Quaker State Full Synthetic oil consumption.

Recommended oil change interval for a 2001 Buick is 3,000 miles. Seems like trying to save a few bucks by extending oil change intervals is going to cost you in terms of increased engine wear.
Yep.,had several GM 3800s of that era and fsms said 3000 mile ocisđź‘Ť

1670448157392.png

For his type of highway driving, especially with the advent of SM/SN+/SP oils, the above is more than fine. But if he has a OLM, there were 2 versions for the 01' model year, the one you posted was the more conservative one:

1670448389578.jpg

Last edited:
QSFS 10W30 is a good value synthetic oil containing a good shot of Moly for engine protection from wear . *Oils are better today with most auto makers suggesting 3,750 mile / 6 month severe service (many simply round up to the easy to remember 4,000 mile / 6 month OCI) . *First , I would run the OCI up to 4,000 miles / 6 months (whichever comes first and see how oil consumption is ? Check your PCV valve and if it is in good shape , try Valvoline Advanced 10W30 (a similar higher HTHS oil) , or perhaps Valvoline Advanced 10W30 ? I would also consider trying M1 10W30 High Mileage (extra cleaning agents) in case your rings are experiencing some blow by and need cleaning) ... Just some suggestions .

Hey guys... Thanks for all your posts on this topic! I appreciate your knowledge and advice. (y)

My Buick does indeed have an OLM. At around 3k on the oil, the OLM is showing 50% currently. The car has had a fairly easy life in it's first 15 years as it was garaged and maybe driven 1-2 times per week by a previous family member. Since I have had the car, I've put on roughly 25K miles and have completed numerous repairs. (Intake gaskets, Manifold, plugs and wires, gaskets, flushes, hoses... almost everything including the PVC is new.) The car has been awesome and If I keep it at 65mph I can get 30-32mpg on the highway.

Prior to my ownership, the engine mainly saw two-oil changes and I'm pretty sure it was vanilla PYB or conventional. I've had good luck with Supertech and have never used a high mileage oil in the engine. I'm guessing if I go by the OLM... I'll see maybe 5-6k on the miles for the OCI.

When I had the engine apart for repairs, it was very clean inside. Soooo... I suppose the QSFS is just finding a way out the tailpipe for whatever reason. I'll keep a watch on it.

I may do another run on the Supertech to see if there's consumption. The car has lived 95% of it's life in AZ. At this point, I may limit my OCI's to 5k. I never thought about 3k oil changes because the engine is a 3800 and not a stressed high HP engine. I'm pretty sure most any modern oil is far better that what it was fed 21 years ago!

Anyhow... I appreciate this forum and all of your post guys! Thank you!

Recommended oil change interval for a 2001 Buick is 3,000 miles. Seems like trying to save a few bucks by extending oil change intervals is going to cost you in terms of increased engine wear.
Seems like over maintaining at 3k, especially with his easy regimen. Also, oil quality now is much much better than back in early 00's.

Back