question about oil appearence on dipstick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys, I have a question concerning the looks of the oil on the dipstick.

I have a 05 caddy cts with 102k miles. Its the second time that I do follow the OLM on the car for the oil change and right now, I'm at 9% engine oil life and almost 10k on the oil. I use M1 5w30 gm4718m specs only.

When I check the oil level when the oil is fresh up to 9k miles approximately, the oil stay on the dipstick. But yesterday with almost 10k on the oil, I found something weird. On one size of the dipstick, the oil stay on it, on the other side, its the same thing as if the oil doesnt stay in place.

I dont have a picture but check this one its exactly how the oil is on the dipstick looks like like water dripping from a window. Is this normal?

200767010_jtutg-S-2.jpg

You more than likely have a water contamination issue. When a car is run for short trips and started/shut off with out getting and staying at operating temp condensation can collect and form water contamination.

Keep a eye on you coolant level. In some cases coolant can seep into the crank case due to a faulty seal.

If your coolant is at the same level. It is simply water contamination. I good half an hour to an hour of highway or hard driving will allow the engine to get hot long enough to evaporate the water in the oil.

Going 10,000 miles on M1 can be done, but should be checked with a UOA to make sure YOUR engine and driving style can accomodate that OCI. Some times, people can not go that far due to MANY variables.

Originally Posted By: Spykem4e

I have a 05 caddy cts with 102k miles.

Don't get all panicked just yet, although I know every Northstar owner lives in fear of a coolant-to-oil leak...

What did you wipe the dipstick with? I've noticed that if I wipe the stick with a shop rag that has been recently washed (especially if it somehow got fabric softener tossed in) that the oil will "bead up" on the stick and I have to re-wipe the stick with something else to get a good reading. Also it happens a lot with those blue disposable shop towels. Best thing seems to be a plain old somewhat used red shop rag or kitchen type paper towel.

Last edited:
This doesn't make since. You can't have oil on one side of a dip stick and water on the other side. If water gets in your oil it milks up the entire sump. This may be a hoax.

Originally Posted By: tig1
This doesn't make since. You can't have oil on one side of a dip stick and water on the other side. If water gets in your oil it milks up the entire sump. This may be a hoax.

In a car sump, a little water condensation can be anywhere. One side of the dip stick could have wiped by an area of contamination while on its way out.

Or the dipstick tube could of had a small amount of condensation and the dipstick rubed ub against it while he pulled the dip stick out.

Many dipsticks get wiped on one side when you pull it out. I suspect that is what is happening. I would check with the engine hot after driving for 60 min. Maybe you have some sludge or goo on the bend in the dipstick tube and some gets smeared on the dipstick as you pull it out.

I might have the oil analyzed. Its $20 and if you really do have a coolant leak, changing the oil will not fix it. The oil analysis will list out water and antifreeze in the oil.

To see if significant water, put a couple drops of oil from the dipstick in a spoon, then hold a flame under it until the oil starts smoking. If you get any crackles or pops, it is supposed to indicate water.

A blotter would be interesting. I have been doing them for years, but do not claim to know how to read them, just if they look bad I might post it here.

On my last UOA, everything seems fine except of course, high iron from maybe M1. I drive approx. 120 to 250 kms per day. A lot of start-up, some small drive but usually a lot of highway driving.

I'm a sales manager on the road 98% of the time so my car is my business office. I try t follow the OLM of the car but now I'm at 8% and I'm going to change it this friday and I already paid for 3 Oil Analysis so this one is going to go for an analysis.

Its been 10 minutes since I'm back from my little 125 miles trip so I'll go check the oil again and give you an update.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Spykem4e

I have a 05 caddy cts with 102k miles.

Don't get all panicked just yet, although I know every Northstar owner lives in fear of a coolant-to-oil leak...

What did you wipe the dipstick with? I've noticed that if I wipe the stick with a shop rag that has been recently washed (especially if it somehow got fabric softener tossed in) that the oil will "bead up" on the stick and I have to re-wipe the stick with something else to get a good reading. Also it happens a lot with those blue disposable shop towels. Best thing seems to be a plain old somewhat used red shop rag or kitchen type paper towel.

The coolant never moved for years! I just checked it.. but guess what..

You are right about a freshly washed rag. The engine is now hot. I pull the dipstick out and instead of wiping it to put it back and checking the level, I just checked the appearance of the oil and its fine. Then, I wipe it with a papertowel and checked again. Its fine. Wipe it again but this time with the rag that I normally use and you're right! It beads back!

I never thought that I would be talking about what kinda rag to use when checking engine oil!

LOL

This forum is incredible source of knowledge!

Thanks a lot.

BTW, if you wanna check my UOA of this present oil, next week I'll have the results since I'm going for an oil change this friday. We'll see if I can trust the OLM on the car hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back