Question about 1999 GMC Sierra 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 1999 Sierra Classic would be the same as a 1998, it was a continuation of that body style for one more year, mostly for fleets or as they ramped up new production.

All 2500s and 3500s in 1999 were that body style, as well.

It is a 5.7 if it's a Sierra Classic.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
FIL's 96 looks identical to that one, and yes the oil filter is a real piece of work to get to. (5.7 V8 4WD)

It definitely was one of the worst vehicles I've had to change oil on. I forgot to take out the plug in my drain pan and it overflowed all down my driveway. The oil filter was on so tight that even my filter wrench put dents and scrapes in it trying to get it to turn. I still have bruises on my hand from turning it so hard. I was finally able to get it off with some gloves that gave me a little bit more grip, even though it was a Fram my hands were still slipping. They must've put it on there with enough torque to tighten a lug nut! And I hated the location, there's not much room at all and it was right above the drive shaft so that got all oily as well. And with the 1 quart overfill that I'm going to drain out today, I'd say it was quite the learning experience.
LOL.gif

I had him bring it over today and the 8th digit was indeed "R", so it's a 5.7 as Bill said. I drained out about a quart and it's just a hair over the full mark now, good to go!
thumbsup2.gif
I probably could've left it at 6 quarts but I can sleep better knowing it's not overfilled anymore and I don't have to have that on my conscience.

I have the same motor in my 1999 chevy K 1500 Z71, "R", 5.7.

takes 5.1 qts and PF52 oil filter,4.3's will take the same.

40.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back