PYB cleans up to 15%...what about the others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If PYB cleans up to 15%, do the other conventional brands clean up around 10% or so?

And If Pennz Ultra cleans up to 35%, do the other synthetics clean up to around 20-30%?

Last edited:
Pennzoil claims ultra cleans up to 35% more than PP, which I believe claims to clean up to 46%.

Very important to note the term "up to" in both statements, and the fact that it's a marketing phrase being used in conjunction with a previous market phrase

Considering the state the world is right now,this reminds me of the sitcom in the mid 70 around 75-76 called Mary Hartman and her yellow wax build up on her floor. The actress was the very funny Louise Lasser. We all want a clean engine just like she wanted her kitchen floor to be. Might be a good time to take a very deep breath.
34.gif

I got this info off mobil's website

Mobil Clean 5000, you’ll get 16 percent more cleaning agents than our conventional oil.

Andy

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Andyge

Mobil Clean 5000, you’ll get 16 percent more cleaning agents than our conventional oil.

Andy

Mobil Clean 5000 is their conventional oil, is it not?

This is a good question. Possibly since PU was compared to PP with the additional cleaning, maybe the 15% PYB is in comparison previous to the yellow bottle.

I have had great luck with clean engines with PYB for several years.
02.gif

Originally Posted By: sicko
Pennzoil claims ultra cleans up to 35% more than PP, which I believe claims to clean up to 46%.

Very important to note the term "up to" in both statements, and the fact that it's a marketing phrase being used in conjunction with a previous market phrase

If you read closely on the PU bottle, they never say 35% more than PP. They say something like their "next best" oil etc. That essentially leaves them with an open "hole" for percentage claims. It's all marketing. So... I couldn't agree more. 35% of an "unknown" is 35% of ???

It's PP on steroids! I hope an independent Lab will test some of these oils and wouldn't it be great to actually see the real percentages?

Originally Posted By: JGmazda
Originally Posted By: sicko

If you read closely on the PU bottle, they never say 35% more than PP. They say something like their "next best" oil etc. That essentially leaves them with an open "hole" for percentage claims. It's all marketing. So... I couldn't agree more. 35% of an "unknown" is 35% of ???

It's PP on steroids! I hope an independent Lab will test some of these oils and wouldn't it be great to actually see the real percentages?

The specifically mention Platinum in some of their literature.

Quick question, Which would you prefer,a camshaft with galling,but clean or one that shows little wear and has some varnish??? Remember labor cost is $105 per hour. Clean is really a marketing point quite overblown when it come to what is important. But if it makes you sleep at night: you know what I mean.
34.gif

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
Originally Posted By: Andyge

Andy

Mobil Clean 5000 is their conventional oil, is it not?

Mobil Clean (no thousands) or exxon superflo are the base by which they compare. Mobil clean is only available in bulk. Despite the percentage increase in chemistry they aren't claiming it actually cleans junk measurably like, as I take it, PZ does.

Greetings all,

Are we officially into overkill yet? My old Dodge Caravan 3.3 V-6, using cheap Castrol, went 250,000 miles until the body melted away. If I use the new Super Duper Unobtanium Oil it would have gone forever. No wait, the body still would have rusted out.

Just to add fuel to this fire, I think Castrol GTX oil would clean better than other convetionals. That oil uses 2100-2300ppm of Ca, AND about 300ppm of Sodium detergent in it. Very, very strong detergent/dispersant combination. Most convetionals use under 2000ppm of just Ca detergent; and those that do use Sodium as well usually have 1500-1600ppm of Calcium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back