Quaker State Ultimate - 5w30 - 5,176mi - 09 Lexus ES350

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typical 5,000 mile automatic maintenance reminder on this generation Lexus. The owner doesn't plan to extend. The car sees lots of short trips to work and back daily.

I poured in the same QSUD but in 10w30 flavor for the remainder of summer here in Florida. Will not be sampling anymore. Engine is healthy (which was the reason for the sample to begin with) and the OCI is easily achievable even with conventional oil if needed but will stick with synthetic because IT'S CHEAP!!

Overall I'm not too impressed with the QSUD. TBN seems low for "only" 5,000 miles.

Code:

OIL Quaker State Ultimate Durability Synthetic

MILES IN USE 5,176 miles

MILES on unit 123,667

SAMPLE TAKEN 06/23/2018

Make up Oil 0

Universal Average based on 6,000 miles

ALUMINUM 2 3

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 5 8

COPPER 2 2

LEAD 0 0

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 214 70

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 2

POTASSIUM 1 2

BORON 9 37

SILICON 13 16

SODIUM 7 51

CALCIUM 2165 1725

MAGNESIUM 14 322

PHOSPHORUS 684 673

ZINC 782 765

BARIUM 0 0

Values Should Be*

SUS VIS 210ºF 55.7 55-62

cSt @ 212ºF 8.99 8.8-11.1

FLASHPOINT ºF 415 >375

Fuel %
Antifreeze 0.0 0.0

WATER 0.0
INSOLUBLES 0.1
TBN 2.1 >1.0

Yeah im a bit surprised that the 5k interval is about right for an interval. Let us know how the heavier oil does! Would be cool to see how M1, PP or PU does for same interval!

Good report, minus the tbn. Thanks for sharing.
thumbsup2.gif

But I don't understand the viscosity at 100c, did it shear down that much or is this an older or newer formulation?
I bought some of this oil thinking it was on the thicker side.The other numbers are also off.Here's a VOA from last year.

Nice dose of Moly at about 200 ppm, but I too was also expecting the TBN of 2.1 to be a bit higher after only ~ 5200 miles.

Certainly the iron wear at 5 ppm is great.

QSUD is $20/5 quart oil … and is not made/marketed for long OCI, is it?
5k-7k for that price point? Good oil if you are OK changing about then.

Going by additive levels, it looks like the oil in the OP is pre-dexos1 Gen 2.
I am also surprised by how low the 100C viscosity is, doesn't seem like there is any fuel dilution...??

This is the previous, non-dexos1gen2 formulation. Would be interesting to see how the new formulation holds up TBN wise. Overall though, that's a great looking report. As said previously, for an oil at this price point, can't ask for much better.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Going by additive levels, it looks like the oil in the OP is pre-dexos1 Gen 2.
I am also surprised by how low the 100C viscosity is, doesn't seem like there is any fuel dilution...??

Yeah … that oil has lots of calcium … so not for all current engines …

Awesome oil,I’m running it in both of my cars and probably always will. It’s the smoothest quietest oil I’ve ever used. I’ll be stepping up to the 10W30 version in my Accord next oil change.

Assuming the viscosity and the TBN are accurate, then it's likely that average speed and engine hours over the oci are more meaningful metrics to explain the TBN depletion than the mileage.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Yeah im a bit surprised that the 5k interval is about right for an interval. Let us know how the heavier oil does! Would be cool to see how M1, PP or PU does for same interval!

Agreed. I did have a 2011 Toyota Avalon that had a similar 5k mile OCI timer from the factory. I doubled it to 10k with regular plain jane Mobil 1 SM. The driving conditions were different for the Avalon though and it saw lots of highway cruising, although at rather high speeds at times...
27.gif

Here's a link in case you want to take a peek.

2011 Toyota Avalon UOA after 10,000 miles on Mobil 1 SM

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
thumbsup2.gif

But I don't understand the viscosity at 100c, did it shear down that much or is this an older or newer formulation?
I bought some of this oil thinking it was on the thicker side.The other numbers are also off.Here's a VOA from last year.

Hmmmmm... that is weird that the reports are way different.

This is the oil I used but in 5w30 and in a 5qt jug.

Which one was that VOA on?

Originally Posted By: SR5
Nice dose of Moly at about 200 ppm, but I too was also expecting the TBN of 2.1 to be a bit higher after only ~ 5200 miles.

Certainly the iron wear at 5 ppm is great.

I also expected better results in regards to TBN after only 6 months and 5k miles. This was the first time QSUD went into the block, so perhaps it was cleaning things up from prior oils / deposits and TBN took a hit? The car was purchased used with 116,000 miles or so with unknown prior service history but looks relatively clean through the filler hole.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
QSUD is $20/5 quart oil … and is not made/marketed for long OCI, is it?
5k-7k for that price point? Good oil if you are OK changing about then.

Regardless of the price (although $20 seems like a lot by my oil clearance prices) any oil labeled Full Synthetic should be able to do 10k AT A MINIMUM with TBN to spare. I don't think that's too much to ask.

If Quaker States BEST Ultimate class of synthetic is practically calling it quits after only 5k miles, I'm scared to know how their cheapest regular conventional oil would have looked in this engine after the same interval.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Assuming the viscosity and the TBN are accurate, then it's likely that average speed and engine hours over the oci are more meaningful metrics to explain the TBN depletion than the mileage.

Perhaps. The car doesn't really do extended idling or anything abnormal besides rather short daily trips to and from work where the engine doesn't spend much time at operating temp.

That and as stated in an earlier post above, this was the first time this oil went into the engine. Perhaps it was on cleanup duty from prior unknown service history and TBN took a hit?

I'll try to convince the owner to dish out for another report during the next OC. Maybe they will splurge on TBN + TAN so we can get a better view of oil condition...

In my experience TBN drops slowly from here on down. I had a Blackstone UOA with a TBN of 1.0 and they suggested I go another 1,000 or so miles. I see nothing wrong with this oil being used another 2,000 miles. Even if the viscosity drops a little out of range it's not going to be problem. Excellent report.

Oh wow. I thought 1.0 was their cutoff. Why would they suggest another grand on top if TBN is at their personal Lab Limit.
33.gif

I agree that the oil can go longer if needed but I doubt the owner will want to drive around for a few more thousand miles with the MAINTENANCE REQUIRED Light ON. He says it starts [censored] him off when it starts blinking during startup 500 miles before it triggers. Haha.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is an excellent report with low wear numbers. Plus it probably has another 2000 miles in it, if you really wanted to push it, it's just I was expecting a bit more TBN.

The QSUD 5W30 has 2165 ppm Ca (no significant Mg or Na detergents) and returned a TBN of 2.1 after 5200 miles.

The Kendall GT-1 5W30 (below) has 2144 ppm Ca (no significant Mg or Na detergents) and returned a TBN of 3.2 after 5900 miles.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4746668/

Maybe B.S. for the QSUD and Wix for the GT-1 measure using a different standard - I don't know ? Certainly different engines and climate.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: rollinpete
thumbsup2.gif

Hmmmmm... that is weird that the reports are way different.

This is the oil I used but in 5w30 and in a 5qt jug.

Which one was that VOA on?

I think it's this bottle (newer formula), your's doesn't say dexos on it.

Here's the post I found the voa on.
Click here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back