Quaker state full synthetic

Having your oil analyzed helps in determining an OCI.

People live in the "3,000 mile" and "5,000 mile" world. Others confidently recommend 7,500 miles while others drink the Kool-Aid and swear by 10,000 and higher mileages because it's written on the label.

Sure, highway miles on a fit engine with modern oils can go longer than Grampi did with his '53 Dodge but you won't know without sending a sample off.

RockAuto offers an economical sample mailer kit. Other more expensive testing is available for TBN numbers (remaining life, I believe).

As above, I wouldn't be surprised if you could do 10,000 mile OCIs but you won't KNOW without analysis.
Yes its been awhile but when I got my Wix test kits from RA they were $9.99 each.

Somebody earlier posted this simple equation for formulating a realistic OCI;

crankcase oil capacity x50 x average mpg. For example my 2018 Ford Edge 3.5 holds 6 quarts and gets ~26 average mpg. = 7800 miles OCI. Engine oil life monitor will run to about 10K miles which I think is too far.
*Interesting tool to play around with to get a realistic OCI - curious how each part of the equation fits together to obtain a realistic OCI ?

Qs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211029-152553_Walmart.jpg
    Screenshot_20211029-152553_Walmart.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 55
Having your oil analyzed helps in determining an OCI.

People live in the "3,000 mile" and "5,000 mile" world. Others confidently recommend 7,500 miles while others drink the Kool-Aid and swear by 10,000 and higher mileages because it's written on the label.

Sure, highway miles on a fit engine with modern oils can go longer than Grampi did with his '53 Dodge but you won't know without sending a sample off.

RockAuto offers an economical sample mailer kit. Other more expensive testing is available for TBN numbers (remaining life, I believe).

As above, I wouldn't be surprised if you could do 10,000 mile OCIs but you won't KNOW without analysis.
Why would 10k mile oci’s be qualified as drinking the Kool-aid?

I was a tad sloppy with that statement...but only a tad.
People with badly running cars, short trippers and others who have no idea how much their engines dirty-up oil are the ones I IDed as Kool-Aid drinkers.
My assumption (I know) is that there are more people looking at a 10K OCI as a reprieve from maintaining a vehicle. Or that "Long Distance Oils" are preventative mechanics in a can.

We all do know there are many more vehicle abusers out there than thoughtful, scientific BITOGers.
Ignorant slobs fall for claims on labels.

A good engine under the right conditions MIGHT get the 10K, 15K or 25K an oil promises.

My current 2006 Lincoln Town Car Sig Limited has 139K miles, uses no oil, gets an change with CAM2 5W-20 every 8K to 10K miles. Previous 2003 Lincoln Town Car Sig Limited traded at 176K miles, no oil consumption, same OC regimen. Before that was a 1997 Lin Tn Car traded driven 165K, same regimen, same outcome. Each of the three cars at purchase had roughly 60K on the odometers. My CAM2 is no longer available so I'm going to try Mobil-1. Wish me luck~! An extra $20 per OC for a good quality pure 100% synthetic oil is really cheap insurance to prevent engine problems~! I don't know what kind of oil was used in my GF's 2009 Jeep grand Cherokee Ltd, but engine completely self destructed at 55.000 miles and the replacement engine cost came close to $9000.

My current 2006 Lincoln Town Car Sig Limited has 139K miles, uses no oil, gets an change with CAM2 5W-20 every 8K to 10K miles. Previous 2003 Lincoln Town Car Sig Limited traded at 176K miles, no oil consumption, same OC regimen. Before that was a 1997 Lin Tn Car traded driven 165K, same regimen, same outcome. Each of the three cars at purchase had roughly 60K on the odometers. My CAM2 is no longer available so I'm going to try Mobil-1. Wish me luck~! An extra $20 per OC for a good quality pure 100% synthetic oil is really cheap insurance to prevent engine problems~! I don't know what kind of oil was used in my GF's 2009 Jeep grand Cherokee Ltd, but engine completely self destructed at 55.000 miles and the replacement engine cost came close to $9000.

I don't think you need any sort of luck running Mobil 1. You would be hard pressed to find that any modern lubricant caused engine damage if it meets the spec and and is used for the recommended interval.

Switched my grand marquis over to synthetic yesterday at 50 sum thousand miles. This is the car that does almost all freeway driving several hundred miles a day. Been doing Motorcraft at 5 or 6,000 miles. Wanted a full synthetic to see if I could extend that a bit. What do you think is a good oci with Quaker State full synthetic? Thanks!

We had a member that had similar driving habits and did hundreds of thousands of miles with 10,000 mi OCI with a Panther Platform 4.6L using Conventional or Blend. Should be very doable with a decent Synthetic.

Somebody earlier posted this simple equation for formulating a realistic OCI;

crankcase oil capacity x50 x average mpg. For example my 2018 Ford Edge 3.5 holds 6 quarts and gets ~26 average mpg. = 7800 miles OCI. Engine oil life monitor will run to about 10K miles which I think is too far.
*If DI engine , multiply times 0.8 at the end of the math formula.

TooSlick of Dixie Synthetic had one he posted years ago. He had a lot of data from years as an Amsoil dealer to back it up.

oil capacity x avg mpg x power density x (TBN squared x 0.80) for high sulphur gasoline.

I would eliminate the 80% from the equation with ultra low sulphur gasoline. More than likely that's still to conservative. I honestly thinking monitoring TAN makes more sense now that TBN can flatline for many thousands of miles before acid starts to rise. However many people don't want to get a baseline TAN for the lubricant to make it useful.

I'm assuming 6 qt capacity although I'm not positive on the CV.

D2896 = 8.50 for QSFS.

I'm assuming 20 mpg since he said primarily highway.

6 x 20 x 1.1957 x 72.25 = 10,367 mi

Just an example. Use your own numbers.

Last edited:
Back