QS green bottle vs PYB

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I grabbed a jug of QS "Advanced Durability" in 5w20 today and thought I'd give it the ol sniff test vs PYB... results? Not even close. The QS stinks of sulfur, while the PYB smells like PP...clean/sweet. I refuse to chalk it up to differences in additives alone. Are they using another base oil, perhaps one originating from Korea? Actually the QS smells not unlike the oil that was inside a busted oil heater... that was made in China. Almost a little more sulfury than an old SL Havoline. What gives?

According to tests performed in February 2010 by PQIA, there is only very slightly less sulfur in PPM in PYB (3901) versus QSAD (4053).

Perhaps SOPUS changed the formula in QSAD?

IDK that is interesting though. It smells quite like asphalt TBH. Maybe the human olfactory sense is just *really* sensitive to sulfur

Originally Posted By: OceanDoctor
IDK that is interesting though. It smells quite like asphalt TBH. Maybe the human olfactory sense is just *really* sensitive to sulfur

That`s definitely the way both QS and PYB smell. I bet it`s the same oil in both bottles. It`s also the same color too.

I used QSGB as a 3k mile cleaning cycle in my Celica that I bought back in June with 118k miles on it. On QS, the engine was very loud and shakey, even idling at a stop light. After I drained that out and put in PYB (also using now as cleaning cycle), the engine is so much more smooth and quiet. The tremors/shaking at stop lights are pretty much non-existent.

I also had the exact same experience with QSGB years ago in my Corsica. Exact same thing happened when I switched it out for Valvoline.

Based on those two experiences, I will never use QS oil again. Just seems like my vehicles doesn't agree with it. Guess there's a reason why it's "cheaper" than the other name brands.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eosyn
I used QSGB as a 3k mile cleaning cycle in my Celica that I bought back in June with 118k miles on it. On QS, the engine was very loud and shakey, even idling at a stop light. After I drained that out and put in PYB (also using now as cleaning cycle), the engine is so much more smooth and quiet. The tremors/shaking at stop lights are pretty much non-existent.

I also had the exact same experience with QSGB years ago in my Corsica. Exact same thing happened when I switched it out for Valvoline.

Based on those two experiences, I will never use QS oil again. Just seems like my vehicles doesn't agree with it. Guess there's a reason why it's "cheaper" than the other name brands.

C'mon...I will bet money on this, do you really think there's such a big difference between QS & PYB that shakes and rattles are the results ?
sleep.gif

^ agreed

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

That`s definitely the way both QS and PYB smell. I bet it`s the same oil in both bottles. It`s also the same color too.

Maybe there's a big difference b/w CDN adn US oils? PYB 5w20 round here smells a lot like PP. The QS smells far diff. than either. It's interesting how the products were marketed, PYB is all about cleaning ability and cleanliness, the closest thing to 'clean' on the QS bottle the advisory wash your hands with 'soap and water after handling' The QS gig is protection and viscosity retention.

Anyway, its getting installed in 10 minutes :woot:

Originally Posted By: FastGame

C'mon...I will bet money on this, do you really think there's such a big difference between QS & PYB that shakes and rattles are the results ?
sleep.gif

It also fixed few scratches and dents!

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Johnny says the only difference is a little better add-pack in PYB.

I prefer spending a dollar or two more on PYB.

not to change the subject but where has johnny been anyway???

yea so, I have used GB and PYB and my car always shook and rattled, then went to Valvoline and boy does it run good.

Whelp, the qs is installed with a dollop of moslip MODTC (not the mos2) and all seems to be well... runs smooth, cold piston slap supressed. All in all not too bad

perhaps one originating from Korea?

What stereotype of Korean products are you implying here? Just curious.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 08sienna
perhaps one originating from Korea?

What stereotype of Korean products are you implying here? Just curious.

I had read that a lot of base oils were coming from Korea ie S-K oil

Originally Posted By: FastGame

sleep.gif

Yes, I do. I can't explain it but those are my two experiences with QSGB and I'm not happy with them. It can say whatever it wants on paper, but experience counts much more to me than what is printed on "paper," especially when I'm spending money on it. The two times I used QSGB, my vehicles ran differently and not for the better. To be honest, my Corsica from years ago ran better on SuperTech than it did on QSGB. Those were my experiences, just sayin.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nooil
yea so, I have used GB and PYB and my car always shook and rattled, then went to Valvoline and boy does it run good.

I experienced that when I went from QSGB to VWB also, that's why I stayed with valvoline for the past 10 yrs until I started reading on this forum. . . then decided to give PYB a try after QSGB and exact same thing happened. I'm tellin ya, my experiences with QSGB are really bad.

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Johnny says the only difference is a little better add-pack in PYB.

I prefer spending a dollar or two more on PYB.

not to change the subject but where has johnny been anyway???

Spending more time with family and other interests right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back