ton central air unit so my generator can run it. Easy enough to wire in yourself and it eliminates that initial peak amp draw when the compressor starts. The good thing is it's easier on the compressor when the normal A/C power starts it up. I think my generator is 12.5 kw continuous 14 kw peak. It wouldn't start it before I installed the sure start.

Bought it here: https://www.zillerelectric.com/search?q=soft*+start*
2 sizes that depends on your RLA printed on the label.

Hey guys, just ordered this generator.

Bought it with the intention of running a 14,000 BTU portable air conditioner in the living room in the event of a power outage, but was wondering if it really makes enough power to run a 4-ton central air conditioner. Their marketing jibber-jabber says so, but would like some information based in reality.
No, it can’t.

Also if you're trying to run this off a 20 lb propane tank the gas itself might frost over and/ or the regulator won't be able to supply all that power for a long period of time. You'll want a bigger tank or tee so you can run two at once.

Back