Question about car that's been sitting 5 years.

Battery is completely dead. It's probably at least 7 years old. Should I just maybe grab a decent cheapie from Walmart? The one that's in there now is a Die Hard 24F 50923, 725 CCA.

Yeah, your chances of reviving that battery are slim to none so you're going to need a new one.

This thread is making me think that BITOG should change it's URL to bobhasocd.com. Heck, pretty much all the threads. 😁

Sorry to add fuel to the fire l; I would be concerned that the paper/media in the oil filter had degraded and would be changing that for sure. Now I’m guessing you’re looking at a couple grand in body work. What’s a $50 O&F change on top of that?

Yeah, your chances of reviving that battery are slim to none so you're going to need a new one.

This thread is making me think that BITOG should change it's URL to bobhasocd.com. Heck, pretty much all the threads. 😁
Haha that's me for sure! I definitely have "car maintenance ocd":D

Battery is completely dead. It's probably at least 7 years old. Should I just maybe grab a decent cheapie from Walmart? The one that's in there now is a Die Hard 24F 50923, 725 CCA.
Again, what if the body shop leaves your door open with the dome light on, now you've run a lead acid battery flat, which is a strike against it.

Throw the battery on a charger, see what happens, then get the cheapie before you trust the car as a daily driver.

This thread seems like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, or cleaning your house before the maid comes over, so you don't look like a slob.

The biggest problem with this car is that IT'S WRECKED. Oil, batteries, new air freshener, etc you can handle when you get the thing back.

I'd check the gas before you add that premium-- you could be on the hook to dispose of ten gallons of bad gas instead of five. Could be worth disconnecting the fuel rail and using the pump to pump the old gas into a jerry can. If it's not varnished you can add a gallon for every fillup until it's gone.

I would not be worried about the oil. I would drain the fuel and replace with new and check the air filter for mouse holes and nests.

Everybody has differing opinions oil, gas, coolant, battery, etc. It's been sitting 5 years so another month at the body shop won't matter. You DO want a good battery or else they might leave it idling for an hour so they don't have to jump it again to move it and it may overheat. If it starts and runs OK on the gas in the tank, the fuel is fine.

Everybody has differing opinions oil, gas, coolant, battery, etc. It's been sitting 5 years so another month at the body shop won't matter. You DO want a good battery or else they might leave it idling for an hour so they don't have to jump it again to move it and it may overheat. If it starts and runs OK on the gas in the tank, the fuel is fine.
Any shop has a jumper pack for these situations. They aren't going to idle his car for an hour.

Using a jumper pack takes extra time. You never know how they will treat your car.
60 seconds to use a jumper pack is less convenient than them having to plan anything an hour in advance to account for idling the car? That's not how shops operate.

Getting ready to take my 300ZX to a friend's body shop for him to fix for me. It's been sitting for 5 years since it got hit. It's got QSUD 10W30 in it that's (of course) 5 years old. Will it cause any harm to the engine if I start it up just long enough to drive it up on ramps to give it a fresh oil change before I drive it to his shop?

Drove it up on the Ramps and change it. Or wait till after it comes back from the shop. Either way just get it changed.

What’s the oil on the dipstick look like?

Don’t worry. It could be worse. I actually got actual water in my jeeps 4.0 oil.. I was washing the engine cold with a power washer and afterwards I opened the oil cap on top and saw actual water drip in the female threading on the engine and the male threading was wet as well.. I’m getting a. We oil cap and doing an oil change tommorow.

Getting ready to take my 300ZX to a friend's body shop for him to fix for me. It's been sitting for 5 years since it got hit. It's got QSUD 10W30 in it that's (of course) 5 years old. Will it cause any harm to the engine if I start it up just long enough to drive it up on ramps to give it a fresh oil change before I drive it to his shop?
Nope, leave it with us. We can put some miles on that QSUD and get your money's worth 😂😆. I am thinking that your going to need a couple of bottles of Redline si-1 and a new fuel pump,battery maybe.

I wouldn't worry about the gas, I wouldn't even add any fresh gas to what's in there. You'll be surprised that the car will likely start up fine on that old gas that's in the tank.

When you get the car back and a new battery it in, run it with the existing gas until it's just about empty and then fill it up full of a top-tier fuel with a bottle of Gumout Regane, Techron, Berryman's B12, or even two or three of these in consecutive tanks to clean the fuel system.

What's your plan for the brakes? Have you tried moving the car yet, because the pads are most likely rusted to the rotors.

Fuel going stale and not running will be your biggest challenge.

If it was me, new cheap battery, add 7 gallons of premium fuel and change oil as soon as practical. Look for mouse nests with a flashlight and mirror and dont forget air in the tires.

You might need a spray can of either / start fluid to get it going.. a couple bottles of techron in your fuel tank.

Back