Quaker State Full Synthetic for Advanced Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the synthetic oil offered by the Mazda dealer. Is there any reason that I should choose to not use it and provide my own oil? Is it a Group 3 or Group 4 synthetic? What in the specs gives me this information?

If I were to provide my own oil here are the ones I would likely consider:

(1) Mobil 1 - Is this now a Group 3 oil?
(2) Pennzoil Platinum - Seems to be a favorite on the forum.
(3) Valvoline Synpower - Group 4 & U.S. Company

Give me your opinions and correct any of my "facts" if needed.

Note: We are talking about 5w-30 oils.

Thanks!

p.s. I am tempted to take my oil into the dealership since based on today experience they will likely put 5w-20 in the car because it is listed in their specifications. If I bring in my own oil it will minimize the chance for error.

What is the problem with the spec'ed 5w20?
dunno.gif

Why would you want to run that thick goopy 5w30 when you can run a slick fast flowing 5w20? You are lucky enough to have a vehicle that can use the hottest grade in development and you want to step back a generation?

The Quaker state is fine.

There seems to be a conflict between the owners manual 5w-30 and the dealers info 5w-20. The owners manual is clear that the 5w-20 oil is for the standard 2.3 engine and the 5w-30 is for the 2.3 turbo engine.

Based on some information on the AMSoil site (?) the primary reason for 5w-20 oil is increased fuel economy to lower the manufactures mpg averages.

OK, in that case the owners manual is right. Follow it. Bring your own oil, better yet look into getting your own facilities /equipment to avoid dealership heartache. Like forgetting to refill the oil, It happens.

Quote:

Why would you want to run that thick goopy 5w30 when you can run a slick fast flowing 5w20? You are lucky enough to have a vehicle that can use the hottest grade in development and you want to step back a generation?

tThick and goopy 5w/30 O.k.
grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

tThick and goopy 5w/30 O.k.
grin.gif

LOL, when all else fails use exaggerate adjectives. I learned it from those "benefits of synthetics" advertisements.

Quote:

(1) Mobil 1 - Is this now a Group 3 oil?
(2) Pennzoil Platinum - Seems to be a favorite on the forum.
(3) Valvoline Synpower - Group 4 & U.S. Company

Quaker State is good oil. Just be sure to use the correct oil weight(s).... meaning the ones listed in your owners manual - until your warranty expires.

Is Valvoline Synpower now a majority Group IV? Where did you read that?

Last edited:
Yeah 777, I wondered about the Synpower reference, too. I don't think it's a GIV synthetic...not sure it ever was.

To the OP, I'd use PP of the four synthetics you mentioned, if for no other reason that you can get it for less than the others. Plus it has been giving good UOA's.

Quote:

Quaker State is good oil. Just be sure to use the correct oil weight(s).... meaning the ones listed in your owners manual - until your warranty expires.

Is Valvoline Synpower now a majority Group IV? Where did you read that?

I thought I read it on this site, BUT wasn't positive so I figured I would see if any could validate. I always thought it was a Group 3 and that still seems to be the case.

I read Johnny's comment on QS synth being bottle at the same plant in Houston as PP and wonder how a big bottling facility would manage two basestocks of same type/weight. AND WHY ? PP is Shell Helex Ultra (HXVI) from what I read. QS MAYBE a Conoco GrpIII if it's not the HXVI.

But SO WHAT ? Cost & convenience would be driving me unless I find other reason latter.

You will probably all laugh at me and say I am wasting my money, but here is what I am thinking.

Royal Purple seems to be an excellent oil. Cost isn't a significant factor as it will be about $20 ever 5,000 miles while under warranty. The major benefit is the purple color, I will be able to verify that the dealer used the correct oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back