Quaker State Univ. HDX

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local Wal-Mart was cleaning house this past weekend soI helped them out. They had their Pennzoil LongLife 15/40 for $2.50 per gallon so I bought 4 gallons. However, they also had Quaker State Universal HDX 15/40 for $.50 per quart in both individual quarts and gallon jugs. So I bought 4 gallons of this too plus 10 quarts.

I searched on here to see if anyone had used or tested the Quaker State but I only found it mentioned a couple of times with no actual data. Is this a decent oil to use for short intervals in my 22 year old Rabbit diesel? The QS has the 0lder CH-4 rating on the bottles so i suspect they've been on the shelf for a while. The gallon jugs had CI-4 rating.

I wonder what the actual difference is between the QS and Penn?

I would imagine that the Quaker State and Pennzoil HD motor oil that you just bought is far better than the oil that your VW had when it left the factory 22 years ago. Back then the specs were probably SG/CF. The current oil that you had should do a much better job and either last longer or if you use a short interval leave your motor cleaner than the old spec oils would have. The TBN of the Quaker State oil is 10 and the TBN of the Pennzoil is 12 or 12.5. The Pennzoil is clearly better but I would feel safe using the Quaker State oil as well. I think that you got a great deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back