Quaker State, Pennzoil and Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Pennzoil bought out Quaker State and then Shell bought out Pennzoil, these are all the same company now, correct? Shell bought Pennzoil in 2002, so I would think that integration efforts should be nearly complete.

I found this information by looking at the Quaker State website: Quaker State About Page

Can we conclude that most Quaker State, Pennzoil and Shell Lubricant consumer products are simply different labels and bottles containing the same things? If not, why not? How would it make any sense for Shell to develop and distribute three different 10W-30 SL motor oils or other products? Wouldn't it make sense for the QS, Pennzoil and Shell SL 10W-30 to all be the same thing inside?

John

John take a look at this thread. Johnny said that the addative packages and viscosity improvers are different. I also think that Pennzoil used group II+ basestocks and QS uses group II.

According to previous postings here from a Pennzoil rep, Pennz has better base oil than Shell, Shell has better base oil than Quaker, and Pennz has better viscosity index improvers than Quaker.

They produce so many gallons of oil that they can produce different qualities for different price points.

The next formulation due out this summer, ILSAC GF-4 and API-SM, may see more consolidation.

Ken

Interesting. I don't see that the general marketplace would put Pennzoil ahead of Shell and Shell ahead of Quaker State in terms of perceived quality and therefore price point.

John

All three are different as stated above, so I won't go into all that again. As for as perceived value, the market place would rank these three as #1 Pennzoil, #2 Quaker State, and #3 Formula Shell.

In the over all market place the rankings are as follows:

#1 Pennzoil
#2 Quaker State
#3 Valvoline
#4 Castrol
#5 Havoline
#6 Mobil
#7 All the rest

You can go to any of the oil companies listed and ask them to print you a NPD sheet and this is the way it reads. You can call it real value, perseived value, or what ever, but these are the rankings. I know some on this board would change these around and even add some of the high end synthetics above all of these, but the 3,000 plus members on this board are a drop in the bucket compared to the average consumer that all these brands appeal to. Just the way it is.

Interesting, my first hand experience is they sell in this order:

Valvoline, Havoline, Quaker State, Mobil, Penzoil, and castrol.

FWIW,

-Keith

Interesting difference. Is Keith's list the reverse order of price at Wal-Mart? Does Pennzoil do better in other channels where price is less important?

This thread pushes me in the direction of continuing to pay a premium for Pennzoil.

Thanks for the insights. I still would bet big money that 10 years from now Shell will probably not be making different products to sell under their different brand names.

John

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
Thanks for the insights. I still would bet big money that 10 years from now Shell will probably not be making different products to sell under their different brand names.

John

I think you missing an important fact here. Shell didn't just buy the name "Pennzoil." They bought the entire company, including all its operations. They bought it because it was a profitable blender of the best selling oil in the US. There will no doubt be some internal reorganizations, but I guarantee you Shell has no plans to disband Pennzoil as a stand alone company and start filling up Pennzoil bottles with Shell oil. Ain't gonna happen. Pennzoil didn't do this when they bought Quaker State, and Shell isn't going to do it either.

By comparison, when Phillips bought Kendall, all they bought were the rights to the name "Kendall." They did not buy the Kendall refinery and blending facility in Bradford, PA. Hence, they had to come with a "new" Kendall oil to put in those Kendall bottles. Those who want to use the "original" Kendall formulas (now tweaked to meet the latest API specs) can buy the "BradPenn" oils, which is the name of the oil now coming out of the Bradford facility.

T-Keith: Seeing you are from Minnesota that does not surprise me. Valvoline is very popular in the Twin Cities followed by Havoline. I would reverse the Pennzoil and Quaker State though. If you were in Louisiana, Alabama, or Georgia, you might list Castrol #1 as they are strong there. Up in parts of New England Mobil is #1, and Valvoline is #1 in Kentucky. But on the national level the way I have it listed is correct.

G-Man II is correct the way he stated it.

I would not be so sure on Valvoline being #1 in Kentucky. It may be the biggest oil company in Kentucky but not the best seller from my personal retail experiences across the Bluegrass State. Pennzoil--without a doubt--is the most requested/bought/trusted brand I deal with easily outselling all others combined.**

** This refers to conventional Pennzoil 10w30 SL as compared to other conventional 10w30 SL rated oils.

G-Man II hit the nail on the head in regards to Shell/Pennzoil brand integration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back