Question about damage to new radiator from shipping

I just received this Denso radiator via FedEx and there was some damage to the box. Should I be concerned about the damage to the radiator in the pic below (ignore the shadows - it's the crushed bit in the middle)?

2024-03-19-11-59-15-086.jpg

It's probably fine. You could always plug the lower hose hole and fill it with water to make sure it doesn't leak prior to installing. Sure it won't be pressurized like the cooling system in a car ends up but it beats putting it in just to find the coolant coming out as quick as you pour it in.

It took RockAuto (really FedEx 🙄) 3 tries to ship me a Denso radiator that arrived in one piece

Depending on how hard it is to change, I'd ask for a replacement

Or you could leak test it yourself and roll with it

I ordered one years ago from eEuroparts. Came damaged like that, maybe a bit worse. I contacted them and requested another with instructions on returning the damaged radiator. They told me to keep the original one and sent me another. So I got 10 years service from the good one and the other sat in my shed. I took it to a radiator shop and they told me it was fine. It has been in the old Volvo for 10 more years now. No problem.

Two for the price of one. Ridgy didge

Bent fins are fine, bent tubes are not good. You have no idea if a crack was formed when its bent. And the attached fins can tear the tube.
The problem is they need to use very thick card board and alot of foam. Just bad packaging.

Take some needle nosed pliers and gently straighten the fins. Don't mess with the tube. Leak test before installation. Should be good to go.

ACDelco rad since were now comparing rad packing methods. Expanding foam on the corners and Styrofoam blocks in the center. Couple bent fins but straight as a blade. Plugs on the Engine/Transmission oil cooler QC fittings is a nice touch. And I meant solid actual plugs with o-ring seals and twist-lock into the QC fittings, not crummy plastic caps. Had to keep them for less mess rad removal in the future.

IMG_0056.JPG

Back