Question about the GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had pretty much decided to use Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 in both of my cars, 01 Pont. Grand Prix and 00 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD, both w/ about 60k on them.

I then started to see mention of this GC everyone was raving about. Once I figured out that it was German Castrol, I rode down to my AZ to see if they had any. Needless to say they had a metric s*** ton
of the stuff on the shelf and in the back, the green kind w/ elves at that.

My question: Is it really that good or is it just hype because of the short supply of a product equal to Mobil 1? It's virtually the same price and I am willing to give it a run in my cars if there is a true benefit. Is there one?

Please refer to the UOA section. You will see that GC (at least the older green stuff) has delivered very good results, sometimes superior to Mobil 1. There are few UOAs with the newer gold, but initial impressions seem to be that the gold does a good job, too. In addition, at least in this area of the world, GC is priced the same as other Syntec oils, which is usually 4.99 a quart and about 30 cents lower than M1. Right now, all Syntecs are on sale at autozone for 3.99, which is a good deal no matter how you cut it. There have been some, however, who reported that GC made their cars slightly less responsive or caused an increase in gas consumption. I say, go for it and see what happens. It's not like you'd be paying any more than you would for M1.

This is true..
Plus Wal-Mart is all sold out of the 5 qt jugs of the Mobil 1 5w-30.

BTW, How can you tell if it's the green or gold? The bottle?

And one more thing: Unlike Mobil 1, I do not think that the GC formula has been changed due to chemical shortages caused by Katrina. So, you know what you're getting.

An extend OCI shoudn't be a problem for GC. However I would re-asses the situation if you tow with this truck. Also don't froget to get a very good oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back