Question about exterior paint job

My house just got some stucco work done. Basically it was replacing wood around windows with foam and concrete. Now I am repainting the house.

So most of the quotes I got is 2 coats of paint, say for me Sherwin William Emerald Rain Refresh, most painters estimated 35 gallons and 2 coats. I gave my job to a guy who quoted for $7300 instead of the other 2 for $9500. They all have 4.5-5 stars on Yelp.

I went on a trip while they were doing part of the job and come back today. I saw part of the house already painted the new color and the other part being painted as I walk around. I see that they spray, then another guy using a roller to roll it through almost immediately after. When the day end the painter (not the guy who gave me the quote) says they already applied 2 coats as the guy with the roller is doing it right after (instead of waiting 2-4 hrs for it to dry before the 2nd coat as Sherwin William says on the instruction).

Fortunately the paint is rated for 1 coat for repaint and 2 coats on bare surface (new stucco for example), and the guy doing it on new stucco says they will paint it again in a couple of days as they have paint shortage now.

I want to know, if you were me, knowing that SW says it is ok for 1 coat, but the quote says 2 coats, do you think you will ask the painter to do another coat or refund some money back to you (assuming it looks good for 1 coat). Color was changed from beige to baby blue, so far I haven't seen any spot with missing color yet.

Thanks

I know some kinds of exterior paints like elastomeric are best applied sprayed on, then rolled. The roller picks up excess paint from the wet sprayed surface and smooths it. If that is what the painter was doing (not dipping the roller in a paint tray or having a power feed) that is definitely one coat.
Was the roller immediately following the sprayer and rolling over the wet paint? If so you are owed another coat.

I know some kinds of exterior paints like elastomeric are best applied sprayed on, then rolled. The roller picks up excess paint from the wet sprayed surface and smooths it. If that is what the painter was doing (not dipping the roller in a paint tray or having a power feed) that is definitely one coat.
Was the roller immediately following the sprayer and rolling over the wet paint? If so you are owed another coat.
Pretty much immediately following, within 20 mins for sure. A real coat if I remember right, is at least 2-4 hrs after the first one is "set" or "dry" and it is definitely not that. Since I am not home on 1/2 of the job I have no way to prove they didn't paint 2 layers already. I can only go by how many gallons they bought already but that's about it.

This!

Applying a second coat (if he's actually dipping his roller in paint) immediately after the first coat is applied is asking for trouble. I have found out the hard way. A painter who paints around the whole house first then applies the second coat is using the best method. That would have allowed enough time for the first coat to sufficiently cure.

Last edited:
When spraying an interior or exterior of a house and "back rolling" you are not applying two coats. The paint that was sprayed on is still wet, back rolling it insures better adhesion, and works the paint into the texture of the surface. It also stipples the surface a bit making touching it up easier. Two coats means the paint is applied, allowed to fully dry and the application process is repeated. The painter is a liar, and doing something very common in the industry to cheat a customer.

They were counting on you not watching. "Paint shortage" is their excuse for being caught red-handed. They should have mixed enough paint for the entire job, now they're going to have to order more and make sure it matches.

Hold their feet to the fire.

They were counting on you not watching. "Paint shortage" is their excuse for being caught red-handed. They should have mixed enough paint for the entire job, now they're going to have to order more and make sure it matches.

Most painters I know say they order enough for slightly less then they will order more based on how much to order again, I don't think it would be a problem over an entire house. At least we have one wall in our neighbor's yard they paint last so if mismatch it would be in their yard not mine.

When someone low balls a bid far from the others, watch out.

Last edited:
So the guy finally give in after I mentioned I talked to Sherwin Williams and they said it sounds like one coat with back rolling. They came over and is working on the 2nd coat now, just a spray but at least it is a second coat.

Back