Considering a generator

Long power outages are rare to non existent where I live. But I like to consider buying at least a portable generator. I know people that own generators 30+ years, and rarely used them. Never for power outages for days on end. So I like to consider being prepared for bare necessities and not spend alot. Run the freezers and refrigerators, maybe the well pump and some lights and other stuff. I already have a gas fire insert, so I can use that for heat, have a gas cooktop. Would love it to be dual fuel. What generator to consider? Size?

May be a bit of overkill for your needs or mine, but I wanted dual fuel and electric start. Nice unit, still breaking it in because we didn't have the rolling blackouts everyone was anticipating this summer.

Long power outages are rare to non existent where I live. But I like to consider buying at least a portable generator. I know people that own generators 30+ years, and rarely used them. Never for power outages for days on end. So I like to consider being prepared for bare necessities and not spend alot. Run the freezers and refrigerators, maybe the well pump and some lights and other stuff. I already have a gas fire insert, so I can use that for heat, have a gas cooktop. Would love it to be dual fuel. What generator to consider? Size?
Since you already have gas at your house consider a generator that runs on propane or NG if you want one for power outages. A propane/NG unit doesn't care so much if you leave it sitting for years and you don't have to worry about keeping fresh gas around.

There are all kinds of web sites that show you how to size a generator. You are absolutely right to consider a dual fuel (gasoline/natural gas). Gasoline means you need to purchase and store it and it has a limited shelf life. It is better to get one a little larger than you calculate. Look into the different ways connect the generator to the items you need to power. Extension cords are a pain. I prefer the panel interlock method if it is not prohibited by your local code.

Do you have another use for a generator? I had an older Wen that was bigger but not an inverter generator. It was super loud and obnoxious. I hardly used it because we don’t have outages very often and it was too loud for my RV.

I bought a Wen 56380 a few years ago to use on my RV. It also came in handy when the derecho came through Iowa last year. It ran our freezers, fridges, coffee maker, dishwasher etc for several days we had no power. It’s very fuel efficient and is pretty quiet.

Just my $0.02

I think I would go the other route sams club has a 2200w inverter for $319 coming up soon.

Dont have enough outages here in the days to go the whole house/natural gas route.

one long outage a year with the 30s, 5m, 30min outages somewhat more common.
last year we had a couple 5-6 hour and one 36hour.. worst year in 5+ years.

For some additional advice. I have propane, but would need to run a line outside. Also, it needs to be able to plug electronics and computers in. Don’t have to be an inverter.

Inverter generators are quiet when operated at partial load as compared to open frame 3600 rpm generators. The picture of the generator operating on a 20 pound propane cylinder will work, but only for a short duration due to gas usage. As the liquid boils off during usage, it cools reducing the pressure and limiting draw off. Been there. Sold the propane 7kw generator as natural gas not available in rural Pa and didn't want a large outdoor propane tank.

I purchased an invertor gasoline generator for noise and lower fuel consumption compared to my Honda 3600 machine.

My plan is to use the invertor generator overnight for the refrigerators and the furnace. Low noise is the priority. When we need well water (240 volt), run the Honda during day only.

Last edited:
Run the freezers and refrigerators, maybe the well pump and some lights and other stuff. I already have a gas fire insert, so I can use that for heat, have a gas cooktop. Would love it to be dual fuel. What generator to consider? Size?
Is the well pump 120 or 240 VAC? Do you know the startup load? My guess is that this one item will be the determining factor for sizing your generator as everything else will be small in comparison.

I've had a Champion 4000 for years. I fire it up every month and use stabil in the gas. It's been fine for at least a decade.

I also have a Westinghouse iGen2200 that we use for camping, but it also works as a quick plug in if we don't need to fire the 4K - like a summer storm where we want the fridge and freezer running until the power comes back on. It is super quiet and sips fuel.

The size you need largely depends on the size of your well pump. If it’s 2000 to 2500 watts, the starting wattage will around double that.

Without knowing anything, I’ll say you need a 7.5 kw. It’ll run fridge, freezer, well, lights.. no water heater, stove, etc.

If you go the inverter route for clean power, you might as well get a standby. It was $2500 more to get double the kw’s by getting a standby vs a 9kw Honda inverter.

