Putting down dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
It hurts no matter what the animal is.
Over two years ago, we had to have our Seal Point Siamese Jasmine put to sleep as she was going into Renal failure. I still have flashbacks of being in that room and the doctor putting her asleep.
Her picture is still the wallpaper on my Iphone and that is still how I cope with it years later. She was a special cat, there will never be another one like her.
Now we have two: a Seal Point Siamese named Fanny and a Lynx Point Siamese named Mimi. While they are smart, attentive and great cats, it just isn't the same.
However, life goes on.

Originally Posted By: Olas
It was two weeks ago today I had to have one of my Greyhounds put down.

No Joke Shakira was an Irish ex-racer who we adopted when she was 4 years old so our other ex-racer, Tullyvin Judge, could have a fiend and some company.

About a month ago she started limping, checked her paws and they seemed ok so I left it to the next day to see if she was any different. Next morning she was worse so I too her to the vet for an X-ray. Anyone who knows greyhounds will know they are very soft and very sensitive, so I didnt expect anything to be wrong with her. After the vet looked at the X-ray he said there was no cancer, no arthritis, no broken bones, he gave her an anti-inflammatory injection and a course of glucosamine tablets.
Her limp seemed to ease off over the next few days, to the point that she was almost walking normally so I thought it she was better.

The day after she finished her tablets I came down in the morning to let them both into the garden to have a wee - Tully jumped up and ran outside, Shakira tried to get up but the minute she tried to move her leg she collapsed and started screaming - I ran to the car to put the back seats down and when I ran back in to pick her up and take her to the car she'd wet her bed because of the pain. The vet said it was nerve damage and that nothing could be done, and as she lay on his table howling in pain I held her and I cried.
I could tell the drug was working because her cries turned to whimpers and her breathing slowed right down and then it was the end.

I miss her and Tully misses her too, and tomorrow were going to the rehoming centre to look for new friend to keep us company on our walks.

It's terrible when they pass, but they have short lives. It's upto us to make sure those lives are the best they can be. A life without dogs would feel empty.

So, so true!

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: cb_13
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I probably will be the odd one here, but my family and myself never treated pets as family members. They were well taken care of and never abused, but never treated on the same level as a human being.

Nope, not the only one. I grew up on a farm. If I was sad every time an animal died it would have been a horrible childhood.

I too was raised on a farm. But we were smart enough to know the difference between livestock and family pets.

Just because I'm different is no reason to insult my intelligence. We're all different. Just because I'm not as sensitive/emotional as you are does not mean I am stupid.

Last edited:
There is a cure for this. A new puppy from a shelter holds the secret. The puppy will share the secret if only you give them a chance.

We have 4 dogs. We adopted 2. One we rescued in the wilderness, half starved, covered with open sores and angry. The 4th adopted us. After a failed search for the owner she stayed. She's sleeping on my feet as I type.

Dogs know things about life and love that we humans sometimes forget.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
There is a cure for this. A new puppy from a shelter holds the secret. The puppy will share the secret if only you give them a chance.

We have 4 dogs. We adopted 2. One we rescued in the wilderness, half starved, covered with open sores and angry. The 4th adopted us. After a failed search for the owner she stayed. She's sleeping on my feet as I type.

Dogs know things about life and love that we humans sometimes forget.

....and they're more loyal...

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I probably will be the odd one here, but my family and myself never treated pets as family members. They were well taken care of and never abused, but never treated on the same level as a human being.

Nope, not the only one. I grew up on a farm. If I was sad every time an animal died it would have been a horrible childhood.

Good to see that a few folks haven't lost sight of what animals are.
This business where owners consider themselves "pet parents" makes me disgusted. I do like dogs (not cats) but honestly the country has gone to dogs with selfish owners putting these animals through [censored] by getting outrageous expensive, complicated surgeries, and other ridiculous medical aid for them.

