Quaker State 'Defy'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doc Holiday
It must be a little different than the old QSHM. I was looking at both today as Walley World has the new Defy in gallons but still had the old HM in the quarts. The old HM says SM yet the new Defy says SL......Does that mean it's not as good as the old?

No, the new Defy has boosted ZDDP levels, higher than SM/SN will allow, so it's rated SL, but I would not construe that to think it is inferior. It's a brand new offering, and the boosted ZDDP is a big part of the appeal of this new oil.

I'm going to give this a whirl real soon. My car back specs to SG, so I should be fine.
grin.gif

So is the "Defy" positively different from the high mileage oil that preceded it? If I see the older product on the shelf, pass on it?

Last edited:
"Quaker State says that, prior to 2001, the typical concentration was roughly 1,300 to 1,400 parts per million (ppm) of ZDDP. However, since 2001, modern passenger cars have required oils with lower viscosity to reduce power loss and increase gas mileage, but achieving these lower viscosities with higher concentrations of ZDDP is difficult.

Its Goal: Help Engines "Defy" Time

The product’s tagline is, “Helps higher mileage engines defy time." According to the company, Defy is great for higher-mileage passenger vehicle engines, and will help control the wear that high-mileage engines typically endure. In fact, the new Quaker State Defy motor oil is said to prevent up to 98 percent of future wear through the use of the proprietary ZDDP additive.

Defy also is designed to help high-mileage engines perform more efficiently through the use of additional seal swell additive that reconditions dried-up seals and help control external and internal leaks.

The motor oil is said to provide a thicker viscosity and stronger oil film to resist thermal breakdown and reduce oil volatility and burn-off, which should help increase compression and reduce blow-by. Blow-by happens when the explosion that occurs in your engine's combustion chamber forces fuel, air, and moisture past the rings into the crankcase."

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
No discernable difference so far.

stop by my walmart today, I dont see any defy, just bunch of old qs hm bottle. Imma wait to see UOA or know exactly spec zddp on these oil.

I finally ran across some 10W-30 Defy at my local WM. It'll replace the current fill, Mobil Super5000, in July: I want to see if it'll help with my (really pretty minor) oil consumption without killing my gas mileage.

If you at walmart and look for QS defy, but only see old QS high miles, try look in the back of those, mostly likely you will find the defy behind those bottle. that is where I found mine, did 2 week seafoam with fresh QS defy, oil came out dark as night, drain it and put in fresh QS defy, car sound alot better and healthy
smile.gif

For those of us in Canada, I finally came across Defy at Canadian Tire tonight. Price was basically the same as other high mileage oils - no special to introduce the product. It's in the red bottle, same as QSED, with a Defy label. Bar codes are the same as the QSED.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
If that VOA is accurate we've been had!

I'm not so sure about that, even if the VOA is accurate. First off, we "remember" the high ZDDP oils of over twenty years ago, when that wasn't always the case. I would prefer to see confirmation of that ZDDP level from another lab. Or, SOPUS could get their stuff together and start posting that on the PDS. Imperial Oil has no problem doing that for a pile of HDEOs, because customers of that oil may be interested in that statistic. I would assume that if Defy is marketed as ZDDP fortified, SOPUS should assume their customers are interested in that statistic, too.

Aside from that, there are a lot of little indicators poking around that Defy is just a rebranding or retargetting of QSED. Considering that the price has stayed the same up here and there have been all kinds of sales and rebates in the States, I find it difficult to see how we've been "had."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back