quest for best 2 cycle oil maybe solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
http://www.ultralightnews.com/features/oiltest.htm

looks like Pennzoil is good all around.

yea I wont be buying brand a brand b or brand c those really sucked, they wont get my money
05.gif

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
What the Heck they don't show the brand of synthetic oil????? Could be a crummy syn oil............

But they show the Pennzoil brands?

got to love those test, they show so much valuble information
LOL.gif

We used Pennzoil, Pennzoil, something, something. Guess what, Pennzoil was the best.

All they proved is Pennzoil was better than some other oil in a very expensive way.

This test has been around for a very long time. At one time, I did know what oils were used.

The results in SeaDoo racing circles are quite different. However the engines and many of the parts are quite similar.

Originally Posted By: lazaro
What the Heck they don't show the brand of synthetic oil????? Could be a crummy syn oil............

LOL.gif

Enough valuable information that Rotax recommended the Pennzoil Air Cooled 2-cycle oil over the others. Maybe you should go up to the Sebring airport and spend some time around those ultralights. Or even better, if you get a chance, go to the big EAA Air Show in Oshkosh this summer and spend some time in the ultralight section and ask all of them what oil they prefer. And I do know what the synthetic oil was, but won't say as to stay out of an oil war.

Stick to automobile oils lazaro, there you have some creditability.

Worthless, no credible information? Back in 1994 when this test was done I would highly disagree with you and I believe most avid ultralight owners would disagree with you. There were three Rotax engineers present at that test and the results proved to be very valid. But I really don't give a chit about what anyone thinks about something that took place in 1994. There has been a lot of progress since that day in oils. If someone reads a 15 year old article to determine what's the best oil for them to use in 2009, so be it.

Yes Johnny I agree with you about reading a 15 year old article to figure out "the way". It's like driving down the highway looking in your rearview mirror for guidance on when you are going to smash into the car in front of you!

Ok the info is old. I still avidly read several ultralight forums and the Pennzoil Air Cooled is still being used and talked about since the disappearance of the Mobil MX2T. Is it the best today? Who knows.. but they are using it and so are many commercial lawn companies. For the cost versus its competitors and ease of buying..i still think its the best.

The ARTICLE is suspect even in 1994 and is little more than an abstract. It was probably a very good test but this ARTICLE is advertising for a single brand. If it weren't advertising it would name all of the test subjects or none of the test subjects.

Originally Posted By: lazaro

lol.gif

My first quick observation is that the authour didn't seem to allow for the possibility of having to re-tune the carb when messing around with oil ratios so much.

Saber @ 100:1 has more combustible fuel running through the system and he didn't lean it out to compensate. I'd guess that may be responsible for some of the deposits and the lower RPM, for instance.

I had never seen the Pennzoil synthetic TC-W3 oil until last week. I was at the Bass Pro outlet and they had the synthetic Pennzoil in gallon jugs. That stuff was $32 per gallon, a far amount higher than the regular 2-cycle oils.

I guess that's why Wal-Mart and the autoparts stores don't carry it. It's not likely to be a top seller at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back