Remember the film "Old Yeller"? That was a time when owners knew and understood that in the end they are animals NOT children.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I find it interesting that some people who have had near death experiences, relate seeing past pets again. Whether this real or a function of our brains , it gives some comfort. I tend to think its real.

It's real. Works for both beloved passed-on people and pets.

It's very tough. Their presence grows into us, our experience, our nervous system, our psyche. Suddenly ending that is like cutting off an object on a mobile hanging from a ceiling: It's now out-of-balance and disturbed, set in motion, attempting to re-balance itself. Same with us. That part of us is no longer daily stimulated by them, our beloved pet. They're gone and we're still around to deal with the loss, the memories, the daily rituals and the final good-bye.

No shame in it though. I'm more of an animal-person than a people-person.

When I had to last face this was with my 17-yr. cat. In response, I wrote an kitty-obit. for her, with funny stories, and some photos and sent it to family & friends, as a way to mark her passing. I still miss her, she was such a raz-ma-tat-cat. Thankful for the time we shared together.

After God created a dog, He just sat back and smiled!

We're blessed by their companionship and loyality! Your pain will soon subside and you'll be left with lots of good memories over the years.

My wife had a snoodle (dust mop) before I met her. I had 2 Mastiffs. I got a 3rd (even bigger) Mastiff but she still married me. She says they are a lot of work. True but they bring me love and joy so I will put in the work, and $$.

The Neapolitan Mastiff goobers on your clothes. He was born that way and does not do it on purpose.

I have had to put to put a couple of dogs down. Never easy.

Last edited:
I tell you what... When my kitty Princess had to be put down.... Hardest loss I've dealt with except for my grandma. Thank goodness my mom was there... I cried like a baby. I loved that cat a whole lot. In the weeks that followed I would watch our videos and cry. Look at her pictures and get teary eyed. But I made a vow..that I would get another kitty in due time. Three weeks later when I could look at her pictures and not get upset.. I knew I was ready to get another cat. So, my lady and I went to the SPCA. This one tabby cat came up to me meowing... This is EXACTLY what Princess had done with me. I told my lady this kitty was the one. Took her out of her box.. Petted her.. She was so sweet. She had been found near a dumpster. I knew she was the one. Her name is Matilda.. Or Mattie girls
smile.gif

Grampi..... When you are ready in YOUR time... And you will know when that is... Get another pet. Because you will give that pet a great home. The hurt or pain will NEVER go away. It will just not reach and grab you has often over time. In fact most of the time ... It will be positive feelings and memories will be what you remember.
Thinking of you man... My heart goes out to you and yours.. Been there ..

It's tough... take the time you need to grieve.

I decided to try not having a dog for a while... it took me a few months to be ready to recruit a new buddy. You'll know when the time is right.

I have had to deal with it.

My wife grieves for weeks. I grieve more for dogs than I do for people, but within the hour I'm usually done with it.

We usually wait a few weeks and get a new puppy. We always have at least two dogs.

I would recommend getting a purebred mutt nothing that was overbred, but something with clear history of healthiness. I especially love a good cross.

Our large dogs usually hit 12 to 17 years. Better than most.

I will say this, if you aren't feeding a corn free food, make the switch.

Today we re homed a lovely 3 year old ex racing [censored] called Josies Gone.

She's settling in well and getting on fine with our other ex racer, Tullyvin Judge.

I was surprised to find out that they're related! They both share Top Honcho and Head Honcho as relatives! For Tully they're dad and grandad, for Josie they're grandad and great grandad. Both on the paternal side, but they don't share any other relatives - I think that makes them second cousins?

Either way, today has been a happy day and I'm super pleased for Tully to have a new friend to keep him company.

A new dog is always the answer
smile.gif

http://www3.greyhound-data.com/d?z=njJkWC&d=Josies+gone&x=0&y=0

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
I have had to deal with it.

My wife grieves for weeks. I grieve more for dogs than I do for people, but within the hour I'm usually done with it.

We usually wait a few weeks and get a new puppy. We always have at least two dogs.

