Q. re: air filter replacement procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi -- After about 22k miles, it's time to swap out the air filter on my 09 Honda Fit Sport. After hearing good things about the NAPA Gold version, I decided to splurge and pick one up to replace the current Fram Extra Guard that is in there now.

Is it recommended, suggested or even advisable that I should attempt to clean out the air box after removing the old filter? It's not too dirty but there is some dust, etc. in there. I can even remove the entire top part if washing it then letting it dry completely would be a good thing to do. If not, I was thinking of wiping the entire interior of the air box with wet wipes or a damp microfiber cloth.

What do you think - overkill, a good idea or avoid?

Thanks for all suggestions and input.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Why so soon?

Is 22k miles too soon to change? It came up as required service on my Honda Maintenance Minder.

Checked it out, looked a little dirty, figured it was time to change. Should I not change it now?

I didn't change mine (07 fit) air filter until approx. 49k

Not a whole lot of perceivable improvements with new air filter.

Oh and BTW: in case you wonder: with the new wide-band computer controlling EFI engines, unless air filter is extremely restrictive, otherwise: engine management control is more than capable to adjust to the air filter's flow with appropriate A/F ratio.

and I bought a whole bunch (bulk purchase, made in China) of Fram yellow filters, works good so far.

Q.

Yeah probably too soon, but once you removed it to inspect it i would replace it since you comprimised the gasket seal.

If you want to get the cleanest air into your engine, and make your filters last as long as they should, get a filter minder and install it with the new air filter.

http://www.knfilters.com/filterminder.htm

Air filters gain efficiency as they age, so the filter will catch more dirt as the filter loads, so longer is better unless the gasket is drying out.

If you have a vaccuum handy, I just give it a quick vaccuum. Don't bother with taking the car apart.

But it's a moot point. If you already went through the trouble of peeking, you should have just replaced the filter and called it a day. Maybe just do it next time.

Newer designed cars such as the Fit use the intake ducting to separate most of the large particles of dirt out; plus the upside down mounting lead to much longer filter life spans.

I vacuum and wipe with a damp rag as needed. 22K isn't too soon to change.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
I vacuum and wipe with a damp rag as needed. 22K isn't too soon to change.

*** Agree. I do the same. Damp rag to get the dust and replace. I know many will gasp but I replace my air filters every two years.

YMMV

JP

Personally, I would clean it out. But most are probably not as anal...er...scrupulous as I am
crazy.gif

I didn't change my factory Corolla filter out until 120K km or 75K miles. I could have gone much longer, but I was looking more at the age of the filter being 4+ years.

I vacuumed out the air box just for a clean start although it would probably get dusty again after a week of use.

I'm at 85k miles on my S2000 air filter and I will change it out at the end of 5 years if my filter-minder still doesn't show enough vacuum from the air filter.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back