PYB new bottle or??

Haven’t bought PYB in awhile. From what I remember, I thought the bottle said “conventional”. I went to my local Walmart to get 6 quarts of 5w30 for my Jeep 4.0 this morning and all the bottles said synthetic blend. Is this a new bottle/formula or what? I bought the cheapest, plainest looking PYB they had so I assume I got the right stuff lol

Was it Pennzoil Gold? If so, that is a blend. Regular/conventional PYB is no longer available in 5W-30 grade, according to their website.

NWMDC

It’s Pennzoils new SP formula and label. Actually not even sure how much of the formula Is actually new or if it’s just a label change to align with the new SP standard, but it’s the same stuff just now labeling a blend. Same situation with Valvoline “conventional“ etc. I love the pennzoil gold blend but I haven’t seen it on a store shelf in a long while sadly, always have to order it for pickup at Walmart and at $24 for a 5qt jug not sure why I would Lol!

Anyway you got the right stuff!

5321338C-19F5-4764-97A5-C0F7B54CD41E.jpeg

This was the exact jug. It confused me. I’m sure it will be just as good. I just wasn’t sure if they switched the formula or what. It gets cold here during the winter so I’m opting for the 5w30. Thanks for the info. Didn’t know they discontinued 5w30 in the conventional.

( for the most part) conventional oils under 10w30 no longer exist. Now look on Amazon for reviews from disgruntled customers complaining that phony oil was substituted.

Those reviews are some of my favorites Lol! But the ones that refuse to put synthetic in their motors because it’s “not natural” take the cake for me 😂

View attachment 29312
This was the exact jug. It confused me. I’m sure it will be just as good. I just wasn’t sure if they switched the formula or what. It gets cold here during the winter so I’m opting for the 5w30. Thanks for the info. Didn’t know they discontinued 5w30 in the conventional.

Conventionals (especially 0w20, 5w20) have really been blends for quite a while now, it just wasn't reflected on the label. So to see them changing the labels now is not surprising.

Have to wonder how much the exclusive motor oil bottles add to cost.
Recently purchased/used gear oil:
Delo (2 types), Delvac 1, Mobil 1, and Valvoline … Same bottles !

For those of you living under rocks, the Pennzoil Gold is a syn-blend designed to meet Dexo's requirements while maintaining a bit more of a competitive price point at quickie lubes like Iffy than Platinum or rival full syns.

It was a Walmart along with the Quaker State equivalent a few years back but I haven't seen it in a while on a shelf...

For those of you living under rocks, the Pennzoil Gold is a syn-blend designed to meet Dexo's requirements while maintaining a bit more of a competitive price point at quickie lubes like Iffy than Platinum or rival full syns.

It was a Walmart along with the Quaker State equivalent a few years back but I haven't seen it in a while on a shelf...
Not at Walmart … but got a six gallon box of PG 0w20 from eBay
A brand new JL put the PG 5w30 in one of my cars early this year

I haven’t seen it either it’s a shame all these conventionals are going away. I haven’t seen Pennzoil Gold in a very long time either my Walmart doesn’t sell it. I never shop at the auto parts store for oil because it’s too expensive so I rarely look at it while I’m there so they might have the gold there.

All the brands still market Conventional oil, it's their 10W-30 and 10W-40 grades.

Edit: ...and above. (For traditionally Conventional oil products like PYB, VWB, GTX etc.)

Last edited:
I haven’t seen it either it’s a shame all these conventionals are going away.
I don't see any problem with it, just means we're getting higher quality oil for the same price, conventional has been mostly made using hydrocracked base stocks for years now so I guess you could say it's been "semi-synthetic" for a number of years now just with SP/GF-6A they're using even more severely hydrocracked base oils in the conventional market segement to the point that they actually call it synthetic blend.

I don't see any problem with it, just means we're getting higher quality oil for the same price, conventional has been mostly made using hydrocracked base stocks for years now so I guess you could say it's been "semi-synthetic" for a number of years now just with SP/GF-6A they're using even more severely hydrocracked base oils in the conventional market segement to the point that they actually call it synthetic blend.
Thanks for that information I was unaware of that. I’ve always been a fan of conventional oils myself. I wonder if my Walmart will get any of this Pennzoil Gold they have the QS Gold label one not sure if it’s the same.

Back