I would recommend getting a purebred mutt nothing that was overbred, but something with clear history of healthiness. I especially love a good cross.

Our large dogs usually hit 12 to 17 years. Better than most.

I will say this, if you aren't feeding a corn free food, make the switch.

No corn fed dogs here. They only get the good stuff. At one time, we had 3 Mini Schnauzers, one Standard Schnauzer, and a Maltese. The Maltese was a rescue. We still have the Standard and the Maltese. Of the Minis, one was 14, the other two 13. The Standard developed a soft tissue sarcoma on his RR leg when he was 9 and we had to amputate. We figured there was a pretty good chance the cancer would pop up again somewhere else in his body, and it did, but the amputation bought him 2.5 years (and counting). He did fine on 3 legs, never missed it. Most of our dogs come directly from purebred breeders. We find reputable ones at the dog shows. I would also consider a rescue. There are a lot of sweet dogs out there that need a home. Maybe, after giving it some time, my wife may change her mind. I'm not gonna pressure her into anything...

Originally Posted By: Olas
Today we re homed a lovely 3 year old ex racing [censored] called Josies Gone.

She's settling in well and getting on fine with our other ex racer, Tullyvin Judge.

I was surprised to find out that they're related! They both share Top Honcho and Head Honcho as relatives! For Tully they're dad and grandad, for Josie they're grandad and great grandad. Both on the paternal side, but they don't share any other relatives - I think that makes them second cousins?

Either way, today has been a happy day and I'm super pleased for Tully to have a new friend to keep him company.

A new dog is always the answer
smile.gif

http://www3.greyhound-data.com/d?z=njJkWC&d=Josies+gone&x=0&y=0

Nice, uplifting post!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: JTK
It's not easy to go through this.

On the other hand, I think it's the least painful way to go for the dog and owners in the long run.

Case in point. My in-laws keep Great Danes. They pumped unreal amounts of dollars (that they don't have) into the last two when they were old and very sick, feeling too bad to put them down.

Twice I had to go over and help them load a dying and incapacitated 200lb+ dog into the car to take them in. On the last trip, the poor dog passed as my BIL and I got her into the car. IMO, that was tougher than anything and didn't need to be.

I've known people like this too, trying to save the dog no matter how sick or old it is...in reality, this is a sign of selfishness, keeping the dog alive as long as possible when they have a terminal illness and/or are old only serves to make the dog miserable for the remaining time it has. Our dog that is terminally ill is 12 years old, so we decided why put him through h e double hockey sticks for the remainder of his life and throw away thousands of $$ when he isn't going to live anyway. It's still just as hard to put him down, but at least he can enjoy (and we can too) the little bit of time he has left...

When Arizona the big red cat developed cancer, the vets advised me there was a new treatment; but it would have left him blind in one eye, and he'd have had to spend most of the week at a clinic, away from his home and me. He was 16. Part blind and in prison was no way to end his life, and the vet agreed with me. I gave him plenty of attention and whatever he wanted to eat for the last few weeks of his life, and I was there at the end.

My wife and I are animal lovers. At one point we had 5 dogs and 2 cats. We still have 2 cats, but we've had to put down 3 of our dogs over the last several years. One we had to put down just this past April, and now we just found out that one of our two remaining dogs has terminal colon cancer. The vet said he has weeks, to maybe a month to live. Having to put down two of our beloved family members this close together has been incredibly hard on both of us. My wife says that once all of the dogs are gone, she doesn't want any more because she can't deal with this end of it. It's hard on me too, but I think it would be harder not having any dogs. We've had a dog, or multiple dogs in our family continuously since 1995 and I don't know if I can stand not having any. Have any of you dealt with a similar situation, and if so, how did you deal with it?

Sorry about your loss grampi. I know exactly how you feel. My dogs are like my kids and it almost kills me when one passes. It devastates me when a family member or friend loses a dog I know well too. I really become attached to them. I like dogs better than I like most people frankly.

