Quaker State 5/30 Synthetic upgraded

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just at the Quaker State site and saw the 5/30 PAO synthetic oil is now ACEA A3/B3 - 98 rated . This is an oil hard to find in a over the counter 10/30 much less a 5/30 grade . Looks like their stepping up ! MSDS is dated 10/03 so it's current.

While there I noticed a new 5/50 PAO synthetic that I had not heard about that should by all accounts give the Syntec 5/50 some competition and a 5/20 PAO that I'm anxious in a oil nut kind of way
wink.gif
to see a UOA of in a Honda car .

Is anyone here using the 5/30 or 10/30 QS Synthetic ?

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/QuakerState/EngineOils/pdf/FullSyntheticMotorOil.PDF

I saw a nice UOA of the 10/30 in the analysis section although there was not many replies.

[ November 28, 2003, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Just out of curiosity, what did you find from the posted link that lead you to believe that this oil is PAO basestock?

EDIT: Wow - I just researched the MSDS for the Quaker State and it sure is a PAO basestock. Now I can add another product to my OTC synthetic choices.

[ November 28, 2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: FowVay ]

Using the 10w30 QS Full Synthetic right now. No problems with cold start clatter(and we had a couple of really cold nights already).
Have one quart of 5w30QS and just received my BlackstoneLabs free test collecting kit(only took 4 days from request to POBox delivery).
I also have a quart of 10w40Mobil1 motorcycle oil that needs to be VOA'd. Not sure yet if the mx4t or QS will be out in the mail next week for VOAing.

I haven't seen the 5w20 or even the 5w40 Euro synthetics. But megalomart and pepzones usually carry the QSFS 30wt and 50wt oils all the time. At $4 a quart, its now cheaper than Mobil1 since the 'mart price increase.

The previous two(last year and this summer) QS MSDSs list PAO as the oil.
Sibling Pennzoil doesn't have groupIII Perfomax at any stores anymore. But, they have a new truck/suv/minivan formula for you mineral oil users:p

MSDSs
http://www.pzlqs.com/MSDS/014/014953.pdf
http://www.pzlqs.com/MSDS/024/024402.pdf

Euro tech sheet:
http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/QuakerState/EngineOils/pdf/FullSyntheticEuropeanFormulation.pdf

I don't see how it's possible for Quaker State's 5w30 to qualify for ACEA A3 if it's only 10.5cst at 100c, as it can't possibly have an HTHS of 3.5 or more with it being that thin.

Guys,
All I saw was 1-Decene hydroginated something something.....where does it say PAO?

quote:

Originally posted by Christopher Jefferson:
1-Decene IS PAO. its the scientific way of saying PolyAlphaOlefin

Of saying AlphaOlefin..
wink.gif

The Poly comes in, when you combine many olefins into one laregr molecule.

Fred...
smile.gif

I think its kinda neat it lists the various components like that.
I wish we had that for other oils so we could compare better.

I guess the 5w-50 will be the higehr %age range of
VII"S and PPD's.

Fred...
smile.gif

By the way, has anyone spotted this oil yet? The 5w30 synthetic QS oil I saw at Walmart yesterday was definitely not this new stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I don't see how it's possible for Quaker State's 5w30 to qualify for ACEA A3 if it's only 10.5cst at 100c, as it can't possibly have an HTHS of 3.5 or more with it being that thin.

I guess a modern 10.5 cSt formulation can because Citgo has a new synthetic 10/30 that has a HTHS rating of 3.5 ..will post a new thread on it.

Patman,

The thinnest xw-30 oil that will qualify for the ACEA A3/B4 rating will be approx 11.0 Cst @ 100C. What QS may mean is that their formulation meets the PERFORMANCE requirements of ACEA A3 in terms of wear, deposits, shear stability, etc.

The last batch of Amsoil 0w-30 I saw tested was 11.2 Cst @ 100C and came in @ 3.4 Cp. Keep in mind that data sheets show 'typical technical properties" and do not represent a specification that cannot be slightly altered from batch to batch.

The VW 505.01, Castrol 5w-40 I tested several weeks back showed a vis of 14.4 Cst on their data sheet - but tested out to only 13.7 Cst. So the actual batch of oil you test can and will vary from the data sheet.

Ted

HTHS is one area which has me confused. I know it's mostly related to viscosity, but what else can make one oil have a higher HTHS than another?

For instance, why does Mobil 1's 0w40 only have an HTHS of 3.6 when it's viscosity is over 14cst, while many oils that are around 12cst have HTHS numbers like this. And also, many 10w40 dino oils have higher HTHS values than M1 0w40, even if they are around the same viscosity.

Patman ,

I beleive the the ACEA spec of A3 needing a "minimum" HT/HS of 3.5 is a misconception .

A3 is a stay in grade low vi oil spec with a " maximum " HTHS of 3.5 allowed . If a higher HT/HS was allowed then enter 40wts ..but that would go beyond the " low viscosity oil " allowance of ACEA A3.
Since motor oils are formulated in many centistrokes I believe the ACEA found a way to put a limit on the vi with the maximum of 3.5 or so it appears when looking at :

Column , Laboratory Tests

1.3 Ravenfield

Take a look and see if you or others here agree .

http://www.acea.be/ACEA/20020618PublicationsOilSequences.pdf

[ November 30, 2003, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Wide range, 0w-40/5w-50 synthetics contain more polymer and they all suffer this temporary shearing effect I've mentioned previously. A 10w-40/15w-40 is always going to be more shear stable than a 0w-40, since it uses a higher molecular base oil and doesn't depend as much on these VI modifiers.

For example, the Amsoil 15w-40 is a 14.2 Cst oil with a HT/HS of 4.2 Cp ...their 10w-40 is a 14.55 Cst oil, also with a HT/HS of 4.2 Cp ...their 0w-40 is a 14.4 Cst oil with a HT/HS of only about 3.8 Cp.

There is simply no way to make a 0w-40 behave like a 10w-40 or 15w-40 in this respect ....

TS

Also on the ACEA site it states in 1.1 that:

"Viscosity grades no restriction except as defined by shear stability and HT/HS requirements"

As an aside,

When Chevron/Phillips starts getting their new midgrade PAO out to the blenders in 2004 I beleive we'll see some very shear stable primarily PAO 0/40's made in USA formulations without as much VII's in them .

[ November 30, 2003, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Did anyone bother reading the spec sheet?

30wts---ACEA A3-98/B3-98 TEST PROTECTION STANDARDS
The 30wts do not meet all the ACEA requirements; just the protection standards
dunno.gif

50wt---ACEA A3-98/B3-98 --I'm assuming all requirements here.

Whats the difference between '98 '00 '01..... ACEA A/B spes??

98 to 00 to 01 ACEA specs they were all made a bit tougher in some areas, which is why its more common to see an oil meet "ACEA A3-98 " rather than ACEA A3-00".

I do not know the exact nature of the "toughening" of that standard tho and wont speculate (even tho its tempting and perhaps even correct)

Fred...
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back