A Generac automatic unit will be your best bet. Most outages are short duration and at inconvenient times. By the time you drag out a portable generator and get it hooked up and running, the outage will be over.

There are all kinds of web sites that show you how to size a generator. You are absolutely right to consider a dual fuel (gasoline/natural gas). Gasoline means you need to purchase and store it and it has a limited shelf life. It is better to get one a little larger than you calculate. Look into the different ways connect the generator to the items you need to power. Extension cords are a pain. I prefer the panel interlock method if it is not prohibited by your local code.
All dual fuel are gas/propane. If you want NG, you need a tri-fuel. Selection of tri-fuel inverter generators is slim.

Looked into getting a tri-fuel for our condo for power outages, as we have a NG hookup on our balcony. Nobody really makes something suitable. Just going to get a Firman 3650 portable that will be enough to keep us going and just use the NG BBQ for cooking. Going to be a doozy of a winter this year.

A Generac automatic unit will be your best bet. Most outages are short duration and at inconvenient times. By the time you drag out a portable generator and get it hooked up and running, the outage will be over.
That is Ok. I don't need to drag out the generator the minute the lights go out. I just looking to be able to survive, not preserving our creature comfort.

To play devil’s advocate: is it worth it? How much would you spend if the power went out for some long period of time, and you had to empty out the fridge as a result? as compared to the purchase and upkeep of a generator, plus whatever it costs to install wiring. Plus the effort of keeping some large amount of fuel around, since a small amount of fuel would defeat the purpose.

[I understand that propane can keep a long time, and that this may be a great use of expired propane tanks—wait until it’s just about to expire, fill and store away.]

I long toyed with getting a generator, and except for one spell have gotten by for at least 17 years without one. [That one spell was for 3 days, luckily it was that short—but in that ice storm there were those who went way longer. That’d be a lot of fuel to burn!]. My new house has a gas stove, and even a gas fireplace, so I could manage overnight I think. [But I do have a generator hookup, so I guess I could always last minute hook up a generator, it’s a regular manual panel, no backfeeding required here.]

The size you need largely depends on the size of your well pump. If it’s 2000 to 2500 watts, the starting wattage will around double that.

Without knowing anything, I’ll say you need a 7.5 kw. It’ll run fridge, freezer, well, lights.. no water heater, stove, etc.

If you go the inverter route for clean power, you might as well get a standby. It was $2500 more to get double the kw’s by getting a standby vs a 9kw Honda inverter.
Looking into what well pump I have, decoding the model number. This is what I have. 7 gpm, 3/4 hp, 1 phase 2 wire, 230 volt.

Our main reason for wanting one is to run the sump pump and keep the house from flooding if the power went out at the wrong time. I think the dual fuel would be the best option. Too expensive to get a natural gas one but I like the idea of propane as it doesn't go bad.

We have a 220v well and natural gas furnace. I have a portable 6500w gasoline gen for the house. It has a cord that I attach to a box just inside the garage that is wired to the panel with an interlock installed when I built the house. It will run the well, furnace, fridge and NG water heater, we generally turn off most of the lighting in the rare instance we use this gen (twice in 5 yrs, never more than 8 hrs)
Although propane is easier to store it has much less energy and costs about double what rec fuel costs (no ethanol)
I flirted with getting a standby gen when we built and even had a larger gas line run to the house to accommodate one but ended up not doing it simply because of cost. If I hadnt already had the portable gen I may have gone this way but the portable was already proven at our previous house with the same setup.

I've been using a Crapsman 5600 / 8k surge portable for 15 yrs now. BS motor E start. It runs my well, oil burner, fridge and a 6k window a/c with no issues. Only thing that really affects it is the 1100 watt microwave as it lugs it down. It has a digital percentage meter on it and I've never seen it above 60% usage. All LED bulbs in the house also.
So a 6k unit would be my minimum sizing for a portable.
My weekend place has 10k Generac on propane, well and electric water heater and zero issues.
My portable is on a isolation setup so my wife can plug and play if I'm not home. No back feeding issues for her to remember.
Bigger unit will not be wide open to meet demands and lower fuel usage and handle start up loads easier and be easier on your appliances.

Looking into what well pump I have, decoding the model number. This is what I have. 7 gpm, 3/4 hp, 1 phase 2 wire, 230 volt.
are you sure its 230v many can be wired as either.. check your breaker if not sure.

Back