It will be 6 years come this August that I had to put my best bud Thunder( Black Lab )down. He had a long full life hunting, fishing, and just going everywhere with me. He was like a part of me. If I showed up somewhere without him people asked where he was.

He was 13 1/2 when that awful day came and I had to make that dreaded decision. That is old for a Lab who worked as hard as he did in his life so I can't really complain. God gave him to me for a long time. Still hurt like [censored] though when I lost him.

At the end, he had heart trouble, bad knees( both ACL's ruptured and repaired ), what we think was a tumor in his brain( caused equilibrium issues ), and other assorted ailments and illnesses. He never was slowed down by any of it except the tumor which hit him hard and started his downfall. He defied the odds and vet's prediction time and time again over his life though so to be honest, even though I knew better deep down, I guess I figured he would overcome the tumor too.

It all just became too much for him though and he went down fast. He actually hunted with me the last day of goose season in Feb of 2014, making 2 fine retrieves, and then he was gone that August. I woke up one morning and it suddenly became clear to me he was tired, hurt, and sick. He hadn't been eating well for a while and he just wasn't himself. Clearly it was time as the poor guy obviously had enough.

I called the vet and made an appointment and then my Dad, Sister, and I took him down to the marsh for one last romp. Well, more like a crawl at that point. I tossed a dummy for him in the water a few times but I had to help him out to get it so I only did a couple really short tosses. I let him carry it back to the truck as he always did then I got him up into the bed with my Dad and we all sort of stood/sat there for a while and just let him enjoy one of his favorite places.

After that we got him a cheeseburger at McDonalds( he loved those )and then I took him to the vet's and did what had to be done. Everyone there was in tears and my vet( 3 of them at the place )actually came out of surgery to do it. He wouldn't let anyone else. When it was over I didn't know what to do. I was weeping like a little kid and I couldn't leave him. Finally I did but I had to be helped out and driven home. It tore me up so bad it isn't even funny.

I was bound and determined that was my last dog. The pain was too much. But, my Dad really wanted another one( Black Lab of course )so I relented and in late November I drove to Virginia and picked up Sadie. I have to be honest while she took to me from the get go, and I had feelings for her and cared, I think I was unconsciously trying not to get attached. When I lost my Dad last summer that really tore me up. He lived with me for 18 years after my Mom died and we were best friends. I am not married so it was my Dad and Thunder then Sadie for my family.

If it wasn't for Sadie I don't know if I would have been able to cope with losing my Dad. There is no hesitation now regarding my feelings for her. In all honesty there never were. I just wouldn't admit it to myself. I am a sucker for a dog and when it is my own I really get attached.

I really can understand where you are coming from. It hurts so much when we lose them that it makes you not want another because you don't want to go through that kind of pain again. I still to this day break down and cry like a baby when I think about Thunder. Full on tear faucet! I am glad I have Sadie with me however even though I know I will be devastated again when her time comes. I may not get another one as fast as I got her after Thunder past but once she goes I will eventually at some point.

Sorry for the long ramble. It's a topic that is near and dear to me.

Granite State Thunder:

Saltmarsh Sadie:

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
My wife and I are animal lovers. At one point we had 5 dogs and 2 cats. We still have 2 cats, but we've had to put down 3 of our dogs over the last several years. One we had to put down just this past April, and now we just found out that one of our two remaining dogs has terminal colon cancer. The vet said he has weeks, to maybe a month to live. Having to put down two of our beloved family members this close together has been incredibly hard on both of us. My wife says that once all of the dogs are gone, she doesn't want any more because she can't deal with this end of it. It's hard on me too, but I think it would be harder not having any dogs. We've had a dog, or multiple dogs in our family continuously since 1995 and I don't know if I can stand not having any. Have any of you dealt with a similar situation, and if so, how did you deal with it?

Sorry about your loss grampi. I know exactly how you feel. My dogs are like my kids and it almost kills me when one passes. It devastates me when a family member or friend loses a dog I know well too. I really become attached to them. I like dogs better than I like most people frankly.

