PYB in a 2010 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this shows how many of us have become conditioned to think only synthetic is good oil. I have a friend who has a beautiful 2010 Mustang GT of which he takes very good care. He changes his own oil and enjoys working on the car. I asked him tonight what oil he uses, expecting him to say M1 or Castrol Edge or PP.

You fellows can imagine my surprise when he said he always uses "just regular Pennzoil in the yellow bottle." He reports it runs just great on that oil with no issues.

It's just strange that even I've become accustomed to thinking now that cars require full synthetic to have a chance of making it to 100,000 miles.

PYB meets the Ford spec for that vehicle. I'd use it or similar if Platinum wasn't the same price or less, with rebates.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CrackyWainwright
It's just strange that even I've become accustomed to thinking now that cars require full synthetic to have a chance of making it to 100,000 miles.

Some new vehicles require synthetic, but many late model cars will easily make it to 100k on conventional with regular maintenance.

PYB has always been a good oil...
I have used it for years and years the only reason i don't use it all the time now is i prefer an oil that has a safety seal underneath the cap to prevent tampering and leaks.

I have a buddy with 90s V6 firebird that he bought new after the Gulf War..he drove it all over the US a few times and has over 400000 miles on it changing his own oil with pennzoil 5w30 every 6000 miles. we did valve cover gaskets on it a few years ago and except for a little varnish it looked new.

I don't think I've read of anyone on bitog negating conventional oil's ability to reach 100K miles. But I completely understand your point. PYB, MS5K, GTX, QSGB, VWB... all can do the same for any vehicle which doesn't require synthetic. People just get caught up in...

'I want what's best for my engine'
'Oil is cheap, engines are not'
'I want my engine to be spotless with no varnish'
'because bitogers should be about the highest quality product'

On and on.

I guess this shows how many of us have become conditioned to think only synthetic is good oil. I have a friend who has a beautiful 2010 Mustang GT of which he takes very good care. He changes his own oil and enjoys working on the car. I asked him tonight what oil he uses, expecting him to say M1 or Castrol Edge or PP.

You fellows can imagine my surprise when he said he always uses "just regular Pennzoil in the yellow bottle." He reports it runs just great on that oil with no issues.

Did you forget an extra zero in your miles goal? Both my older Toyotas made it to 200k miles on JiffyLube oil and filters.

It's more important to change the oil than worry about what oil is used.

Besides...what does "synthetic" mean? We know so little about oil from a 25$ test.

other than long runs there is zero evidence so called syn out performs conventional of the same spec

My just sold 1994 Lexus LS400 with 370+k miles had dino with 6mo/7-10k miles OCI, and some synthetic with 12mo/15-20k miles OCI since new.

Yes, dino can keep an engine running for more than 200-300k miles without problem, the engine never had any work other than timing belt and spark plugs.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Engines have been going 200K-400K on conventional oil for a LONG time now....

+1

If Mr. GT is using PYB 5W20 or 10W30, those oils have otherworldly specs considering they are conventional (or are they???).
The 3.5l V6 in my RAV4 mostly saw conventional and was still solid at 160,000 miles, but I did notice that super cold starts (pushing -30C) were better with full or part synth.
I use full synth in my FXT because it is a turbo and Subaru recommends it, just seems to make sense for that particular vehicle. I'm sure most NA engines will always be happy as clams on conventional.

I have an 06 GT when i bought the car the guy told me he had the oil changed at Ford dealer since he bought it. I drove it for maybe 300- 400 miles with motocraft oil and changed to Pennzoil 5w 20 for winter. The engine was smoother and and less noisy with Pennzoil syn....even my wife could tell the diff.... In fact today im going to summer mode since its in in the mid 80's already and using 5w30 Mobil 1 since Costco had such a good sale on it.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
If Mr. GT is using PYB 5W20 or 10W30, those oils have otherworldly specs considering they are conventional (or are they???).
The 3.5l V6 in my RAV4 mostly saw conventional and was still solid at 160,000 miles, but I did notice that super cold starts (pushing -30C) were better with full or part synth.
I use full synth in my FXT because it is a turbo and Subaru recommends it, just seems to make sense for that particular vehicle. I'm sure most NA engines will always be happy as clams on conventional.

Soooo, was the Rav4 quicker than your Forester XT?
smile.gif

I have a V6 Rav4 and it's a definitely a fun vehicle with a solid drive train.

Originally Posted By: jdavis

Soooo, was the Rav4 quicker than your Forester XT?
smile.gif

I have a V6 Rav4 and it's a definitely a fun vehicle with a solid drive train.

Hard to say because they behave so differently!
The RAV4 just JUMPED off the line and, I think, felt quicker because of that. I totally enjoyed that vehicle from the get go.
The FXT has a bit of a delay which is supposed to be due more the CVT than the turbo, and I had to learn little tricks like popping the downshift lever (even in auto) and turning off the traction control when I really want it to respond. Once it gets going, it just plain rolls. It can be deceptive because it is so smooth...I have to merge 2 lanes down to 1 right after a light on my way home from work and decided to stretch it out just after I bought it. I had the impression that the FXT didn't respond that well, but looked down to find I was doing 80 in a 40 zone right after the merge...aaahhh!!! You don't even notice the auto CVT working, and manual mode paddle shifting is too slow to be of much use in 0-60 type dashes.
There are a few areas in which the FXT clearly feels better than the "RAV6" did...the Yo always seemed sluggish to me around 50mph, like it couldn't find the right gear when I wanted it to jump. No such dead spot with the FXT. I also have a long hill climb out of my neighborhood right after a stop sign, and, again, the RAV4 just seemed like it couldn't find the right gear to get up that hill in a hurry if I really wanted to get going. The FXT climbs it like a goat no matter what.

I think the published 0-60 times are a bit faster with the FXT, 6.2-6.4 secs compared to something like 6.6 for the RAV4 IIRC, but there are a lot of shenanigans involved in getting those...brake boosting, trac off, funny games with the manual/auto shifting. Seemed like you just stood on the RAV4 and it went, although I really wished that it had the manual shifting option like my wife's Avalon to play with.
I may have bought another RAV4 if they had kept the V6 option, but I was not enamored of the AWD system and I had an expensive repair on it. Did not want to shell out for the heavier RX350 and the local Acura dealer just plain messed with me when I went to buy an RDX (also with weak AWD). BMW X1 and the Infiniti QX50 were too small. The RAV4 was more fun for me, but the FXT probably really suits my needs better.

A friend who has a Supercharged '01 Lightning that he bought new only uses conventional 5W-30 Valvoline, has around 135K mi of heavy footed driving without any engine issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back