PYB vs Kendall GT1 Max

I like synthetics, but it just seems that PYB has great reviews here, plus I have used it in the past and it worked pretty well. I have no experience with the Kendall, but it as well, has good reviews here.
Now, when you say PYB, are you talking about the old conventional oil? Or are you talking about the newer Pennz Platinum oil? Because PYB is traditionally the older conventional oil whereas Kendall GT-1 Max is a full synthetic oil. If you're talking about the conventional oil, then there's no question at all whether you should use it vs. the Kendall. If you're talking the newer Pennz Plat, I still vote the Kendall.

Now, when you say PYB, are you talking about the old conventional oil? Or are you talking about the newer Pennz Platinum oil? Because PYB is traditionally the older conventional oil whereas Kendall GT-1 Max is a full synthetic oil. If you're talking about the conventional oil, then there's no question at all whether you should use it vs. the Kendall. If you're talking the newer Pennz Plat, I still vote the Kendall.
I'm talking about the old, conventional in the yellow bottle.

$_35.jpg

Out of curiosity, why are you comparing a conventional oil to a full synthetic oil?

also, what vehicle would this be used in?
Not necessarily comparing conventional to synthetic, more like 2 different brands that I do/do not have experience with.

So here's the run down. Ford 4.6 2v, mostly stock. It has some piston slap for the first 1-2 minutes on a cold start (its not the filters adv, I use MC FL280s and Frams XG2). In my quest to quiet the piston slap, I started trying different brands and weights of oils. I tried the PYB 10w30 (bought it in Home Depot for $3/qt of all places). It pretty much eliminated the cold Start piston slap, but, it did make the car feel a little lethargic on the fwy. So far, here are the oils I've tried that did nothing (the PYB was the only 10w30 I've tried tho).
M1 HM 5w30 & 20
M1 EP 5w30 & 20
Redline 5w20
Pennzoil HM 5w30
PP 5w20 & 30
Royal Purple ASI 5w20
Motorcraft synthetic 5w30 & 20
Amsoil SS 5w30

I've tried these oil with and without Lubegard Biotech and MOS2. Nothing has worked so far, except for the PYB (but it was also the only 10w30 I've tried).

I was thinking maybe the Kendall in a 10w30 would eliminate the piston slap, but not make the car as lethargic. I'm tired of ordering oils, I always seem to get a broken or spilled bottles. The Kendall and PYB are both local to me and the price difference is miniscule.

Almost forgot to ad. Lots of short trips and idling, so I guess it would fall under severe service. Short trips (5 miles or less) during the week, and 200 miles every weekend on the freeway.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
How long have you been fighting this problem. I see 12 different oils listed on the ones you tried. at 5K OCI (just a guess) thats 60,000 miles.

After trying the kendall. pick the one you like and go with it. PYB for 4-5K OCI and Kendall for longer OCI. The thing a bout a conventional is it will shear down more over the OCI than conventional so while fresh it may feel slugish then "settle in" as the OCI progressis. How long did your run the PYB?

In my experience, oils that made my truck quieter but also sluggish was Castol Magentec. quieter but not as slugish was Quaker State Ultimate Durability.

How long have you been fighting this problem. I see 12 different oils listed on the ones you tried. at 5K OCI (just a guess) thats 60,000 miles.

After trying the kendall. pick the one you like and go with it. PYB for 4-5K OCI and Kendall for longer OCI. The thing a bout a conventional is it will shear down more over the OCI than conventional so while fresh it may feel slugish then "settle in" as the OCI progressis. How long did your run the PYB?

In my experience, oils that made my truck quieter but also sluggish was Castol Magentec. quieter but not as slugish was Quaker State Ultimate Durability.
No, it wasn't over 60k miles. I could never wait that long. Some of those oils didn't even stay in my car 500 miles. Lol. I know that some need time to work, but when I put the PYB in, it quieted everything down immediately. I ran that oil for about 1500 miles (it was sluggish the whole time), and switched to the Redline (which is what is in there now, about 800 miles) and it's the noisiest of them all, but does rev quick and smooth. I'm going to try the Kendall, if that doesn't work, then I'm just going to stick with the PYB.

Last edited:
It used to but not anymore with SP/GF6.
It doesn't have the titanium anymore? What is their "Liquitek" stuff then? Is the Castrol the only oil with the Titanium? Which is better, Titanium, or moly? So many questions! Lol.
I'm going to start going down a rabbit hole again. Hahahahha

Back