It will be 6 years come this August that I had to put my best bud Thunder( Black Lab )down. He had a long full life hunting, fishing, and just going everywhere with me. He was like a part of me. If I showed up somewhere without him people asked where he was.

He was 13 1/2 when that awful day came and I had to make that dreaded decision. That is old for a Lab who worked as hard as he did in his life so I can't really complain. God gave him to me for a long time. Still hurt like [censored] though when I lost him.

At the end, he had heart trouble, bad knees( both ACL's ruptured and repaired ), what we think was a tumor in his brain( caused equilibrium issues ), and other assorted ailments and illnesses. He never was slowed down by any of it except the tumor which hit him hard and started his downfall. He defied the odds and vet's prediction time and time again over his life though so to be honest, even though I knew better deep down, I guess I figured he would overcome the tumor too.

It all just became too much for him though and he went down fast. He actually hunted with me the last day of goose season in Feb of 2014, making 2 fine retrieves, and then he was gone that August. I woke up one morning and it suddenly became clear to me he was tired, hurt, and sick. He hadn't been eating well for a while and he just wasn't himself. Clearly it was time as the poor guy obviously had enough.

I called the vet and made an appointment and then my Dad, Sister, and I took him down to the marsh for one last romp. Well, more like a crawl at that point. I tossed a dummy for him in the water a few times but I had to help him out to get it so I only did a couple really short tosses. I let him carry it back to the truck as he always did then I got him up into the bed with my Dad and we all sort of stood/sat there for a while and just let him enjoy one of his favorite places.

After that we got him a cheeseburger at McDonalds( he loved those )and then I took him to the vet's and did what had to be done. Everyone there was in tears and my vet( 3 of them at the place )actually came out of surgery to do it. He wouldn't let anyone else. When it was over I didn't know what to do. I was weeping like a little kid and I couldn't leave him. Finally I did but I had to be helped out and driven home. It tore me up so bad it isn't even funny.

I was bound and determined that was my last dog. The pain was too much. But, my Dad really wanted another one( Black Lab of course )so I relented and in late November I drove to Virginia and picked up Sadie. I have to be honest while she took to me from the get go, and I had feelings for her and cared, I think I was unconsciously trying not to get attached. When I lost my Dad last summer that really tore me up. He lived with me for 18 years after my Mom died and we were best friends. I am not married so it was my Dad and Thunder then Sadie for my family.

If it wasn't for Sadie I don't know if I would have been able to cope with losing my Dad. There is no hesitation now regarding my feelings for her. In all honesty there never were. I just wouldn't admit it to myself. I am a sucker for a dog and when it is my own I really get attached.

I really can understand where you are coming from. It hurts so much when we lose them that it makes you not want another because you don't want to go through that kind of pain again. I still to this day break down and cry like a baby when I think about Thunder. Full on tear faucet! I am glad I have Sadie with me however even though I know I will be devastated again when her time comes. I may not get another one as fast as I got her after Thunder past but once she goes I will eventually at some point.

Sorry for the long ramble. It's a topic that is near and dear to me.

Granite State Thunder:

Saltmarsh Sadie:

Beautiful dogs and a nice post!

Last edited:
I have to agree with you that dogs can be a lot more enjoyable to be around than many people. Unless a dog is horribly abused or forced to be a fighting dog or something, a dog is usually about the best friend a person could ever have. Not like some people who will stab somebody in the back.

I just don't get along with cats as well as dogs. Cats are different. I loved our cats that we had but you just can't get that close with a cat. I was always a kind of dog guy, not a cat guy.

The only problem is these animals just do not live as long as a person. A typical human bering probably has a lifetime about seven dog lifetimes long. So eventually you have to deal with the death of dogs and cats.

Those are some beautiful dogs you have by the way.

This indeed is a sad time in a pet owners life.

May I suggest that you walk into a high kill anamal shelter and have a look around.

I know that you will find a friend and save a life at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back