QSUD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fscarano
I don't drive a turbo. My engine is the 2.4 Hyundai Sonata.

I have the same engine and I am switching to Mobil1 on the next change. Again....it comes down to availability for me.

Originally Posted By: geekster

I have the same engine and I am switching to Mobil1 on the next change. Again....it comes down to availability for me.

Are you switching to M1 EP?

Originally Posted By: geekster

Are you switching to M1 EP?

Nope. Just the vanilla Mobil1.

I should also say that I could easily run conventional with my oil change interval. I choose to use synthetic, I buy the jugs at wally, because the price is so cheap and to me the price difference is negligible.

I think it depends on the interval you are going for. Maybe wemay can chime in. I follow a shorter interval because of how far and how I drive. I also have fuel dilution from the GDI. I follow the severe oil change schedule on my car.

My OCI will be at 7500 miles. I do mostly Highway driving.

Oh, what oil are you switching from and why?

Last edited:
I have a short-ish drive of 10 miles each way. No true highway for me. I have a stretch of road that is a tad over 6 miles that is flat, straight, 65mph, and no stop signs or lights. I honestly don't know if my oil get up to temp or not? I doubt it.

I am currently using PP. I am doing an oil change this weekend. I went in to get my usual jug and my local Wally was out of the Pennzoil. I went to the next closest Wally and the same thing happened. I just purchased the Mobil 1 instead. It was on the shelf at both stores. Seems to be the story for me around here. Mobil is everywhere. You can find it at any Wally, Sam's Club, O'Reilly, NAPA, AZ, AAP, and even Pep Boys. I will take convenience, good price, and a high quality product every time. Mobil 1 it is.

If most synthetics are hydrocracked petroleum based oils. Whats the difference between hydrocracked Syn and dino? Are they not the same?

If most synthetics are hydrocracked petroleum based oils. Whats the difference between hydrocracked Syn and dino? Are they not the same?

No, not exactly the same but the gap between conventional and group III has closed quite a bit since SN. Group III is altered to create similar sized molecules and flows easier during colder temperatures as well as supposedly holding up better under heat and longevity which means less deposits for extended OCI runs as well as lower volatility. I choose to run group III over conventional for better flow more than anything else but it wouldn't bother me one bit to stick PYB in my Ram 3.6L. My truck recommends 5w-20 (go figure), QSUD in the 20w's has a heavy dose of the friction modifier Moly, which in my opinion can offset any lubrication difference between 20 and 30w oil, but it may not really matter in the real world. 30w QSUD has the standard amount in it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back