Quaker State Full Synthetic oil consumption.

Just an observation at this point... And perhaps coincidental.

2001 Buick LeSabre with about 65k miles on her. Great condition and well maintained with 7-8K oil and filter change intervals. The last oil change was at roughly 62k miles and went with QSFS 10w-30. (Always have used this grade for the 3800 series engine). No leaks anywhere....

I check my oil every 1,500-2000 miles and never had any oil consumption with the previous fills of Supertech Full Synthetic.

Checked the oil the other day and was a quart low. It's the first time I've noticed any oil consumption. Car is driven every day and mostly highway so nothing has changed there.

I decided to switch to QSFS to save a few bucks... Wondering now if it was worth it...? Perhaps I'll go back to the Supertech and see what happens for the next oil change.

I put QSFS in my 2011 Frontier on the last change for the first time - 5w-30. I am about 3000 miles in to a 5000 mile run, with no noticeable consumption.

Some engines dislike some oils. I had this phenomenon with Castrol in a different vehicle. I would change back to what you know works.
Strange, isn't it? I suppose that's why this forum is so popular... Maybe it's just coincidence, but I'll see what happens the next OCI. Thanks.

Recommended oil change interval for a 2001 Buick is 3,000 miles. Seems like trying to save a few bucks by extending oil change intervals is going to cost you in terms of increased engine wear.
Is it really? 3k? Perhaps that was in the "Jiffy Lube mentality" days.... Oils are much better these days. I usually go by UOA's to determine the OCI. Maybe it's time for one here.

I decided to switch to QSFS to save a few bucks...
First of all, you got a better motor oil and paid less. Shell makes good products, no doubt about it.

Due to changes in surface chemistry (please don't ask me how that works) there can be oil consumption when you switch brands. I switched our 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe from Quaker State Euro 5W-40 to Red Line 5W-30, and in 6800 miles drank nearly a quart of oil. It never consumed oil before. I got 1000 miles since the oil change and it has not consumed a drop of oil.

Don't stress out too much about it (okay, you're on BITOG, you're allowed to stress a little bit, otherwise you wouldn't be here), top off your oil, and enjoy your vehicle. Use the same oil when you change it the next time, and you should be fine.

Quaker State is one of Shell's other Helix lines resold in different packaging. The funny thing is that Quaker State Euro 5W-40 is in fact Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40... the factory fill for Ferrari. You can't judge motor oil by the price tag. Nevertheless, you got higher quality oil than SuperTech, and paid less for it. Well done!

2001 Buick LeSabre with about 65k miles on her. Great condition and well maintained with 7-8K oil and filter change intervals. The last oil change was at roughly 62k miles and went with QSFS 10w-30. (Always have used this grade for the 3800 series engine). No leaks anywhere....

I check my oil every 1,500-2000 miles and never had any oil consumption with the previous fills of Supertech Full Synthetic.

Checked the oil the other day and was a quart low. It's the first time I've noticed any oil consumption. Car is drivenou every day and mostly highway so nothing has changed there.

I decided to switch to QSFS to save a few bucks... Wondering now if it was worth it...? Perhaps I'll go back to the Supertech and see what happens for the next oil change.
Only time I ever used oil was with Quaker State nearly a cup in 400 miles. Well I got real original and Changed out the PCV and I used less than a half a quart in the next 5K miles! Don't waste your time cleaning the PVC their cheap replace it! There is nothing wrong with Quaker State!

My Jeep, for whatever reason, lost more QSUD in a shorter mileage interval than other oils. I thought maybe I misremembered how much I put in because I can't think of a reason how QSUD can cause more oil loss. Or I was nuts. Maybe some cars just like some particular oils, or maybe it's switching from one specific oil to another. It didn't lose any amount out of the ordinary with QSAD.

I remember I made a comment about it last year: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/low-mileage-wrangler-4-0.346353/#post-5899545

Recommended oil change interval for a 2001 Buick is 3,000 miles. Seems like trying to save a few bucks by extending oil change intervals is going to cost you in terms of increased engine wear.
No it isn't, it's 5K-15K with an OLM. The 3800II is one of the easiest engines on oil and I'd run any syn or blend at least 5K...

Checked the oil the other day and was a quart low. It's the first time I've noticed any oil consumption. Car is driven every day and mostly highway so nothing has changed there.

There's a lot of possibilities, but some will go through most of an OCI with a full sump, take an extended trip for the holidays and notice they're down half to 1 qt. A lot of times this in condensation in the oil burning off in extended highway driving and nothing to worry about....

I had a 2003 Buick Lesabre with the 3800 which I bought used with about 79K on the clock. Always would use about a quart of oil in a 5k oil change. Changed the pcv valve and switched to high mileage oil. Mine had a valve cover leak as well. The high mileage oil stopped the leaking and oil consumption dropped off to almost nothing. Sold the car last summer with with the engine seemingly in better shape than when I bought it.

My Honda consumes more oil when I run Pennzoil Platinum which is GTL based. It works fine in the other cars in my signature but they're newer and don't get driven like mine. Rumor has it that Quaker State has some GTL in it too since they're both Shell products. My current fill of Castrol GTX Full Synthetic doesn't burn off and is the "smoothest" running oil I've ever run.

The last time I changed the oil in my SIL’s 2016 Subaru Legacy, she commented that she made the entire OCI this time without having to add any oil. She would normally have to add a quart, but she was only 1/2 a quart low this run.
I always used Pennzoil Platinum when doing it and then switched over to Quaker State Synthetic the last two times.
Coincidence? Possibly. I’ll be interested to see how it goes in the future. It’s possible that she’s having LESS consumption with QS than she had with PP.

These Buicks have GM’s OLM which tell you when to change the oil. Not a problem if using a quality synthetic. The GM 3800 V6 vehicles I had in the past usually triggered for an oil change between 7,000-8,000 miles.

Try swapping in a new PCV valve. FWIW, I always get slight oil consumption with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. No issues with 5W-20, just the 5W-30 consumes. Maybe QSFS 10W-30 uses similar chemistry as PP 5W-30? Don’t listen to me though, I’ve been told I don’t know what I’m talking about 😁.

No it isn't, it's 5K-15K with an OLM. The 3800II is one of the easiest engines on oil and I'd run any syn or blend at least 5K...
Directly from the owners manual https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/servicemanuals/buick/2001-lesabre.pdf

Untitled.jpg

Back