Question about car that's been sitting 5 years.

Checked the oil. Level full, looks to be in good shape (amber colored, slight gasoline smell). I filled up a 5 gallon can with super unleaded, poured it into the tank. Hooked up a jumper box to it, all dash lights and electronics work, turned the key, and she immediately started right up! Smooth and silent, purring like a happy kitten:D. I'm going to leave it on an overnight slow charge to see if the battery will still hold a charge. Worst case I'll go to Walmart and buy a new battery.

So far so good! (y)

i ran a car with 4 year old oil before, its a beater with problems, i don't know if the old oil caused any of them. there's very little humidity where I live so I wasn't worried about condensation, and I drove less than 1000 miles on the oil.

Sitting for 5 years huh? If you care about the car, and it sounds like you do, consider the cheap $40 investment in an oil & filter service. Then it can be idled and run without any concerns about the oil.

Sitting for 5 years huh? If you care about the car, and it sounds like you do, consider the cheap $40 investment in an oil & filter service. Then it can be idled and run without any concerns about the oil.
That is always my thought when thinking if I extend an OCI: just throw in a cheap combo oil & filter, do a short OCI, and consider it a clean OCI. Cheap investment.

Back