Quaker State vs. Pennzoil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have seen several references to Pennzoil as a high quality conventional oil. But nothing much about Quaker State. Pennzoil-Quaker State are both owned by Shell Oil Co. I have been using QS 10W-30 in my 2002 Trailblazer 4.2 I6 since its first oil change. I "enrolled" it in the QS 10 year-250,000 mile warranty deal.

Is there any significant difference between Quaker State and Pennzoil 10W-30 regular oil?

I'm sure there is a difference from a chemical standpoint, but for the person who changes their oil every 3-5k miles... probably not.

I'd stick with using QS... it's usually cheaper... the last case I bought I got for $0.69 per quart. The cheapest I've seen Pennzoil is $0.89. Both were mail-in rebates.

Did you guys notice that Havoline has a slightly better warranty of 10yr/300,000 miles for 3k oil changes?

69¢ a qt is what I paid after the rebate, too. Seems like Pennzoil is usually about .10 more than QS when I compared. Interesting about the Havoline. Might have to check out their terms. These deals are a good way for them to "lock" you into usng their brand forever too. The QS deal requires 3k OR every 4 months regardless of miles driven. Since I don't put a lot of miles on the vehicle there are times the oil has had less than 2k on it when the 4 months were up. One thing about it, it likely won't ever get sludged up or dirty that way! This thing takes 7 qts with filter. And the price is right if I catch it on sale and it has a rebate, so no big expense. Seems like cheap insurance.

Have you also noticed that Havoline/Chevron has a better additive package as well as the warranty?

Where do you find specifics about additives in various brands? The Quaker State data sheet I looked at on their web site didn't tell much.

RE: Havoline warranty - is longer, but not necessarily better. It requires an OCI for severe service (typically 3K), whereas Pennzoil-QS permits OCI of 4 months/4K. It also looks like it must be XpressLube installed (maybe not, couldn't really tell) whereas with P/QS, you can change your own oil & filter.

RE: the additives - look at the VOA and UOA on this site for some of the chemistry. BITOGers' guru's tell us mortals that Pennzoil, Havoline (I think), Castrol, Chevron, some others (Trop Arctic, Conoco/Mystik?) are Group II bases, whereas QS may not be in all of its formulations.

Personnally think QS is excellent oil as demonstrated by several UOAs.

Have you also noticed that Havoline/Chevron has a better additive package as well as the warranty? I agree Chevron Supream DINO KING Castrol syntec Blend for the stop & Go driver in you.
tongue.gif

As sjlee said as long as you change the oil often it really doesn't matter. IMO, the warranty these oil companies give is just another way to sell oil and stay with a certain brand. Ive never heard of anybody having a oil related engine problem who does regular oil changes ethier by miles or time.

Just my .02

I believe there was information awhile back that Pennzoil is no longer all Group II+, but rather Group II with some Group II+. This could change when the SM/GF-4 oils are generally available at the end of November, though. All of the conventional oils mentioned in this thread are worthy contenders. The sleepers, in my opinion, are the new ConocoPhillips entry-level conventional oils. As of 08/16/04, the four brands' 5W-20 and 5W-30 entry level oils have been reformulated to synthetic (presumably Group III) blends as part of the upgrade to ILSAC GF-4 status and are prominently displayed on the front labels as such. Each highlighted brand name below links to the respective brand's announcement with a graphic of the bottle and front label.

Phillips 66 TropArtic Synthetic Blend
76 Super Synthetic Blend
Conoco Synthetic Blend
Kendall GT-1 Synthetic Blend

ConocoPhillips has also indicated that the company's various 10W-30s will become similar synthetic blends by spring. The problem here in the West is finding the stuff at mass merchandisers. I thought I read recently that Sam's Club carries the Kendall, but I haven't checked it out. (Naturally I'm a Costco member...) In any event, I doubt the other majors will let ConocoPhillips' challenge go unanswered.

quote:

Originally posted by dropitby:
Have you also noticed that Havoline/Chevron has a better additive package as well as the warranty? I agree Chevron Supream DINO KING Castrol syntec Blend for the stop & Go driver in you.
tongue.gif

I remember reading somewhere on this site that Chevron Supreme 5/30 didn't have particularly great cold start numbers. I can't find the thread using the search feature. Is there any truth to this or does anyone know where this was written?
PS. A co-worker has nearly 300K on a 89 Corolla
using QS dino almost exclusively so it must be pretty good oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back